Torment: Tides of Numenera

Gorth

I'm not really a fan of the stretch goal thing tho. Keep paying a bit more and more and we promise the game will be longer AND better!! Eh, that's already getting old.

Stretch goals I have no problems with. What really bothered me was what Obsidian did with Project Eternity: add content based on number of backers instead of total cash. Kinda puts a different spin on the whole "we need funds for content". Turned it more into a "This is market research that gains us cash. Now prove that there is enough of you to make it worth for us to truly dedicate ourselves to the project."

Then again I get cynical with things like that.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm not really a fan of the stretch goal thing tho. Keep paying a bit more and more and we promise the game will be longer AND better!! Eh, that's already getting old.

Stretch goals I have no problems with. What really bothered me was what Obsidian did with Project Eternity: add content based on number of backers instead of total cash. Kinda puts a different spin on the whole "we need funds for content". Turned it more into a "This is market research that gains us cash. Now prove that there is enough of you to make it worth for us to truly dedicate ourselves to the project."

Then again I get cynical with things like that.

To be fair, inExile has done the same thing - the number of backers increases the size of the Castoff's Labyrinth, (which seems to basically be their "Endless Paths").

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Welp... ~$61,000 to go for Paypal slacker backers to reach that $4.5m stretch goal. I'd hate to beat Torment when it does come out and say to myself: "Man, we could have experienced the definitive vision of inExile if only it had gotten that much more."

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

For some reason, I'm a bit angry that this raised more than PE.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's not regret as such, but I do feel that at $250 I kind of overshot my valuation for the game. The drop down to the next tier was too great, so in a way I could say their product gap between $95 and $250 "swindled" me. :p But nah, in reality it just means no T-shirt addon for me, something I almost try to get from the high profile drives. Still, once W2 is out and is well received, I'd be happy to reconsider that latter point.

Adjust for inflation so it'll look slightly better! :sorcerer:

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Hats off to inXile. I gave a greater dollar figure to PE and expected someone else to surpass Obsidian on KS. May as well be Fargo et al.

I don't expect Torment to be a better game than PE, but I'm still looking forward to see what InXile (+MCA) can do with both Wasteland and Torment.

Glad to see there's so much mutual support by both developers.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Stretch goals I have no problems with. What really bothered me was what Obsidian did with Project Eternity: add content based on number of backers instead of total cash.

The idea is to encourage backers to promote the game more widely, not just increase their own pledges, which does mean more total cash in the end.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. I think both games will be great, but have distinctly different feel. I've read a bit on Numenera's pen and paper system and the proposed cRPG ideas, and while it's exciting it's also fairly experimental in many areas. I was late to the party on Project Eternity (kicking myself for missing the kickstarter) and I haven't read much on it yet, but it seems to have more of classic feel to it. Remember, both companies are rooting for each other and share ideas and team members.

As far as the differences in funding go you could blame it on any number of factors. Torment is an established title with a VERY devout cult following so people we're more willing to loosen their death grip on their wallets based on their preconceptions of how good the game will be. Project Eternity is a fresh start with new title. (which seems more like a working title to me, but that's just my opinion) Also remember Funding games with kickstarter is a relatively new concept, so more people probably knew about kickstarter when Torment came around partially due Project Eternity's. Either way, I have no doubt Project Eternity will turn out great, Chris Avellone seems to be more heavily invested in it with more of an advisory role on Torment. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I did $87 ($75 Numenera Seeker digital tier & $12 Numenera Torment Source Book add-on).  Regardless of what anyone pledged, everyone that chipped in helped out, heck even those that didn't pledge, but only spread the word, helped out.

:)

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

A mere $20 for me!

/cheapskate

ditto

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

$125... for physical tier... hopefully I will be satisfied in the end :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Paid $35, if only for the artbook.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I've just lost 270 bucks for this (250 tier + shipping + 2 extra bucks for no apparent reason). Fargo and Colin better deliver; which, so far, it seems they will.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I reluctantly gambled a bit and contributed: going for the boxed game at $65 and hoping that it'll pay off down the road. Some people sing the praises of PS:T; I'm not one of them. But I liked some of what I read on the KS page, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will be pleasantly surprised. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Some people sing the praises of PS:T; I'm not one of them.

Hmm, you did take quite the gamble then, didn't you? I anticipate it being a variation on a theme, albeit a good one with its own flavor and features that enable it to stand apart from the original Torment as a worthwhile "spiritual successor".

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Hmm, you did take quite the gamble then, didn't you? I anticipate it being a variation on a theme, albeit a good one with its own flavor and features that enable it to stand apart from the original Torment as a worthwhile "spiritual successor".

It's often hard to tell how much I'll actually like a game before I play it, so in that sense every game purchase is a gamble. But I'm willing to support game development of the general type: single-player, multi-character CRPGs with depth. :)

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

PS:T wasn't perfect game but it had approach, which is rarely seen in cRPGs or computer games general. PS:T rised player's choice to select their own narrative over other gameplay mechanics and when you add to that good quality writing it make it very unique game.

inXile promise that T:ToN will take same rarelly walked approach, made me fund that game, more than anything else what they promised.

• Like 1

You know, it's interesting. Me, and many, many other people will always hail Planescape Torment as one of the best games EVER. But if one takes a piece of paper and objectively writes down the pros and cons of PS:T, They come to a strange realization: On paper, Planescape Torment is a horrible game.

Consider the gameplay mechanics:

1)extremely limited character customization - no armor choices, no race choices, no class choices at the beginning, and even later you only have 3 very *bland*, uninspired classes to choose from (fighter, theif or mage)

2) The combat is utter crap. even the most ardent PS:T fan admits that this is PS:T's weakest point.

3) The game is filled to capacity with fetch-quests. In the Hive, you are, quite literally a messenger from start to finish (go talk to this guy, go deliver this message to that guy, go find this, go get that. Over and over and over. And this doesn't change from chapter to chapter nor is it limited to just side quests (the Bronze sphere is a fetch quest).

4)Arcade-game-like tedium (see: the modron cube. which, btw, you can do over and over again. And for that matter, *every* dungeon respawns) And the dungeons themselves are simple, single-level maps. (see: under sigil, curst prison; Hive catacombs)

It's a testiment to PS:T's outstanding storyline and world richness that 1-4 are dismissed away as nothing of consequence. That they're all acceptable features in an RPG according to the 'old schoolers', and in some cases, seen as wonderful parts of the game! I can assure you though, that these are not the *current* standards of anyone on this forum. If Josh Sawyer comes here tomorrow and announces that Project Eternity will not allow your protagonist to wear armor, or use Ranged weapons, and that the Infinite Dungeon will be just as mindless and monotonous as the Modron cube, it'll cause a sh** storm. It will constitute something UNACCEPTABLE. But again, Planescape got away with it....

Edited by Stun