What are you playing now?

I just finished Lonesome Road and with it the last of Fallout:NV dlc's...*sniff*

And now ladies and gents, it's time for some more MCA! *launches Planescape: Torment*

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I've been playing Age of Conan. I'm almost off Tortage.

I don't think I ever made it off Tortage :(

No reason to leave Tortage, it's the best part of the game.

I played 4 different classes through Tortage and it was a blast.  But then I'd hit the big world and completely lose interest.

So, I started messing around in Skyrim again yesterday.  In games like this, my tendency is to settle into particular method of play that feels "right," after which I can't really enjoy playing some other type of build.  I experimented with the game a bit when I first played it a year ago, but I just started a new character in pretty much the same vein as my favorite previous character. 

So I'm back with an Argonian who came to Skyrim because he enjoys mountain climbing, and who thinks that all these Nords are nuts with all this "Dovalkin" nonsense.  (Not to mention being mostly racist jerks or outright bandits.)  They've just never seen an Argonian and a Dragon together before: clearly, I can learn Dragon-talk because we're cousins.  Archery-Stealth-OneHanded type build.  Alchemy is often my favorite part of an ES game (something is just thrilling about discovering all the properties of reagents by blindly mixing them together), but I'm going more into the smithing this time than I have in the past.  And I do like how it makes me engage more with the gameworld--  I go hunting for Deer just to get the hides, and discovering a new Mine is an exciting experience. 

This install is pretty bare-- all I've got is SkyUI and a mod that makes the roads show up on the world map.  What must-have mods am I missing?  I have none of the DLC, but if this holds my interest for more than a few days, I may look into buying some of it. 

More GRID for me.  I've fallen in love with the Nissan Skyline.  That car is a blast to drive, and my favorite of the ones I've been able to afford so far.  It has pretty much the perfect handling characteristics for my preferred driving style.  Of course, I haven't been able to afford anything ridiculously fast like the Koenigsegg CCX yet.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have 4 DAO playthroughs under my belt and at this point, I greatly prefer DA2, even with its obvious issues. I think DAO gets stale really quick.

Would that be due to the way the story is told then? Because that I can imagine, I've started a lot of playthroughs in DAO, but only finished one and this one was near completion when I abandoned it (few companion quests to go and then Landsmeet). The extreme railroading gets really annoying after one playthrough (oh, the Fade, again, yay).

But I find DA2's combat so terribly boring (and immersion breaking tbh, constantly spawning enemies etc) that I never managed to get anywhere in my second playthrough even though the storyline at least was better told than in DAO (and I won't be picking up DA3 unless it gets raving reviews of people who's opinion I actually trust). I'd have greatly preferred they had taken DA:O and improved on its weak points instead of taking Mass Effect and cramming Dragon Age in it.

Anyway, probably going play some Divine Divinity followed by some DA:O.

So, I started messing around in Skyrim again yesterday.  In games like this, my tendency is to settle into particular method of play that feels "right," after which I can't really enjoy playing some other type of build.  I experimented with the game a bit when I first played it a year ago, but I just started a new character in pretty much the same vein as my favorite previous character. 

So I'm back with an Argonian who came to Skyrim because he enjoys mountain climbing, and who thinks that all these Nords are nuts with all this "Dovalkin" nonsense.  (Not to mention being mostly racist jerks or outright bandits.)  They've just never seen an Argonian and a Dragon together before: clearly, I can learn Dragon-talk because we're cousins.  Archery-Stealth-OneHanded type build.  Alchemy is often my favorite part of an ES game (something is just thrilling about discovering all the properties of reagents by blindly mixing them together), but I'm going more into the smithing this time than I have in the past.  And I do like how it makes me engage more with the gameworld--  I go hunting for Deer just to get the hides, and discovering a new Mine is an exciting experience. 

This install is pretty bare-- all I've got is SkyUI and a mod that makes the roads show up on the world map.  What must-have mods am I missing?  I have none of the DLC, but if this holds my interest for more than a few days, I may look into buying some of it. 

I apologize in advance for being lazy but I'll refer to a post I made on the Steam forums when this very question came up.

Of all those *definitely* get the unofficial Skyrim patch (and the hi-res textures one too if you use those).

I have 4 DAO playthroughs under my belt and at this point, I greatly prefer DA2, even with its obvious issues. I think DAO gets stale really quick.

What kills replay value of DAO for me is, ironically, the origins and then Ostagar.  Not that either are necessarily bad, but that they're LOOOOOONG.  If I can get past those two sections and make my way to Lothering, I can generally get back into replaying the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What kills replay value of DAO for me is, ironically, the origins and then Ostagar.  Not that either are necessarily bad, but that they're LOOOOOONG.  If I can get past those two sections and make my way to Lothering, I can generally get back into replaying the game.

the mage tower is insufferable for me now

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yeah last few times I played DAO I thought the mage tower and all the switching to be rather tedious.  Not so the first few times I'd played it when the game came out.

That said, I also understand the issue with Ostagar - a lot of that seems to be busywork given while trying to introduce the player to various gaming concepts but doesn't hold up as well after repeated plays.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

the mage tower is insufferable for me now

There's a mod that lets you skip the fade section while still getting the stat boosts. I'm not sure if it will effect any choice carryover into the sequels though.

• Like 1

More GRID for me.  I've fallen in love with the Nissan Skyline.  That car is a blast to drive, and my favorite of the ones I've been able to afford so far.  It has pretty much the perfect handling characteristics for my preferred driving style.  Of course, I haven't been able to afford anything ridiculously fast like the Koenigsegg CCX yet.

Eh, In games I've always been kinda partial to GTR's.

Although nothing will beat the 458.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've been playing Age of Conan. I'm almost off Tortage.

I don't think I ever made it off Tortage :(

No reason to leave Tortage, it's the best part of the game.

I played 4 different classes through Tortage and it was a blast.  But then I'd hit the big world and completely lose interest.

Exploring Hyboria is the point of the game. Tortage is so very small and there are only so many Picts you can mow down before it gets old.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Would that be due to the way the story is told then? Because that I can imagine, I've started a lot of playthroughs in DAO, but only finished one and this one was near completion when I abandoned it (few companion quests to go and then Landsmeet). The extreme railroading gets really annoying after one playthrough (oh, the Fade, again, yay).

But I find DA2's combat so terribly boring (and immersion breaking tbh, constantly spawning enemies etc) that I never managed to get anywhere in my second playthrough even though the storyline at least was better told than in DAO (and I won't be picking up DA3 unless it gets raving reviews of people who's opinion I actually trust). I'd have greatly preferred they had taken DA:O and improved on its weak points instead of taking Mass Effect and cramming Dragon Age in it.

Anyway, probably going play some Divine Divinity followed by some DA:O.

What other people alluded to, but in my case it's also the gameplay itself isn't that interesting (I really think they were onto something when they tried to speed things up a bit in DA2), tends to lead to a situation where I try to get storm of the century as fast as possible and then just spam it, and that every damn section just runs on for too ****ing long. Then there's the massive info dump NPCs etc. That game really feels like work.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I just finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown.  Pretty fun I thought (but having never played the previous X-COM games including the one this is a remake of, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt).

If you liked the new X-Com and were curious about the older X-Coms then you may like this game that's not called X-Com but is more like the old X-Com than the new X-Com when it's released later this year.

I just finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown.  Pretty fun I thought (but having never played the previous X-COM games including the one this is a remake of, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt).

If you liked the new X-Com and were curious about the older X-Coms then you may like this game that's not called X-Com but is more like the old X-Com than the new X-Com when it's released later this year.

I hope it's good, because I'd love to have two games in this genre that rock, but Xenonauts is an old school tribute game.  That means it looks old school, which is fine but I can also play the original and get a similar experience.  The new Xcom is a fantastic reboot that stays true to the genre and concept, but updates it for new generations.  

• Like 1

Or he may be bored immediately.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I'm back to feeling uninterested in spending any time playing games. :(

More my "fault" rather than lack of interesting games to play. Just need more and longer breaks from gaming all the time, seems like.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

fewer and fewer games seem to really grab my attention nowadays

not sure if its my age or if its the quality/type of games available

im guessing the latter, because i spent months playing new vegas when it came out.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I definitely think it's at least partly due to less and less games are made that are what I'd call my type of game. Certainly most AAA titles make me yawn even just reading about their concept. And then there's the story/chr/setting repetition. Loved NV to death but I'm not sure I'd love another Fallout game. Altho if anyone could make me want to revisit that setting, it'd be Obsidian....not Bethesda.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What if Boone was in it? :p

Boone as a companion might even make me like Diablo3. Well, not really, but it would make me laugh. :biggrin: 

Moar GRID, moar moar moar!  I got a B level license and a teammate now, so it's soon time to step up to some more serious races with beefier cars.  I can just about afford a beefier car now too.  Hopefully the higher tier races are also longer, at least some of them.  On the difficulty level I'm playing at (Savage), starts are a real pain since I almost always have to start mid pack or worse.  In a 3 lap race I just can't afford to take it easy through the first several corners when there is a wall of cars in front of me, because I simply won't have time to catch the leaders if they pull far enough ahead.  If I had even 5 laps to work with, I could take it easy (sort of) until the pack thins out a bit, but as it stands, that's just not an option (unless I want to finish well down the running order), so I have to bang my way through.  That results in getting spun out and having to restart the race more often than I'd like.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks