Torment backers trying to steal our MCA!

I dunno about these extra kickstarter goals.

150,000 for him? Won't believe it unless I see a picture of them handing him a check with 150,000 on it. 

All dollars in the stretch goal will not go directly to Chris. He will be there just as a "designer". Everything he designed will need to have backed with programmers, artists and similar workers, and this means extra work and cost.

the relationships between studios/ devs do become more murky.

Its not that murky. Chris is in a leading position in Project Eternity, and in a designer position in the new Torment game. Same person can work in different job categories in different games.

inXile already stole him once for Wasteland 2 now this!  I am filled with righteous indignation and outrage!

You

know if the same people are going to keep working for both companies

maybe they should just...you know...become one company.  Obsdianxile

It is better this way. If inXile and Obsidian were unified under a same name (e.g. Black Isle), they had to focus one game each time.

Some people only heard Chris's name and don't know other people, however there are great leaders and designers in both team. Seperation of teams means more games by the companies.

Edited by Bonecrusher

150,000 for him? Won't believe it unless I see a picture of them handing him a check with 150,000 on it. 

perhaps you were kidding, but that's just not how stretch goals work at all. The idea that the amount of money between stretch goals is literally the cost of the following stretch goal is not correct, not sure why so many people seem to think this...

All money is supposed to go into making a better game (more writers and coders, better quality assurance, and of course once all that has been fulfilled, peoples' pay going up); adding a stronghold to PE, for example, didn't cost 200k, just as hiring George Ziets likely didn't cost exactly 100k.

They totally don't increase people's pay after these goals are reached. 

I'm not sure on what basis you're assuming this, but it seems likely enough that they can't plan expenditures out down to the penny (not to mention the amount left aside for patches, etc.), and that any extra isn't just going to be thrown out and will therefore end up in the pockets of the devs. I don't see anything wrong with this, but it seems like a pretty obvious possibility; so I'm not seeing what makes you so sure that extra money won't be added to the pay of the devs...

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

perhaps you were kidding, but that's just not how stretch goals work at all. The idea that the amount of money between stretch goals is literally the cost of the following stretch goal is not correct, not sure why so many people seem to think this...

All money is supposed to go into making a better game (more writers and coders, better quality assurance, and of course once all that has been fulfilled, peoples' pay going up); adding a stronghold to PE, for example, didn't cost 200k, just as hiring George Ziets likely didn't cost exactly 100k.

I'm not sure on what basis you're assuming this, but it seems likely enough that they can't plan expenditures out down to the penny (not to mention the amount left aside for patches, etc.), and that any extra isn't just going to be thrown out and will therefore end up in the pockets of the devs. I don't see anything wrong with this, but it seems like a pretty obvious possibility; so I'm not seeing what makes you so sure that extra money won't be added to the pay of the devs...

Because it's a job?

When you are hired by a company you agree to work for a wage, they aren't going to give you more money just because they have more money, that would be silly. 

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

Because it's a job?

When you are hired by a company you agree to work for a wage, they aren't going to give you more money just because they have more money, that would be silly. 

Sure, except that when I say that the pay of the devs will go up, I am referring to the pay of InXile. What exactly the money goes to is irrelevant to my point. InXile is developing the game, InXile will be receiving any excess money.

InXile=developers.

You are making a distinction between some specific employees of InXile and InXile itself, I'm not. Just a difference in reference I suppose, no real argument here.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Sounds very healthy for both games. I'm hoping for some dimensional references between both games.

Such as a crazy person who is terrorized by inner demons or whatnot in Eternity, but in Numenera there is an evil mastermind demon that is pulling the strings into some abyssmal rift. Of course if you only play 1 game (let's say Eternity in this case) you'd be seeing a crazy person, but if you play both games it might be more clear about their relation.

Perhaps not core story stuff, but side story definately. Gods can make cameo's, characters, monsters, concepts, ideas etc. etc.

If both games use the same engine (the developers create an awesome engine together) there could even be an area that is used in both games, not to mention assets from both games. "The Fade" type of thing. Best way to explain it: I play Numenera, get to this "The Fade" area~do my stuff there, get back into the game. When I play Eternity, I get to this "The Fade" area and instantly "Oh ****! I've been here in Numenera!" and it gets suddenly (in my own opinion) so much more awesome on so many levels. One level of awesomeness would be to be able to leave something in this area and then be able to find it in the other game  o:)

• Like 1

Sounds very healthy for both games. I'm hoping for some dimensional references between both games.

Such as a crazy person who is terrorized by inner demons or whatnot in Eternity, but in Numenera there is an evil mastermind demon that is pulling the strings into some abyssmal rift. Of course if you only play 1 game (let's say Eternity in this case) you'd be seeing a crazy person, but if you play both games it might be more clear about their relation.

Thats an ingenious idea, there could be some synergy. Not too much but some links. A good example could be a some kind of Demon cult in PE but the actual Demon lives in Numenera

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

They are already 83% there (2.89 mil / 3.5 mil)...

Well, inXile claims that this will not interfere with Avellone's work on Project Eternity.

Let's hold them accountable to that!

He's already done with his work on Wasteland 2. And P:E isn't due out for over at least a year.

Re pay, it's very common to have bonuses of various types in this industry, as well as profit-sharing, co-ownership and so on and so forth. Where I work for example distributes 10% of net profit as bonus pay for all employees. It's also pretty common to have a bonus if your project goes under budget.

It wouldn't strike me as odd at all that crowdfunded projects would have bonus structures tied to the success of the crowdfunding effort -- especially so in a creative field like games, where as I've understood it a bunch of the people working on the pitch worked for very low or no pay with an understanding that inXile would make it up to them if and only if the pitch succeeds.

With risky ventures or startups, it's also fairly common for devs -- especially experienced devs who have other options but really like the idea of the startup -- to agree to work for less than industry average until the venture is profitable, in exchange for a stake in the company.

In both cases, a highly successful crowdfunding campaign could mean higher pay for the devs.

I do not see anything wrong with that at all.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Methinks the point isn't whether or not they'll EVER receive extra money, but WHEN they'll receive that money. Like Junta said, if they get a bonus, after all's said and done (and they've made the quality game they promised), then I don't see a problem.

The point made earlier was that, when they earn another $150,000 for the next stretch goal, they don't just hire on a person and give them THAT 150,000 dollars (or even ANY 150,000 dollars, even...). Sure, part of that money probably goes to paying that person for their 40-60 hours a week, but, unless you're suggesting they shouldn't get paid for their day job, I don't understand what the problem could be with this.

"Whoa whoa WHOA! You're going to use backer money to PAY YOUR DEV TEAM?! WHAT THE EFF, MAN! THIS ISN'T A CHARITY! I EXCEPT EVERY PENNY OF THAT TO GO DIRECTLY TO SOFTWARE AND DEVELOPMENT KIT PURCHASES AND 8 1/2 X 11 PAPER! No, no you cannot pay the office's electric bill with it, either, u_u"

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

MCA feeling overwhelmed, creates a random MCA quote generator to handle all of the extra responsibilities. All of the decisions will be based on that.

Still comes out as much better than Aliens: Colonial Marines.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Still comes out as much better than Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I think that game would've been loads better if the aliens had been attacking 18th-century colonial America and the "marines" were just naval crewmen. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

First they came for George. And I said nothing.

Then they came for Chris. And I said nothing.

Then they came for me. And there was no one left to say anything.

In all honesty though I thouroughly support the cooperation between the two companies. Just waiting for the inevitable Voltron moment.

voltron-o.gif

OUR FORCES COMBINED

• Like 1