What are you playing now?

I love when people state "I have no time for long games" and then go and buy the next 10 hour game. Gee, you don't think three 10 hour games kind of add up to one 30 hour game?

You do not lose more time from a long game, you only save more money from not having to pay 3 x $60 for the same amount of gaming time.

I can certainly understand wanting shorter games in at least one respect. I like Gothic 2, it's a good game but I have never finished it despite getting a long way into it on three occasions. Each time it was because I had to suspend playing for a while due to time constraints and I completely lost the thread of where I was and what I was doing when I got back. If it had been 10 hours long instead of 80 hours long I would have finished it those three times. Not finishing wouldn't happen with a shorter game that gave me equivalent enjoyment, something like AP maybe, as there is a lot less chance to get distracted over that shorter time.

Personally I don't really care that I haven't actually finished G2, I've played G3 so I know what happens, but there is a certain satisfaction is knowing that something is finished.

• Like 1

i loved bioshock when it came out, but bioshock infinite so far feels a bit.... dated

i'll keep at it, but im kinda disappointed after the first couple hours - very linear start, reminds me more of call of duty than system shock 2

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The games aren't really noir. More so a mix of 30s-50s art/architecture/caricatures.

B:I Takes place in 1912.

Which is one of the more glaring anachronisms in the plot, which will hopefully be addressed/resolved by DLC.

Yeah, I haven't paid any attention to B:I since I'm surely going to get it, but a bit later down the road as I've got games I need to play beforehand. So my post needs to read as Bioshock 1 & 2 but I really doubt the new game has noir aspects, like the first two.  

There's nothing noir about Bioshock 1 & 2. You seem to be mistaking the Art Deco art and architecture for noir, which is a cinematic/fiction style/genre. Infinite, ironically, actually has a lot of noir elements (Booker DeWitt is the archetypal noir protagonist before the game goes all quantum mechanics and superstrings.)

Edited by AGX-17

I love when people state "I have no time for long games" and then go and buy the next 10 hour game. Gee, you don't think three 10 hour games kind of add up to one 30 hour game?

You do not lose more time from a long game, you only save more money from not having to pay 3 x $60 for the same amount of gaming time.

I don't find it this simple.  It's difficult to step back in to a much longer game if you've been gone for a while (this has happened to me as well).  If I have 10 hours of gaming, all on one weekend a month, a 10 hour game that can be played through until completion may be more satisfying than trying to put yourself back into the game mid stride.

The games aren't really noir. More so a mix of 30s-50s art/architecture/caricatures.

B:I Takes place in 1912.

Which is one of the more glaring anachronisms in the plot, which will hopefully be addressed/resolved by DLC.

Yeah, I haven't paid any attention to B:I since I'm surely going to get it, but a bit later down the road as I've got games I need to play beforehand. So my post needs to read as Bioshock 1 & 2 but I really doubt the new game has noir aspects, like the first two.  

There's nothing noir about Bioshock 1 & 2. You seem to be mistaking the Art Deco art and architecture for noir, which is a cinematic/fiction style/genre. Infinite, ironically, actually has a lot of noir elements (Booker DeWitt is the archetypal noir protagonist before the game goes all quantum mechanics and superstrings.)

That's exaclty what I said. You've confused my post.

I haven't played B:I, so I might very well be wrong about any noir elements there, but I'm going to assume that they're extremely light.

Tried Bioshock: Infinite, it seemed like an interesting game right up until the first gunfight, went downhill fast from there, didn't really feel like playing a lot further. I know it was my own fault, getting into a shooter expecting something else, but I so wanted it to be more because everyone else seemed to be so hyped about it. I guess I wanted it to be another Dishonored, got the same vibes at the start, but it just wasn't anything even close to that.

Nearing the end (I think) of Saints Row the Third.  I now have 100% control of 3 districts and I can call in a VTOL anytime I want (the VTOL is definitely tons of fun).  I have a fully powered up laser rifle, SMGs, and rocket launcher, and yet I still always go back to twin .45 pistols.  I can **** so much **** up with twin pistols, and it just seems more stylish and badass to blow up helicopters and armored vehicles with pistols than with a rocket launcher or laser rifle.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

the problem with bioshock infinite is that since bioshock came out we've had deus ex HR and dishonored, which has proven that games like system shock 2 and deus ex can still be made profitably in todays post CoD world.

bioshock infinite feels like a major step backwards in game design. 

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

the problem with bioshock infinite is that since bioshock came out we've had deus ex HR and dishonored, which has proven that games like system shock 2 and deus ex can still be made profitably in todays post CoD world.

bioshock infinite feels like a major step backwards in game design. 

Depends on your point of view. I enjoyed the first 2 Bioshock games over Deus Ex HR. They played much better as shooters and HR felt like it had too many things tacked on just because it had to. I have yet to play Dishonored, but plan to later on.

XCOM:EU . Bought the slingshot dlc very cheap and now i wonder how much difference in the long run it will make. Having a Lt. Heavy so soon proved to be a good thing so far.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

i have very high hopes for dragons dogma 2, if they can take what worked and minimize what didn't, it could be amazing (i loved dragons dogma, but it has a ton of room for improvement)

• Like 1

Help, I can't stop mining in Planet Explorers. Now I know how Dig-Dug must have felt. :ninja:

After playing a fair bit with the 1st chr. to see the quests - everything from fetch/kill-this to 'fortify/protect this area" - and see the various enemies (they get hard fast) I started over so I could dig a "cave house" in that spot better/more elaborately. Screw building forts with stone blocks or using fast travel/running overland. It's much more fun to tunnel under the earth instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some Endless Space, a nice little 4X game.. Only problem is that pirates in this game are massively overpowered.. I'm a civilization that spans 2 galaxy arms, yet they somehow managed to produce 8 fleet about 3 times bigger and stronger than my 2 huge fleets.. In a galaxy of 7 great powers, they are now more powerful than all the civs combined I think and invading me.. Well, it's a challenge all right..

Fortune favors the bald.

Some Endless Space, a nice little 4X game.. Only problem is that pirates in this game are massively overpowered.. I'm a civilization that spans 2 galaxy arms, yet they somehow managed to produce 8 fleet about 3 times bigger and stronger than my 2 huge fleets.. In a galaxy of 7 great powers, they are now more powerful than all the civs combined I think and invading me.. Well, it's a challenge all right..

You must have left a few uninhabited systems near your empire? Uninhabited star systems have a chance to spawn pirate fleets of a strength reative to the adjacent empire's. Colonize everything near you and you'll be fine ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I know - and it was a combination of extremely bad luck on top of that, as 4 came from a system and 4 spawned on my capital through an event.. On top of that the game choose to give them the only weapon I wasn't guarding against and gave them a buckload of armor in the 2 categories I was building ships with.. Needless to say I lost pretty bad heh :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Finished Infinite, saw the twist coming from almost the beginning, but still a solid game. Definitely wouldn't say that it was anyway near 10/10, more 7-8 or so.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Finished Infinite, saw the twist coming from almost the beginning, but still a solid game. Definitely wouldn't say that it was anyway near 10/10, more 7-8 or so.

Oh Nonek, 7/10 is a 10/10 game nowadays.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Replaying B:I, noticing a lot of stuff that gains a great deal of significance once you know the story. Obviously you know who the people in the boat are, and the fact that they're debating a "thought experiment" takes on new significance. So does the line about "the universe doesn't seem to like its peas mixed with its porridge."

I'm willing to wager the Booker you're playing and Comstock are from two different parallel worlds.

Have to check Comstock's hand. The game has a bigger sense of urgency with that goal in mind.

Also have been farming large and green titanite shards from slime enemies in the Depths in Dark Souls, just because. I need to upgraaaade.

Edited by AGX-17

Forgot I got Just Cause 2 for $4 a while back, so spent the weekend mucking around there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Forgot I got Just Cause 2 for $4 a while back, so spent the weekend mucking around there.

I would call it just good old fashioned "stupid fun," but supporting violent criminal cartels and rebel groups in an attempt to bring about a coup in a foreign country was the real CIA's MO for the duration of the Cold War, so it's surprisingly realistic on that level. Even if players don't notice because they're busy dragging civilians to 50,000 feet attached to a fighter jet before cutting the cable and watching them plummet while cackling maniacally.

Help, I can't stop mining in Planet Explorers. Now I know how Dig-Dug must have felt. :ninja:

After playing a fair bit with the 1st chr. to see the quests - everything from fetch/kill-this to 'fortify/protect this area" - and see the various enemies (they get hard fast) I started over so I could dig a "cave house" in that spot better/more elaborately. Screw building forts with stone blocks or using fast travel/running overland. It's much more fun to tunnel under the earth instead.

Haven't played it, but Dig-Dug is about popping all the enemies with a bicycle pump within the time limit, not the digging itself. Edited by AGX-17

I would call it just good old fashioned "stupid fun," but supporting violent criminal cartels and rebel groups in an attempt to bring about a coup in a foreign country was the real CIA's MO for the duration of the Cold War, so it's surprisingly realistic on that level. Even if players don't notice because they're busy dragging civilians to 50,000 feet attached to a fighter jet before cutting the cable and watching them plummet while cackling maniacally.

Also the name is the same as the operation to invade Panama. I doubt there's much of a statement in any of it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra