Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Eternity+Numenera References/Interaction?

cross-game relationship action consequence mirror

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Rostere

Rostere

Illuminatus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm against having any material story connections between the two games, on the the other hand it would be interesting to have thematical connections.

For example, a character in PE could be the complete polar opposite of a character in Numenera, and so on. Characters could also be identical, yet under different circumstances. A side-quest could explore the same issue through two angles. All of this would increase the value of playing both games without making references banal and too obvious.

• Osvir likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

^That.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm against having any material story connections between the two games, on the the other hand it would be interesting to have thematical connections.

For example, a character in PE could be the complete polar opposite of a character in Numenera, and so on. Characters could also be identical, yet under different circumstances. A side-quest could explore the same issue through two angles. All of this would increase the value of playing both games without making references banal and too obvious.

for example have a good and honest guard captain in one game, then use the same character model as a corrupt guard captain in the other to see who spots it or have a landscape picture hanging on a wall in one game that depicts an area of the other. subtle things like that are fine but not direct references of interaction between the 2 game worlds

• Rostere and Osvir like this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

^That as well.

That's the type of "Link" I am talking about. And although it is debatable, I think the Demon Cult and Demon fall into that category as well in the same way as the:

- Painting in Numenera
- Area in Eternity

It's the same thing, in my perspective of how I am viewing this idea.

Greensleeve

Greensleeve

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Honestly, there are two reasons why I'd be against this. First, I simply don't trust inXile enough to blindly buy into what they're proposing with Torment. It is ambitious, and I hope it turns out well, but I'll wait until the game is already made before I decide on that.

Secondly, P:E and the world they want to build is fundamentally incompatible with Numenera. Unless one wants to remove magic from P:E and make it science, which I feel would not only cheapen the setting, but destroy it, the two games and their settings cannot coexist. Thematic references are one thing, the same way there was a dude in power armor in Arcanum who was now refused entry to the magical city in the Vendigroth Wastes is an obvious reference to Fallout, but more than Easter eggs and in-jokes, and P:E is compromised. 

Huinehtar

Huinehtar

Technothaumaturgist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Easter eggs and in-jokes are fine for me too.

But I do not really want to have connections between these two universes because of two things:

- I would like that the two different teams working on these games (even if Chris Avellone would work on both) explore different pathways, different stories, expand creativity all along. It could extend with more games from each IP, novellas... And fans could help after playing these games: look at youtube video about music, or think about mods (even if Torment would not have a mod tool to modify the story)... Or why not fans trying to write something about each universe? I certainly will (even if I am not a professional writer or novelist), like I did for the early MMOs I played back in the days.

- TToN is based on the Numenera setting, and I remember Feargus saying some months ago, that he would be happy to make board games or Pen and Paper roleplaying games. Some video games had supplements or entire new PnP games, like Dragon Age, Diablo II, Myth... I would be very happy too if PE would have a PnP version, and if it would allow PC and GM to explore the PE's universe. Same thing for Numenera and the Ninth World and the Bloom...

Have a PnP campaign mixing these universes would fun, I agree, and as a GM, I would be tempted to. :p

But two universes, two times more of creatitivy!

Edited by Huinehtar, 26 March 2013 - 04:40 AM.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Update from Torment Devs and they marked it as [NOT PLANNED]. All good by me :)

Torment (Dev Team, Torment Website) responded  ·   Mar 27, 2013

There is one aspect here that could happen, which is if Chris wanted to make inside references to Project Eternity (the rest of us aren’t involved in that project, remember, and it won’t be released until well after our pre-production). So long as they didn’t break immersion, we’d be totally cool with that.

Direct content wouldn’t work though. Even with the underlying Unity Engine being the same between the two projects, what our programmers and what Obsidian’s programmers build on top of it will be very different. It’s kind of the same way as trying to drop a Planescape: Torment NPC file into Baldur’s Gate. Both used the Infinity Engine, but there would be enough unrecognized command calls in the PST file to crash the game.

Edited by Osvir, 27 March 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'd be ok if Ribsmasher showed up in both games.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm confused... is he "ribs-masher," or "rib-smasher"? Smashing ribs and mashing ribs are two completely different things. u_u

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I could see some half crazed Cipher babbling about the Bloom in rather nebulous terms, or other aspects of Numenera. I really wouldn't like to see anything as blatant as items or weapons drawing on the lore of either plane however, that fit in BG and IWD because after all they're on the same continent, but the Planescape ones always felt a little anachronous.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm confused... is he "ribs-masher," or "rib-smasher"? Smashing ribs and mashing ribs are two completely different things. u_u

I believe his rantings mention smashing ribs, so I would bet Rib-smasher.
  • Lephys likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4369 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Update from Torment Devs and they marked it as [NOT PLANNED]. All good by me :)

Torment (Dev Team, Torment Website) responded  ·   Mar 27, 2013

There is one aspect here that could happen, which is if Chris wanted to make inside references to Project Eternity (the rest of us aren’t involved in that project, remember, and it won’t be released until well after our pre-production). So long as they didn’t break immersion, we’d be totally cool with that.

Direct content wouldn’t work though. Even with the underlying Unity Engine being the same between the two projects, what our programmers and what Obsidian’s programmers build on top of it will be very different. It’s kind of the same way as trying to drop a Planescape: Torment NPC file into Baldur’s Gate. Both used the Infinity Engine, but there would be enough unrecognized command calls in the PST file to crash the game.

Thanks for the update, I still think its a good idea :)

RottenBrain

RottenBrain

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

As far as I remember, in Neverwinter Nights 2, Zhjaeve (a githzerai companion) made a reference to Dak'kon from Torment in a casual conversation you were having with her. It wasn't anything major - just a throw away line, how he was a famous githzerai hero or something. I would be totally cool with something like that in PE or TToN but definetely not a full cameo by a character or a location.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cross-game, relationship, action, consequence, mirror

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users