Torment: Tides of Numenera

Gorth

This is all likely working out quite well for Monte Cook.  I, for one, have gotten just as excited for Numenera itself as for TToN.  I went ahead and pledged at a level where I got the Numenera Players Guide (digital) and topped it off with the Numenera Torment Source Book (digital).  I also plan to get the Numenera Core Book in the future (I actually want a physical copy of that).  I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one that's going to buy a Numenera book because of TToN.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm kind of the opposite, most of the loot I get is either only incidentally interesting to me, or just filler. I get the hardcover sourcebooks, and I assume I'll read them at some point, but it's pure background as I don't PnP. I get a fifth copy of Wasteland 2 overall so I can, uh, yeah. I don't listen to game soundtracks, don't really have an interest in the novellas, and don't usually bother with pre-release versions of games. Maybe I shouldn't think about this kind of thing too much lest I realise how poorly I spent my cash in objective terms - but nah, the point is that I put in what I think getting a new game of this type is worth to me.

EDIT: To kind of illustrate the point, if it was the same cash for a CE box of the game plus a half-dozen T-shirts I'd probably take that one....

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I haven't played PnP in likely a decade, if not longer, but I'm kind of excited about Numenera.  I'm going to see if I can find a group to get together with and play it, once it's out.  Even if we can't get together physically, the interwebs can make it possible to get together virtually via skype, or some other means.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm theoretically interested in the PnP setting. Meaning: while I like science fantasy in general and the idea of a Book of the New Sun inspired setting in particular - what I've seen on the Numenera site is not as appealing as it could be. The class system seems to be the same old stuff, the names and terms thrown around aren't very evocative or appealing. The rules are important too because it would take me too much time and effort to convert a bad rule set into one of the good ones while keeping the setting intact.

I thought I could do it with Fading Suns which is probably the best science fantasy setting ever devised - that includes very annoying and clunky rules. I was going to adapt it to the very easy to learn and quick to play Savage Worlds rule set, but I simply can't bring myself to do it.

In my opinion Fading Suns and its multitude of supplements are really the last word on space opera/science fantasy. Everything else I've seen is already included there in some form or the other (Warhammer 40K, Dune, Burning Empires, Starcraft, general medieval fantasy, science fiction, horror, straight up adventure, mystery, diplomacy, Elite like space exploration and trade, extremely low tech to very high tech with everything in between,  etc.).

This is another damper on my Numenera enthusiasm - there is simply no way that Cook can outdo FS. And from what little we've seen his setting is far more limited in scope already.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I haven't played PnP in likely a decade, if not longer, but I'm kind of excited about Numenera.  I'm going to see if I can find a group to get together with and play it, once it's out.  Even if we can't get together physically, the interwebs can make it possible to get together virtually via skype, or some other means.

I haven't played PnP in about 10 years either, but we have made some pretty interesting boardgames with my pals based on the PnP games we played younger. If you have a little gamedesigner in you, you can probably adapt the numenera rules to a conventional board game (so far as I've heard, they're going to be simple). I know I'm waiting for the rulebooks to arrive; we have an ongoing nice boardgame concept in the making where we try to mix Monopoly, HoMM games, and old school dungeon crawling into a nice, not too longwinded boardgame, but there's some trouble with the rules.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I'll admit, PST rekindled my interest in 2nd Edition AD&D and I bought as much of the setting material as I could (later delving into Ravenloft and Al Qadim as well).

I'm not overly interested in Numenera yet, but I might become so after I play the game.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I haven't played PnP in about 10 years either, but we have made some pretty interesting boardgames with my pals based on the PnP games we played younger. If you have a little gamedesigner in you, you can probably adapt the numenera rules to a conventional board game (so far as I've heard, they're going to be simple). I know I'm waiting for the rulebooks to arrive; we have an ongoing nice boardgame concept in the making where we try to mix Monopoly, HoMM games, and old school dungeon crawling into a nice, not too longwinded boardgame, but there's some trouble with the rules.

That is a cool idea.  The biggest downside to that is that board games are more dependent on physically being there than even PnP.  While it wouldn't be impossible to play a board game over the interwebs, it would be significantly more difficult than PnP.  Still, it's a cool idea if I can get a crew together physically.

8)

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

:blush:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That is a cool idea.  The biggest downside to that is that board games are more dependent on physically being there than even PnP.  While it wouldn't be impossible to play a board game over the interwebs, it would be significantly more difficult than PnP.  Still, it's a cool idea if I can get a crew together physically.

8)

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

:blush:

Thanks. :)

Yeah, that's the downside, but I think the player is more focused and invested on the situation when it is to be started and ended on the same sitdown (not to downspeak the power of PnP, never, I had the most fun playing any game ever when we played few sessions of Cyberpunk about 10 years ago, but board games have their advantages over longwinded PnP sessions). Also, think of letter chess through a chatroom or e-mail.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

*raises hand*

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

This is all likely working out quite well for Monte Cook.  I, for one, have gotten just as excited for Numenera itself as for TToN.  I went ahead and pledged at a level where I got the Numenera Players Guide (digital) and topped it off with the Numenera Torment Source Book (digital).  I also plan to get the Numenera Core Book in the future (I actually want a physical copy of that).  I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one that's going to buy a Numenera book because of TToN.

This might just be me, but I think Monte may have made a mistake in picking the name.  I can't seem to not call it "Nurma-nurma," which makes it somewhat difficult for me to take seriously.  

And I do participate in a PnP group that I could see possibly playing a campaign in a setting like this. 

Now I hate you, because you brought me back very traumatic memories from my younger age...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7Sxpmr7wI

Numa, numa iei at you back :banghead:

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

This might just be me, but I think Monte may have made a mistake in picking the name.  I can't seem to not call it "Nurma-nurma," which makes it somewhat difficult for me to take seriously.  

And I do participate in a PnP group that I could see possibly playing a campaign in a setting like this. 

I almost always type it as Numenara before going back and correcting it. :|

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think that Numenéra is related to some Latin words: Numen and maybe aera.

Numen seems to be related to a supernatural revelation, a power linked to some gods.

Aera, somehow written éra, might be related to Air, something misty or from imagination.

Latin experts will correct me for sure.

Each time I have to pronounce Numenera, I say Numen-era, it's easier not to misspell. ;)

google translate says Numen = god, Era = goddess :D

One thing I've always found interesting about the combat is that I suspect fans of the, let's say, 95-'05 RPG generation actually have a remarkably high tolerance for bad combat. In one sense or another, most RPGs from this period have bad combat. Arcanum is terribly balanced. KOTOR1/2 is terribly easy and based around too few mechanics that are all implemented badly. NWN1/2 was clunky as hell. Divine Divinity is grindy-Diablo. Torment is not actually terrible, just completely mediocre in every way, which is pretty bad. And so forth. 

This is so true, I've never understood the vitriol directed at PS:T combat while Arcanum gets away with an even worse system; combat in Torment is merely uninteresting, in Arcanum it’s actively bad. In much the same way combat in the original Deus Ex is way, way worse than combat in Vampire: The Masqurade – Bloodlines but never gets the same heat for it.

My (paper) Latin-Dutch dictionary disagrees and this online one seems to agree with my paper one

• Numen: divine will, divinity
  • Era: Lady, lady of the house, mistress, woman in relation to her servants
  • Aera: era/epoch
  • Aer, aeris: air (as in the element of air), also used for the atmosphere

"Will of the divine lady" or something along those lines would be my guess.

NOTE: I've studied a few years of Latin but most of that knowledge has rather faded so I am by no means an "expert"

Edited by marelooke

And what about Divine Era? This could give some sense to me as well :)

My (paper) Latin-Dutch dictionary disagrees and this online one seems to agree with my paper one

• divinity

Clearly the game name needs to be changed to Torment: Numenera Numenity then; publisher backed market research suggests that's a far better name.

The sequel can be called Torment: Numenera 2 though.

Edited by Zoraptor

You're picking and choosing lower-tier result words to suit your position, neither of those comes up as the "best" match in GT. And as has been pointed out, more scholarly sources are even less cooperative. Edited by AGX-17

You're picking and choosing lower-tier result words to suit your position, neither of those comes up as the "best" match in GT. And as has been pointed out, more scholarly sources are even less cooperative.

And???

Did you by any chance noticed the " :D " emoticon at the end ? Did I anywhere state that my **** pulled right out of my ass just for fun is 100% true and only possible translation of the Numenera name???

*sighs* some people need to learn to take internet less serious...