Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

Wish I thought to look it up before playing. And that more game devs would put their mechanics in a plainly obvious text file (config.txt in this case). Most of it is self evident, but there's some useful comments from a helpful poster on the official forums.

[gametime]

dawnStartHours = 8 (time of day that the sun comes up, DAWN)

dayStartHours = 10 (time of day that is considered day)

duskStartHours = 18 (time of day that sun goes down, DUSK)

nightStartHours = 20 (time of day that is night)

minutesPerTurnOutdoor = 5 (should be obvious, NOTE!!! setting this LOWER decreases how often over world shrines reset, if anything I would set this higher)

minutesPerTurnCity = 1 (same as above)

minutesPerTurnDungeon = 2 (same as above) (NOTE2 = you CAN set all of these to 0 for no time change, but I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT)

minutesPerRest = 480 (how many minutes pass when you rest, can be any value, though I don't recommend going higher then 10080 which is ONE WEEK)

I'd set dawn to 5am, day at 7am, dusk at 7pm, night at 9pm. Basically just moving the transition periods so that they eat into the night rather than the day. (Then moved everything back one hour, because, erm, because Ashan hasn't invented Daylight Saving maybe) Anyway, 16 hours usable per day is so much more convenient than the 12/12 split. It was even worse because the dawn and dusk periods have annoying lighting anyway, so they were only semi-usable (and sometimes laggy), reducing fully usable daylight hours to 8 hours a day, which is ridiculous. I might chop them down to 1 hour each actually.

Not sure on the rate of time passage, maybe 2 minutes/step outdoors, and 1 minute/step in cities and dungeons.

[gameplay]

maxLevel = 50 (SETTING THIS HIGHER WILL NOT LET YOU LEVEL UP BEYOND 50 UNLESS YOU ALSO EDIT THE LEVEL CVL FILE TO INPUT NEW XP/LEVELS)

inventorySize = 50 (How many slots you have in your inventory, havent adjust this personally, so no idea what it actually does)

rewardXpMultiplier = 1.05 (how much BONUS XP the party member who gets the KILLING BLOW gets - NOT HOW MUCH XP ALL ENEMIES GIVE)

actionLogMaxEntries = 50 (how long your log is)

startSupplies = 6 (how many supplies you start with)

exploreRange = 3 (how many spaces are cleared on the map around your party)

brokenItemMalusNormal = 0.9 (Adventure mode, when a weapon/armor breaks it will be 90% effective IE 0.9. Setting this to 1 is no change in effectiveness, higher then 1 makes them MORE effective)

brokenItemMalusHard = 0.25 (same as above, but hard more. So in hard mode, when your gear breaks, its only 25% effective)

itemPriceBrokenOrUnidentified = 5 (Broken or unidentified items are worth a set amount.. 5 gold)

resistancePerBlessing = 5 (no idea)

itemResellMultiplicator = 0.25 (items are sold for 25% of what they can be bought for, setting to 1 makes items sell/but at same price)

scrollNoviceMagicFactor = 1.0 (multiplier used on novice scrolls)

scrollExpertMagicFactor = 2.0 (same as above)

scrollMasterMagicFactor = 3.0 (same as above)

scrollGrandmasterMagicFactor = 4.0 (same as above)

rangedAttackMeleeMalus = 0.5 (how much damage a bow does in melee range, in this case 50%.. I HIGHLY RECOMEND SETTING THIS TO 1 to remove the ranged damage reduction in melee, since as we all know, bow users are screwed in this game already.. so why double screw em?)

The only obvious things here that I'd want to change are:

rewardXpMultiplier = 1

brokenItemMalus[Normal/Hard] = 1

rangedAttackMeleeMalus = 1

So yeah, disable all those dumb mechanics. I'd totally double inventory size, but someone reported it might break stuff.

The other headings there are sometimes interesting, but not in terms of making obvious changes. Stun duration maybe, 5 turns is a little silly since it's more than the duration of most fights.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Great ideas for improvement! :)

As for stunned in 5 turns, though, isn't that the max value?

My defender dwarf, with sky-high vitality and the one that has quaffed each and every barrel throughout the game, seems never to be stunned longer than 2-3 turns.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Well yeah, I assume it randomly rolls every round to determine whether you break out of it early. But I don't like the mechanic, especially combined with the loss of XP for being stunned if an enemy dies. I mean, I found myself just healing and defending every turn until that character woke up just to make sure I got the XP....

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I got my Shield Guard promotion.  Cyclopses (Cyclopi?) are laughably easy at level 24.  I pretty much crushed them beneath my boot.  Is it just me, or is the boss Cyclops actually easier than the regular ones?  He barely put a scratch on me.

I agree. I first took out the dangerous cave Cyclops with a level 15 party, and it was pretty hard (for my party, at least). Then one or two levels later I met two in a certain warfare challenge, and they seemed much harder.

I meant the named (I forget his name, starts with a "D") cyclops for the shield guard promotion in the cave near the broken down caravan in the mountain range.  I found him to be easier to kill than the regular cyclopses (cyclopi) simply called "Cyclops".

I'm certainly not changing any values on my first playthrough, with the exception of things that are obviously broken (spear not getting crit bonus from two-handed master).  I want my first playthrough to be "vanilla".

Not even my mages tend to stay stunned 5 turns, they usually break out of it within 2 or 3 turns.  My Shield Guard is virtually unstunnable.  When he gets stunned he breaks out of it immediately 95% of the time so that by the time my turn rolls around he's already back to normal.

Edit:  Oh yeah, and I found the spear relic.  It's in a dangerous cave on the Menthil Coast with a shaman dude inside it (his name starts with "M")

In a future playthrough I'll definitely have to play a much more unorthodox and "suboptimal" party, because Warrior difficulty has gotten too easy.  I mean, it's not exactly a cakewalk, but it's not that challenging either.  I think I assembled my party too well (/pats self on back) and I wasn't particularly trying to min-max.  If with an unorthodox/unbalanced party I still get to a point where it's not that challenging, then I'll think about messing around with the config files to create a "Nightmare Difficulty".

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finally had time to start this. Level 7 on warrior after beating mamushi in the lighthouse, my might-pumped crusader amd bladedancer kept missing him so i had to rely on direct spells from shaman and freemage with all my man pots down the drain.

Lots of fun, just wish there were a bit more abilities and spells to play with.

• Like 1

I'm considering a new run even though I haven't finished the game

Trying to decide what I want my new party to be, probably more magic heavy this time around

This is more or less what I've been doing. The results are quite different if you go magic-heavy. I can't say I prefer one over the other, they are just two nice experiences set apart. I'd say the magic-users fair better, at least in Act 1. However, around end Act 2 and early Act 3, a party of mostly fighters are dicing their way through the peninsula and beyond.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

My first party

defender - fairly useless early on but solid later

ranger - bow is fairly weak throughout but her daggers were great

freemage - carried my team in the beginning but not as much when enemies started resisting a lot more

barbarian - started out almost as bad as my defender but now at 28 he does the most consistent damage

Free games updated 3/4/21

ShadySands: Just swap the barbarian for a bladesinger, and you have my first party, as it were. I reckon they were slow-starters, but as soon as you get some masteries in place, nad use the defender the way Humanoid taught me, you can make a beast of that party. See earlier posts here about party action order, all credit to Humanoid's posts. :)

• Like 1

Finally had time to start this. Level 7 on warrior after beating mamushi in the lighthouse, my might-pumped crusader amd bladedancer kept missing him so i had to rely on direct spells from shaman and freemage with all my man pots down the drain.

Lots of fun, just wish there were a bit more abilities and spells to play with.

Mamushi is very difficult to melee because he blocks a lot and retaliates on all melee strikes (blocked or otherwise).  He's one boss that's significantly easier with a magic-heavy party.

At this point in the game my melee characters (Marauder and Shield Dwarf) are by far my main damage dealers, but a lot of that is enhanced by my spellcasters.  My casters are mostly there to heal, buff, and protect my party, and to debuff and purge the enemies, though the cumulative damage from poisoning the enemies with Poison Cloud is significant.

Edit:  I was thinking of an all-hybrid party also, but I still think that will become relatively easy once I get past act 1.  Maybe I'll go all might?  I dunno, I got a some time left to think about it as I won't do that until I finish this playthrough.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

An all might party would probably too tedious due to the lack of crowd control skills until later in the game. Although, things will be much easier once you get the blade master promotion, especially if you have more than one blade dancer.

All hybrid would probably be good with two crusaders since GM light magic becomes very useful later in the game.

All magic party would probably be the easiest since both the shaman and the rune priest can both tank pretty well and even the Druid can be pretty tough. Just rest after every fight and keep the mana full.

Hunters and Scouts, as long as you're not tricked into putting points into their ranged weapon skills instead of their GMable melee weapon skills, are interchangable with pure melee classes for 90% of the game. They are, after all, essentially Blade Dancers but for the dual-wielding skill being capped at Master instead of Grandmaster. The promoted Blade Master will run away towards the end with some insane kill streaks however, what with the free-action killing blows.

The game is currently balanced that these three classes are probably the top three damage-dealing classes possible, so if you're looking for a challenge by using the hybrids, you'll probably not find it here. Indeed I'd say challenge mode is playing with no dual-wielding classes at all (and Keyrock is already doing that apparently, so I'm not sure where he'd go for more challenge :p ).

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I can't compare to Bladedancer, or any dual wielding class (having not played any), for that matter, but Hunter is flat out awesome.  Probably can't dish out the sheer volume of damage a Bladedancer can, especially taking into account the Bladedancer, once promoted, damaging multiple targets at once, but the Hunter can still do beefy amounts of damage and is arguably an even better character defensively than offensively.  The only thing they really lack defensively is heavy armor.  Spear sort of makes up for lack of shield in the blocking department, they're physically tough, and they can evade and resist spells with the best of them.  My Marauder is becoming nearly untouchable by enemies.  They just flat out can't hit her, not with physical attacks and not with spells (not for very much, anyway).

I just did the Crystal Spider fight,  That was fun, probably my favorite boss fight so far.  With the fire shard in hand I'm off to cure Crag Hack (Edit: or not :facepalm: ) and then to the forge for the second to last blessing (still need the dark shard).

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Another advantage the blade dancer has is that there are two one handed sword relics and even though there is one relic dagger, the quest (the bestiary one) that's supposed to give it is bugged.

However, you can fix it by going into the Might and Magic X Legacy_Data\StreamingAssets\StaticData folder, open the QuestSteps.csv file, and find the line MELEE_WEAPON.82,1,1,1 and change the period after 82 to a comma.

Edited by Giantevilhead

From a powergaming perspective however, screw the relics, get randomly generated 'relentless' weapons. The only real downside versus relics is the chance for them to break, but even at 90%/75% effectiveness, they'd still outperform any relic.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've found and entered the Tomb of Extra Spooky Name.  This marks the beginning of Act 4.  This isn't the final dungeon in the game, I hope?  Because I still have unfinished business on the surface.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Finished the Tomb of Extra Spooky Name, it was surprisingly easy.  My characters are just too powerful now.  I'd just cast a dark ward and straight melee them.  It was so easy I stopped bothering to cast poison cloud or acid splash or celestial armor or using shatter, and only had to use Regeneration once in a long time.  Other than having to cure feeblemind once in a while, there was nothing to it, I just steamrolled everybody in there, boss included.  Once in a while they'd actually manage to do some damage to me, but for the most part I was blocking, evading, and resisting whatever they threw at me and just laughing at them.  Ambushed by a dozen creeps all around me?  Pfft, whatever, bring it, panzies.

:grin:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

No date yet, but the upcoming patch will apparently include three new dungeons.

https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/information-about-upcoming-patch

Yay! :w00t:

And I'm getting deeper and deeper into the game. Apparently I've done things in a pretty weird order. I'm passed level 25, and I haven't even done some of the elemental forge quests (I had missed two elemental chambers - light and air, they were easy to find, but it was a darn dark level, that one.

However, a certain crystal spider I did rather early, and then it was a tough fight. However, one spell sometimes seems to rule them all: Purge!

When the spider casts the latter crystal cage, the one with a ticking bomb effect. Just throw purge on the bombs, and they get disarmed. Purge works against most bosses, too. I am deliberately postponing the free they lord of the mansion quest, as now I'm just going crazy with Shalassa and Ylath-content. :)

No date yet, but the upcoming patch will apparently include three new dungeons.

https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/information-about-upcoming-patch

I wants it, I wants it.  Hopefully at least one of the new dungeons is a super duper extra brutally difficult dungeon, as my characters are essentially demigods now at level 29.  Of course, most likely I'll be done with my current playthrough when this comes out, so I may not get to this new content until my next party.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸