Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #47: Odds and Ends

project eternity josh sawyer prototype torment dwarven forge kickin it forward

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Woah, the dwavern tiles are already at $200k. 

Also, you guys said environment with bells and whistle screenies are 2 week from now. But on the bottom of your post it says "see you next week". So which one is it?

It's not a contradiction. Next week we get an update and the week after another one with the environment showcase.

mstark

mstark

Oblivious of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Looking great! Love the idea of the "what do you choose to do" images.

I'm a bit concerned about the choice of typeface, many of the old IE games used typefaces with bad readability (most notably, Planescape: Torment, and it's considered an interactive book by many!). While Black Letter typefaces (or Gothic, a derogatory term, as they started being called in late medieval Italy—the period PE is largely based on) was still the common way of writing, it was rapidly being abandoned for a new type of script. During this period, many far more readable typefaces started making it into popular use.

I'm concerned because my eye sight is far from perfect, and extended reading on screen requires good typefaces (and relatively large sizes) for me. In printed books (and long form reading in general), serif fonts are generally used because they are considered more readable than sans-serif. However, serif fonts require high resolution (or high DPI, in print) to read better than a sans-serif, for that reason sans-serif fonts are usually the better choice for on screen reading (unless you happen to be on an above-average DPI (think "retina") screen).

Personally, I wouldn't like to see a sans serif font in Project Eternity (that would be too immersion breaking!), but maybe you could consider at least providing an alternative to Black Letter? Maybe give us the option to toggle the font to a highly readable serif, for visually impaired, dyslexic, or people who generally find it a chore to read for extended periods on screen? Many (Italian!) serif typefaces widely in use today were conceived in the 15th-16th century.

I realize the printing press hasn't been invented in P:E, so if a Black Letter font is the only non-immersion breaking choice, I hope there'll at least be an easy way of hacking a typeface with good readability into the game  :grin: (and maybe a way of toggling font-size?).

Some relevant (and good!) sources:

http://www.garamond....alian_typefaces

http://www.fonts.com...milies/oldstyle

Thanks for all the hard work! With best intentions,

A web typographer

• Lysen, SqueakyCat, Nithy and 2 others like this

Zoma

Zoma

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1360 posts

Get George Ziets to narrate. He has an awesome voice.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1274 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Once again I am totally impressed with the latest update - especially the opening panel showcasing the option of choices - awesome! 

I do have one issue tho - it's beginning to look like I'm going to have some back problems to deal with from sitting on the edge of my seat until this game is released! :thumbsup: 

StrangeCat

StrangeCat

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great Update!  I love the Northern look of the characters. 

As for the hat plume I first thought that was a four leaf clover!

Solviulnir the Soulbinder

Solviulnir the Soulbinder

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

mstark raises some excellent points about fonts and readability (or rather legibility) of the in-game text. I think it's quite an important issue - e.g. the "ability check" screens are an amazing concept, but the current font (despite being beautiful) is rather hard to read. Garamond, as mstark suggested, would be one of better choices imho. The screens would still retain their original character while being definitely more legible with a somewhat less calligraphic font. 

Thanks very much for another informative update! You are my heroes.

• Nithy likes this

HorseFD

HorseFD

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts

I really hope we get to see the waterfall scene animated soon.

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nice update! :yes:

Nithy

Nithy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Those Darklands-style C&C text selection screens are making my spine all tingly. I hope to whatever gods may or may not exist that narrative mechanic is in the final game.

• nikolokolus, Karranthain, WorstUsernameEver and 1 other like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I want my fur-clad barbarian to wear the plumed hat. That would rock.

You could name your barbarian "Norwegian Blue".  He'd have beautiful plumage.

radioactivelullaby

radioactivelullaby

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

afraid of asking the obvious here but this bridge in these two cutscenes is the very same damaged bridge we can see in the waterfall screenshot?

• Hormalakh likes this

Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Soldier of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thank you for the update, once again. No pressure but this is the game I have been waiting for since I learned computer games exist... or since I was born. Anyhow, looking forward to future updates and eventually playing the game. :yes:

• mstark likes this

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The pictures really give that Darklands feel. <3 so much
  • Nithy likes this

SunBroSolaire

SunBroSolaire

Custodian of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

afraid of asking the obvious here but this bridge in these two cutscenes is the very same damaged bridge we can see in the waterfall screenshot?

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's a hint that we'll see some actual gameplay? 

I love the idea of those decision screens. They should have them all through the game... On loading screens ("You enter the dark cavern..."), resting screens (inns, campsites, player stronghold), between chapters (Icewind Dale style). 

Can't wait for the waterfall demo  :aiee:

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5553 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I want my fur-clad barbarian to wear the plumed hat. That would rock.

You could name your barbarian "Norwegian Blue".  He'd have beautiful plumage.

One problem though, that's a more or less an extinct species, and when they go belly-up, they are often mistaken for being alive and have to suffer excruciating treatments on a Pet Shop counter down the street.

Bhazor

Bhazor

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So how long till Dwarven Forge announce Project Eternitiy themed minatures?

• Rostere likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7462 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

If this is the style of cutscene this project is going for, then I'm all for it.  Also, please tell me I'll actually be able to wear an awesome plumed hat like that in the game.

8)

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh dear, I do hope that is not the font they're going to be using for the game.  :huh:  It makes reading a plodding effort, particularly against a varying background.

Good news otherwise. Thank you for the update.

Decap_331

Decap_331

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Thx for the update.

What will be native resolution for the game? I mean if it works like baldurs gate, planescape, icewind dale and other IE games there is a native resolution like 640x480 or 800x600 giving it higher resolution will result in smaller objects. Im glad chose IE, 2d environment looks much, much more detailed. IE games with resolution patches still look great, 10 years+ after release.

In old d&d games i always chose mage as my main character. It was the most intresting class for me because, well, because you had so many spells and so many options with them in combat, massive croud control and aoe spells and simply single target spells that did a huge amount of damage and that all was in one class, leaving all fighter classes, with only gearing up option. Its really hard to get a good balance with so many classes, but if you will have druid and bard (chanter) make them worth taking them into the party. For example druids transformation in bg2 was totally pointless, (was bear, brown bear and wolf if i remember correct), what you can make is something like snake(for example) transform with poisoning damage so we could use it against specific creatures that are weak to poison damage, that will make such characters valuable for party (atleast in early stages) and atleast they will not be totally pointless.

Anyways, that is just an example of what can make us use different classes. And of course you can always get + 5 people in group, thats why i love d&d because other characters do matter, you play all 6 characters not only mage ot fighter or rogue or healer.

Greensleeve

Greensleeve

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That is one awesome hat. I'll be highly disappointed if I can't wear one myself. Y'hear?

Other than that, lovely update, even though it mainly just promises things to come. It does look as though the game is getting a solid foundation, which I'm very happy to hear.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, josh sawyer, prototype, torment, dwarven forge, kickin it forward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users