Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

Yeah, I pulled the trigger myself also.  The Uplay thing is a bummer, but pirates/hackers will take care of it for me.  They'll be a cracked exe out in the wild within days, if there isn't one already.  At least you can play it in offline mode for the time being.  The game itself is pretty cool.  Here are some of my thoughs:

I always find it amusing when people are willing to crack their games and in exchange waive all the patches that come through the Uplay client. Guess some people prefer to be stuck with a buggy Alpha version.

You know, the "shady" guys are offering most of the time post release support as well ;)

Some of them even at better quality, than the publishers :rolleyes:

Why do you advocate piracy?

https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/521b9074e754b64a72000000

Dear MMX Early Access Players,

Thank you so much for your interest in MMX and for buying the Early Access Offer. During the last week, our first week of Early Access, we have received a lot of comments and feedback! First of all, let me give you a huge „THANK YOU“ on behalf of the whole MMX team!  We’ve all been so excited and we appreciate it very much that you guys are supporting us! You might have noticed an “R” infront of your forums thread – which means this thread was read and has been in review. 

Now of course we’ve studied all your feedback very intensely and today we’d like to share with you our first results of all MMX Early Access Player Feedback that has reached us. All in all we’ve received more than 100 different suggestions, bug reports and gameplay feedback. While fixing bugs is a matter of course, I’d like to concentrate in this blog post on feedback that you guys might see as “general review feedback” although the one or the other might also include a bug fix. For other urgent bug fixes, please read the bottom.

The top mentioned topics are:

1. Time passing, day/night too fast
2. Map locations + notes wanted
3. Weapon durability needs improvement
4. Shops – Restocking wanted
5. Spells & Mana reg needs balancing
6. Ranger / bow mastery expert useless
7. Attack items disappear – needs to be fixed
8. Player Movement not smooth enough
9. Saving / loading issues
10. Food – Sixpack is too small
11. Enemy Movement – not fast enough
12. No respawn – respawn wanted
13. Ranged attacks – targeting fails
14. Shop handling needs improvement & comparing of items wanted

FIRST FEEDBACK TO SOME OF THE OFTEN MENTIONED TOPICS

TIME PASSING, DAY/NIGHT TOO FAST

We read that most of you find the passing of time too fast. We understood quickly and discussed the following change as a new iteration / test to see how it feels like (below numbers in minutes per tile): 

AS IT IS NOW: 15/5/5 (Outdoor, Sorpigal, Dungeon)

NEXT ITERATION: 5/1/2 (Outdoor, Sorpigal, Dungeon)

As a result your party will not become “weak” as fast as in the current  version.  The next iteration will be included within the next patch. 

sorpigal dawn sorpigal dusk sorpigal night 

MAP LOCATIONS + NOTES WANTED

We read that you guys want to see locations on your map and at best notes to them (or being able to do notes yourselves). And of course we do plan to add locations to the maps, we just have not yet have time to implement it. But we still will, of course. However right now I cannot promise that a new iteration of the map will already be included in the very next patch, as some other features (and especially bugs) have received priority. But sooner or later it will be in. As soon as I know more about the timing, I’ll let you know of course. 

(We also still plan to share our map plans on the blog in a separate posting soon).

WEAPON  / ARMOR DURABILITY NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

A bug has crept into the Early Access version. Equipment breaks too often. Unfortunately the break chance is applied on every combat action which is not intended.

The intended design is:

•    A weapon break chance if your attack gets blocked by an enemy.
•    A shield break chance if you block a critical attack from an enemy.
•    An armor break chance if you get critical hit. 

This should be fixed with the upcoming patch. We’d like to see if this fixes the whole issue, or if we still need to change the chance (currently 10%) of equipment/weapon breaking.  Let´s see how it turns out.

SHOPS – RESTOCKING WANTED

Yes you were correct to complain about shops not restocking. I am happy to tell you, that shops will restock with the next patch! This includes the availability of health and mana potions. 

SPELLS & MANA REGENERATION NEEDS BALANCING

We also saw that a lot of you discussed the balancing of spells and mana costs or mana regeneration. We will need to have a closer look into that. For the upcoming patch we will not make any changes. Please note that due to the item restocking in shops you should be able to stock up on health and mana potions again.

RANGER / BOW MASTERY EXPERT  NEEDS IMPROVEMENTS

We also saw that there were several discussions involving the Ranger in general, the damage caused by bows and / or the ranged attack in general (especially not being able to target). We will take a closer look into all feedback during the next days. 

ATTACK ITEMS DISAPPEAR – NEEDS TO BE FIXED

In the past when you’ve moved your attack icon in the bottom bar just a little bit, it might have gone lost and you have had to drag it back out of your spell book. With the next patch we will change this in a way, that attack icons at the bottom can only be overwritten by other attack items from the spell book (you will need to drag drop them over the existing icons, to remove existing action icons).

DISPLAY OF ENEMY STATISTICS

Some of you have complained about not knowing what kind of enemies are out there. We’d like to give you a few hints about that:

When you fight an enemy you are currently seeing their health bars (might still be optional in the future). Depending on the length of the health bar, you can see how much life this enemy has, which also indicates the difficulty. Besides, during a fight you can also see icons below their bars, showing different abilities or buffs. Hovering those with your mouse will give you details.

Besides there is a “Bestiary” which you can find in the journal. After defeating a certain type of enemy for the first time, an entry about that enemy will be added to your journal. With each time you defeat that type of enemy more statistics about that type of enemy will be revealed in your journal. So the more often you meet them, the more you learn about them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides, the following mentioned feedback will be addressed with the next patch already:

UNCONSCIOUS SHOULD WORK DIFFERENTLY

Right now the unconscious state is not removed after resting. It was correct of you guys to complain about it. With the next patch unconscious will be removed after resting!

HEALING WITHIN TEMPLE

Some of you complained that your health went down again after leaving the temple. We will change this for the next patch.

DIFFERENT CURSOR WANTED

We are aware that some of you guys would like to see a different cursor and at best also different states of the cursor; depending on what you want to do (i.e. grabbing). As already mentioned on the forums some time ago, we do plan to implement a different cursor and also different states of the cursor. With the next patch, we will however only have a different look of the cursor (not yet the states, those will still follow).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides we will deliver several bug fixes within the next patch, too. Right now the team has already fixed more than 70 bugs (please see an excerpt below).

More may still follow: A detailed patch log will still be posted on the Early Access forums as the time comes.

Please note that your save files might not work after the patch as one of the issues encountered during the Early Access phase regards loading and saving. So we might change something within that process, which might get in conflict with earlier save files.

Thank you for your understanding.

OTHER FEEDBACK

Of course we have also read other feedback about player and enemy movement, respawn, shop and inventory handling, gold and identifying items etc. pp. We are going to discuss all of it and won’t ignore it during the following patches.

Big issues like the black screen some of you have when installing (because of oldish Windows Media Player or certain Codecs or other reasons) and freeze bugs during battle (please press CTR+ALT+R) as well as other blocking issues have highest priority for us anyway. 

We hope that you’ll like this first result of your feedback and our team meeting today. Please do not hesitate to share additional feedback with us. If you see an „R“ in front of it, you now know, what it means. ;)

Thank you!

Sweet, sounds like many of the glaring bugs are being addressed in the next release.  :biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's pretty cool to see how they are progressing on this and keeping the community involved.  I was a bit surprised that early access was really early alpha testing, so I've backed off playing, but I can see myself getting back into it after a few patches.

It's pretty cool to see how they are progressing on this and keeping the community involved.  I was a bit surprised that early access was really early alpha testing, so I've backed off playing, but I can see myself getting back into it after a few patches.

Hurlshot do you not think this game is a little violent...it seems its just about killing things? :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've backed off playing mainly because SR4 is taking up all my playing time, I pretty much expected alpha testing.  I'll jump back in when this patch goes live as the weapon/armor breaking was my biggest frustration and causing me to reload saves constantly, and I don't particularly like to meta-game like that.  No fix for the goblin chef  :( but I understand there are much more pressing issues to solve first.  I'm pleasantly surprised at just how many of the issues the first patch will address.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hurlshot do you not think this game is a little violent...it seems its just about killing things? :unsure:

Sounds like a Might and Magic game.

Yeah I suppose you are right, good call :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not really sure what you mean.  It isn't overly gory or anything.  I'm not really against violence in games, I just want it to have a decent motivation behind it and some strategy involved as well.  

Heck, I love the Saint's Row series, those are quite a bit more violent.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure what you mean.  It isn't overly gory or anything.  I'm not really against violence in games, I just want it to have a decent motivation behind it and some strategy involved as well.  

Heck, I love the Saint's Row series, those are quite a bit more violent.

Good points, please ignore my previous comment :yes:

John Milton 

Yeah, I pulled the trigger myself also. The Uplay thing is a bummer, but pirates/hackers will take care of it for me. They'll be a cracked exe out in the wild within days, if there isn't one already. At least you can play it in offline mode for the time being. The game itself is pretty cool. Here are some of my thoughs:

I always find it amusing when people are willing to crack their games and in exchange waive all the patches that come through the Uplay client. Guess some people prefer to be stuck with a buggy Alpha version.

You know, the "shady" guys are offering most of the time post release support as well ;)

Some of them even at better quality, than the publishers :rolleyes:

Why do you advocate piracy?

You do not know that making backup copy and circumventing DRM of your legally purchased copy of your software is completely legal in the whole European Union? It's in legal terms the same to download patch from Steam as to download the DRM circumvented patch from other "shady" site, if you are legal owner of the software. It has absolutely nothing to do with piracy. It's called fair use...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's called "Know your customer rights" ;-)

And you know, your thing of buying CDkeys from "shady" sites has more in common with copyright infringement than downloading DRM cleaned patch using P2P software;-)

Edited by Mamoulian War

Yeah, and the only person who gets money from a dodgy D1P of a grey market key bought with a stolen CC number is... the criminal with the credit card.

Moral superiority, unwarranted. Personally I'd go the whole "Stop criminal scum!" route and charge everyone using stolen keys for receiving stolen non authorised duplicated goods. Ban their steam accounts, shut them off from the internet, criminal charges, jail time and then well deserved execution.

It's called "Know your customer rights" ;-)

And you know, your thing of buying CDkeys from "shady" sites has more in common with copyright infringement than downloading DRM cleaned patch using P2P software;-)

God you're so full of **** it's not even funny anymore. Nobody gets any money from a PB download.
The publisher/developer get's his money when you legally buy their game first. How do you apply your patches to your legally bought software is up to you and up to the customers rights granted to you by the law of the country where are you living. You should learn more about the universals laws of european union or you get shafted a lot in the future ;-)

PS. Nobody gets a money from buying CD key from some russian site, too. And it's again the EULA of Steam, you have agreed upon, when creating Steam account.

The legality of said EULA in many EU countries is questionable, but no one yet challenged it at court yet. And until it is challenged, it is a valid document. And doing anything outside of the coverage of this document is indeed copyright infringement or breaching the license agreement.

Have a nice day ;-)

Edited by Mamoulian War

• 3 months later...

Ubisoft interacting with fans? 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Not Ubisoft, Limbic Entertainment.  Just as surprisingly, Ubisoft allowed them too.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I have been a long time fan of Might & Magic, my first RPG being in that series on the Commodore 64. The game mentions and open world and whatnot along with a floating camera shot of a area or two. No doubt a clamor for some Skyrim fans winding down on that IP. Now here's my honest assessment...

First, ignore the cut-scenes and scripting camera shots and look very short segments of the party moving around. It appears to have tile based movement restricted to right angles. Don't know what I mean? Think Legends of Grimlock, on a much larger budget. The original M&M was this way, but it was technological limitation on 8 & 16 bit computers; not an apparent design choice. I didn't even see 45 degree movement, much less free-form locomotion across the game world that you expect from a first-person perspective on modern hardware.

Now, look at the couple of fight segments. Monsters are animating in place, not actually moving around. There will be no circling dragons that fight in the air, on the ground and then back in the air. Instead, monsters will act more like cardboard bad guys popping up during a police academy forced entry training session. If I wanted to play 8-bit tech, I've got emulators and the original games to play on them. They might as well be 2 dimensional billboards...

Otherwise put, you will not see combat that resembles this in any way:

http://youtu.be/12jhCHPYu8Q

(Note: I'm not familiar with that game, but it at least has free-form movement for both player and monster.)

I don't know who the girl is in the pseudo-Diablo 3 opening cinematic, or what she was on about but... I know what she didn't say. There was no mention of the ancient alien machines, Sheltem, Melkor, Corack or any of the other notable personalities from Cron or Xeen. In other words, whatever this is, it's clearly vacant of M&M lore.

The bottom line is that, without Jon Van Caneghem, it is not Might & Magic. New World Computing was acquired by 3DO around 1996 and that division laid off in 2002. The IP has since been sold off several times and ruined further with each new owner's molestation of the IP. At this point Might & Magic is nothing more than a recognizable trademark that its owning-publisher-of-the-day can use to sell yet another game that has absolutely nothing to do with the series of games that many of us grew up on and loved. Might & Magic died on April 15th, 2002 and I really wish to hell these publishers would let the name die instead of continuing to rub their dirty crotches on it.

:banghead:

Yes, I'm grumpy about it. Wouldn't you be if the likes if an ultra-low budget RPG was picked up by a publisher and called "Baldur's Gate 3" or if some low budget RTS game was called "Planescape Torment: Battleclones" - effing seriously... no. Being handled by another developer isn't the problem, its when the lore and form of the original is tossed out and they're just using the name to garner sales.

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I've played the game and it rocks, so what ev.

Knocking the old school movement for being old school kind of misses the point of the game.  Also I think you'd be surprised by the budget, while it surpasses Legend of Grimrock, it is a small budget game.

I've played the game and it rocks, so what ev.

Knocking the old school movement for being old school kind of misses the point of the game.  Also I think you'd be surprised by the budget, while it surpasses Legend of Grimrock, it is a small budget game.

Fine, then its a decent game if you say so... But it's not Might & Magic... it's whatever they decided to try to sell more boxes by slapping that name on it. Given UBI's reputation... They'd put "The Witcher" on that box, if they owned the name and thought it would sell more copies.

My issue is far less the game, than calling it M&M. Old school is fine, but M&M was usually on the cutting edge of the day. So, in the spirit of M&M, going old-school is far from it.

BTW: World of Xeen never needed uPlay.

Edited by Luridis

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Some people just don't like to be happy.   :no:

This is a terribly niche game, with or without the M&M name.  It will not sell millions, so it's shocking that Ubisoft is publishing it at all.  Also, what exactly is the value of the M&M name?  It is used for all sorts of crazy things, including a match 3 puzzle game.  The fact that we are returning to the game play of World of Xeen is exciting.    

• Like 2

Some people just don't like to be happy.   :no:

This is a terribly niche game, with or without the M&M name.  It will not sell millions, so it's shocking that Ubisoft is publishing it at all.  Also, what exactly is the value of the M&M name?  It is used for all sorts of crazy things, including a match 3 puzzle game.  The fact that we are returning to the game play of World of Xeen is exciting.    

I so no mention of the ancients... So, you could just as easily say, "The fact that we're returning to the game play of the SSI Goldbox series is exciting." After all, they did the square to square movement thing too.

Okay... Okay... Now I feel like I've gotten far too serious about this. Maybe all I should say is... Leave Might & Magic alone! Leave her alone!

http://youtu.be/aEpwBVXbKhs?t=30s