Torment: Tides of Numenera

Gorth

Prediction: GOTC! (C being Century)

That vid was spectacular. The music, the atmosphere, the cool environments, the weird props, the read-your-text-nerd-UI, the lot! I loved it all.

So far, I don't regret backing this game hard, like in among the top hundreds (foolish and desperate, but it seems it was for a good cause). :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've been hyped before so I'll try to keep it under control at this point, but... yeah. That does look sweet. A bit too much VO perhaps.

I've been a leetle concerned because of the setting; Numenera doesn't have the built-in thematic coherence of Planescape, so it's all up what the team can make of it. Fortunately it sure looks like they have a clear vision about it.

But yeah, at least they hit the atmosphere right out of the park. The music is pure PS:T of course, but the mix of weird, pseudo-medieval and sci-fie, squalor, ancient technology, and alien beings is somehow all very Sigil too, much more so than I expected/hoped.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

As long as the VO is good as well as focussed on companions and interesting NPCs primarily, I'm fine with it.

Interestingly, the vid, it says that T:ToN is made in the PoE engine, and here we don't see that transparent 3D models over 2D backgrounds issue, and also we see a brave decision of making the text UI centre stage. Given the MotB-ish and PST-ish team behind it, I think we can expect some really interesting stories and dilemmas, not to mention depth to the stuff we encounter and are supposed to deal with in the way we wish.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Decided to pop over to the Codex to see their reaction (as it's sometimes fun to see their reaction to things) and even they're excited too. I didn't have high expectations with inXile pulling this off but with WL2 and now Torment.. wow, they have their **** together. They got the UI right first time. I was also concerned about their decision with TB combat but having experienced how rtwp can go so wrong (PoE), I'm glad they did go with TB, not that combat was great in PS:T.

Seeing this has inspired me to read up on the Numenera setting over the weekend with the physical books I received from my pledge. Books have been sitting in my bookcase for months.

How the hell do I increase my pledge on that new website? I can't find any button about it.

/Edit: And looks like the website is down now. Doesn't work for me anymore at least.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Lexx: I was on it ten minutes before you wrote that, and now I just entered it without any problems again. It sure is up.

And Ganrich asked about that on the previous page, check out the help he got there. :)

Considering this is pre-alpha, it looks pretty damn good. The character animations look better than PoE. The capes look great. I'd like to know what resolution they're making it because the characters look slightly bigger and clearer than the ones in PoE. Maybe it's the art style that makes it look clearer or it was a design decision to make the characters slightly bigger. The music sounds like the original and the areas have that weird looking Torment feel to them like the original game. They've definitely nailed the feel of Torment imo. It'll be impossible not to compare both TToN and PoE considering they're using the same technology and both paying homage to the IE games, and ultimately decide which is the better game.

I didn't have high hopes after WL2 but man, they got their **** together.  I really like the enviroments, for some weird reason I get a FF7 vibe from them. That game was very beautiful. And dat Mark Morgan music :wub:

The UI is super. :takemymoney:

• Like 2

Yeah, the animations shown so far seem superb, and that other-wordly mood is spot on!

On top of the obvious similarities to PST, I also get a darker vibe in the story snippets as well as in the settings we've seen glimpses of, and that vibe is akin to MotB's fantastic areas. With people like Kevin Saunders and George Ziets behind it all, I shouldn't perhaps be surprised at all.

All creds to OE, though - they have saved a tonne of development time for InXile by doing all that engine stuff. :)

• Like 5

Yes quite enthused by that trailer, very Torment-ish ambience. Was that little quote at the end Mr Fargo's subtle dig at the SJF's? After all the gentleman is a gamer, formed a company that had the tagline, by gamers, for gamers and now is supposedly after decades of advancing game development judged to be a hindrance to the industry.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

-The animations *look* really nice but I'm not so sure I'll be crazy about that "walking when close to click, running while far away to click" when actually playing the game. I hope it will feel smooth to control.

-The Bloom areas look pretty plastic-y and not really organic and some of the textures are not so good. The outside area look a lot nicer. Nevertheless, the art design look really promising overall.

-Love the conversation interface. It takes its place, it's obviously an important part of a game like this.

-Writing looks great from what we see here.

-I hope that it will not have that amount of voiceacting in it as shown in this demo.

-Music is great though I think that horn makes it feel a bit too close to PS:T, feels a bit cheap-o.

Overall, this is a fantastic showing for how early on it is. Much better than I expected actually. Very excited about this.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

In my first playthrough, I'll try to play it as if the protagonist is me - any decisions I'll try to replicate what I would have done in those situations, ethically and for self-preservation as well as altruistic reasons. It will be like one big psychology test, and then I'll end up in some asylum afterwards. :lol:

• Like 4

Fargo definitely likes to take shots at the industry and create a us (gamers) vs them (publishers) vibe.  Whether he's truly bitter, really believes his own rhetoric, or it's just a marketing ploy (judging from the amount of pledges he's gotten for his 2 Kickstarters, a successful one), I don't much care, I mostly tune that stuff out and try to go by the games or game concepts themselves.

Anyway, the gameplay footage itself looks absolutely marvelous, in my opinion (as exhibited by the Sailor Moon heart eyes gif I posted).  I was really struck by just how insanely gorgeous everything looked.  It's hard not to compare it to what we've seen of PoE, and I'm thoroughly happy with what I've seen of PoE in action, but this...  my eyes literally popped open wide and my jaw dropped a bit when I saw TToN in action.  Much of it is likely because of how alien everything looked, that's part of what I loved so much about PST and Morrowind, but also everything just looked so beautiful and the animations were so good.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks