Schools for Class training

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to choose your profession?

• In character creation like in most IE games (IWD 1&2 and BG 1&2)
    • In a school of a certain profession during gameplay (TES5)
    • I don't care. I'll take what offer what Obsidian offer me!

Now I know this will go against IE games set, but it will sense of realism. Instead of choose your class in the character creation, the player can choose their class in a school during gameplay. These have been games that apply this mechanic already like TESV: Skyrim and I sadly mention Maple Story. Players can choose his or her profession during gameplay, and this can adding a sense of maturely and uniqueness to the player. For example

If the player wants to be a fighter, he and she can start at renowned barrack with a possible quest line

Or if the player wants to be a specific class like the monk, he or she will probably need to go a legendary temple

In the end, this adds a personal story elemental to the gameplay and it gives a beginning to how the player will face the trials ahead. Multi-classing can be done by going to multiple schools. 

I don't normally date planetouched girls, but when I do the Tiefling is already in the sack 

stay rolling my friends!  :fdevil: 

Someone did an immersion mod for Baldur's Gate where you start off as a little kid in Candlekeep. I liked the sentiment of it and I grew way closer to the game thanks to it, but it was a quite a bore. You were stuck to almost meaningless chore Quests added with a movement speed of a Baldur's Gate child (they have slower movement speed). Took forever to complete.

What would have been fun with such a prologue would've been to explore different classes and generate your creation like that, take this as an example:
* Go to Hull, he will train you with the sword. If you choose this you get a System Shock type of way of progression (where it teleports to the next section "You are now older").

You could go to Gorion to become more of a Mage, the Temple to become a Priest, a Thief if you do tricks with Imoen etc. etc.

Maybe you could do this 3 times.
* Child (10-15)
* Young  (15-20)
* Mature (20-25)

Each time you'd get a chance to specialize yourself. Take Warrior the first time, then take Wizard the second time, then Warrior again. Depending on how you do it you'd get different classes and bonuses (A different form of "Would you like to answer 10 questions and generate your class that way?").

However, this is unrelated wishes to P:E as I think Obsidian mentioned you would be able to pick your age at character creation.

Unless there's something like this, wherein the Tutorial area is a choice of Character Generation:
- "Would you like to Create your character using the Tutorial?"
- "Would you like to skip the Tutorial and generate your character sheet?"
- "Would you like to answer 10 questions?"

This way, the Tutorial could be a way to generate a character's early days, when you're done you could pick your age by more choices "Joined a Mercenary band for X years->[Event] Happens". For even more depth, depending on what the "Event" is, your character could perhaps even use this "Mercenary Experience" in dialogue such as:

"I used to be a General god dammit! Now no one knows what or who I am!?", it'd personalize the experience but I fear that it would require TONS of work so maybe not. Just putting it out there.

• Like 1

Now I know this will go against IE games set, but it will sense of realism. Instead of choose your class in the character creation, the player can choose their class in a school during gameplay. These have been games that apply this mechanic already like TESV: Skyrim and I sadly mention Maple Story. Players can choose his or her profession during gameplay, and this can adding a sense of maturely and uniqueness to the player. For example

If the player wants to be a fighter, he and she can start at renowned barrack with a possible quest line

Or if the player wants to be a specific class like the monk, he or she will probably need to go a legendary temple

In the end, this adds a personal story elemental to the gameplay and it gives a beginning to how the player will face the trials ahead. Multi-classing can be done by going to multiple schools. 

1. There aren't "renowned barracks." Barracks are literally just accommodations. Barracks don't even exist without standing armies, and standing armies can't be maintained by anything but a nation-state (or possibly a corporation, whole other can of worms.) Plucky capitalists in the feudal era (if you don't get the anachronism, just stop reading,) didn't stake their claim and open up a Mom & Pop Barracks.

2. Skyrim has no classes. Skyrim's one "class" is "the best at everything." It is not a model to be admired or emulated if you want any semblance of balance or good gameplay. Please do not suggest P:E should be like Skyrim. It will not be like Skyrim, and all you'll do is look silly.

I'd much rather stick with a character creator - I don't need to see my character's origin story of how they became a whatever, I'd much rather that time be spent telling the story of how a character got involved with whatever tale Obsidian have in mind for the main quest.  I don't mind it in Skyrim, but the whole point of that is just being a complete tabula rasa having an entirely original part in the world.   In the IE games, your identity is a little more nailed down, even if its just "you are a member of a mercenary party" which allows you to get into the meat of the game a bit quicker.  

1. There aren't "renowned barracks." Barracks are literally just accommodations. Barracks don't even exist without standing armies, and standing armies can't be maintained by anything but a nation-state (or possibly a corporation, whole other can of worms.) Plucky capitalists in the feudal era (if you don't get the anachronism, just stop reading,) didn't stake their claim and open up a Mom & Pop Barracks.

2. Skyrim has no classes. Skyrim's one "class" is "the best at everything." It is not a model to be admired or emulated if you want any semblance of balance or good gameplay. Please do not suggest P:E should be like Skyrim. It will not be like Skyrim, and all you'll do is look silly.

I wasn't make any suggest, I was try see which idea people would prefer. It seem most people pick the best choose.

you don't have agree to anything, but there are some people who would choose the opposite of your stance.

I'm not going to lie "renowned barrack" might have sound a bit trade-like but for example that was not intended. but barracks can be historic accurate, but in the end it is just an example.

Skyrim may not classes, but it gives the player a focus with the standing stones.

Thanks for your opinion 

I don't normally date planetouched girls, but when I do the Tiefling is already in the sack 

stay rolling my friends!  :fdevil: 

I like ingame character advancement in class over a pre-chosen option.
Often it feels kind of strange when you miraculously gain skills because you've killed X enemies all based on a checkbox you clicked on class creation.

Learning certain skills or abilities from books, trainers, schools etc makes more sense to me.
Course with the example of The Elder Scrolls you can become the master of all and that has its own downsides - similarly mixing classes can cripple you.
The ideal way I'd say would be to have an initial class/path you start out with as you make your character.

But being able to advance into certain directions with choices you make in the game.
Perhaps add the option to either go with some standard classes/mixed classes and then add a "do it yourself" option at own risk.

• Like 1

or choosing one skill may exclude learning another one. Either way I think this discussion is moot.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.