You can buy it on Steam if you wish.

Or you can make the sensible decision and buy it from GOG.

It will not require Steamworks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If you want cloud saving, it's not the sensible decision. I wish GOG offered that.

I'll take DRM-free over cloud saving any day.
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nope no steam. I'm pretty sure it'll only require electricity. Although, if you use a steam-generator to provide power to your computer, then that's fine, too. ^_^

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If you want cloud saving, it's not the sensible decision. I wish GOG offered that.

I don't dislike Steam at all but I always try to support GOG when I can, so I'll purchase PE through GOG in this case

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@KaineParker:

Oh, I get it, believe me. I'm just saying there are sensible reasons to prefer the Steam version, and that I really wish GOG could be at parity with Steam in terms of convenience. I get why they aren't, but it'd be nice.

To be honest, I wish Obsidian would sell it through the Humble Store more than anything. I can understand why they wouldn't, I suppose, but being able to have a DRM-free GOG version as a backup for my Steam version would solve all of my issues in a way the current mutually exclusive choice doesn't.

I'm not sure I'd consider cloud-saving of games a "sensible reason." Maybe a personal preference, but "sensible?" Not really. :p

...that's not an anti-Steam comment. Just saying, heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@LadyCrimson:

Bah, semantics! :p

No, cloud saving is a pretty big deal to me. Admittedly, my living situation might not be typical. I live with my parents (yeah, yeah, get yer jabs in ;) ), who are divorced and remarried, and I tend to go from one parent's house to the other regularly. I have different but roughly equal comps at each house. I'm already a forgetful person, and the hassle of manually copying new save files into Dropbox every time I go from one comp to the other is annoying enough when I remember to do it.

So, you know, a quick set-it-and-forget-it cloud-saving thingy like Steam? Pretty much essential for me. At least, if I wanna play PE at both houses. I realize it's not that important to a lot of people, but in my current situation, yeah, I'd say "sensible reason" is the correct term. :p

And I'll gladly take Steam's ease of use and convenience over DRM free any day, of course, Steam is the only DRM I don't mind.  Something like securom drm though.  screw that.

• Like 1

And I'll gladly take Steam's ease of use and convenience over DRM free any day, of course, Steam is the only DRM I don't mind.  Something like securom drm though.  screw that.

All DRM is cancer. If you're willing to pollute your PC with it for the sake of "convenience", go ahead. I'll happily spend the extra 5 minutes it takes to install mods to a GOG(or similar) DRM-free version rather than rely on hand-holding.
  • Like 1

All DRM is cancer. If you're willing to pollute your PC with it for the sake of "convenience", go ahead. I'll happily spend the extra 5 minutes it takes to install mods to a GOG(or similar) DRM-free version rather than rely on hand-holding.

Watch out bro; Valve's trying to steal your soul with their evil DRM.

Also anyone willing to pollute their PC for the sake of "entertainment" is a fool; **** video games.

Let's be fair, Steamworks DRM is a benign tumor. There are far greater evils out there (EA, I'm looking at you).

Project Eternity will not require Steam to play. You can get it DRM-free from GOG.

Having worked as a consultant for quite a while I can say Steam's DRM is pretty terrible. It occurred more than once that I'd arrive at my hotel (no internet connection) and Steam would refuse to let me play any games due to some Steam update it'd detected the last time I had used it.

That meant 5 days without any Steam games, and lo, by then most of my 'modern' games were on Steam. Good thing I always brought a book as well.

So I started to buy games on disk again, only to be betrayed (well, the words that actually come to mind won't make it through the filter I'm sure), because half of them require Steam anyway (I'm looking at YOU Skyrim, among others), without prior mention. The same goes for Uplay (Far Cry 3) and Origin (Mass Effect 3) for that matter.

Anyway, I still avoid Steam if it's an option, alas it very often is not (unless you consider pirating an option, me, I don't). And no Steam or Origin or Uplay is NOT a choice, out of them three I'll take Steam any day.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

I'm definitely no fan of DRM and maybe I'm naive' but I look at Steam as more of a "service" then some onerous 3 headed dog guarding the gates of Hell.  It's really never gotten in my way in the 7 years or so I've used it.  Compare that to my experiences with EA's Origin (uninstalled and will never use again) or Ubisofts' old implementation of Uplay and there's just no comparison.  I also like GOG.com quite a bit too and the 20 or so games in my library can attest to that.

In any case, there's no right or wrong answer here only preferences, and the fact that users have a choice with the way P:E will be delivered is all that really matters.  Do what you like.

Let's be fair, Steamworks DRM is a benign tumor. There are far greater evils out there (EA, I'm looking at you).

Haha. Petition to change EA's name to "ENOUGH Already!" inc.
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Having worked as a consultant for quite a while I can say Steam's DRM is pretty terrible. It occurred more than once that I'd arrive at my hotel (no internet connection) and Steam would refuse to let me play any games due to some Steam update it'd detected the last time I had used it.

That meant 5 days without any Steam games, and lo, by then most of my 'modern' games were on Steam. Good thing I always brought a book as well.

So I started to buy games on disk again, only to be betrayed (well, the words that actually come to mind won't make it through the filter I'm sure), because half of them require Steam anyway (I'm looking at YOU Skyrim, among others), without prior mention. The same goes for Uplay (Far Cry 3) and Origin (Mass Effect 3) for that matter.

Anyway, I still avoid Steam if it's an option, alas it very often is not (unless you consider pirating an option, me, I don't). And no Steam or Origin or Uplay is NOT a choice, out of them three I'll take Steam any day.

Something similar happened to me. Luckily I had PST installed(from GOG)and was able to keep myself entertained throughout my stay without having to read a book.

What really pisses me off about Steam is that it is required on a good number of 3rd party games, even if you did not purchase them through Steam. You shouldn't have to have third party software that you could run the game perfectly without to be able to play the game.

What really pisses me off about Steam is that it is required on a good number of 3rd party games, even if you did not purchase them through Steam. You shouldn't have to have third party software that you could run the game perfectly without to be able to play the game.

I remember picking up Fallout: New Vegas at midnight, from Gamestop (in a physical, collector's edition box), only to discover that Steam would not let me install it and play it until midnight PACIFIC time (2:00am in my time zone)! Seriously... what is that accomplishing besides pissing people off?

But, yeah, having a physical copy of a game, and having to install/manage the game through something like Steam? Kinda sucks. I don't really hate Steam, itself, or anything. But, I dislike unnecessary crap like that.

A lot of DRM is basically the game company saying "We're just going to constantly punch everyone who buys our game in the stomach... you know, to deter people from trying to pirate it." Then, people say "Hey, get rid of this horrendous DRM, please!", and they say "Hmm... we'll consider stopping the incessant stomach punches." And, the funny thing is, the people who still take the time to actually circumvent the DRM don't even have to deal with the stomach punching at all!

But, meh. Like I said, Steam, itself, isn't too terrible, really. Just occasionally. :)