Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

While Ubisoft is about the only big publisher this was even possible from it's still a lot more old school looking than I would have thought possible. Dev is a bit of a question mark but I guess there really aren't that many (available) developers around with any actual experience in the genre any more, what with it being 'dead'.

I, still cannot believe Ubisoft publishing an old-school-like, turn based RPG... Is this some kind of fantasy O_o

Limbic sounds OK, though their first work is only repairing M&M6 (they are the ones built city screens for starters)

That's not their first work, they've been doing pc shovelware for nearly a decade.

HoMM VI was a product of incompetent, and now rightfully bankrupt, studio. Why they decided to build their story upon this crap?

Well, i bet they will once again pay IGN for high ratings, like they did with HOMM VI - IGN back then praised it as a new era of turn-based strategies and bezt gaem evur!!!111oneoneone.

MzpydUh.gif

Well this is exactly what I was hoping for, they are definitely going for a Legend of Grimrock old school style of game.  That doesn't guarantee success, but it does get my interest.

I'm maybe the only person on the planet that didn't like Legend of Grimrock.  With that said, I'm still excited for the direction this game is taking.  

I doubt you are the only one.  I'm actually a bit torn on the game itself, the setting itself lost my interest quickly.  I mean, you are in a dungeon, and you are solving puzzles.  That's it.  Pretty shallow, and eventually I got bored.  I've never been a huge fan of long dungeons.

But the style of gameplay was a huge kick for me.  I loved the party of four, the mix of abilities, the formations, the simple movement and combat.  If you take all that and put it in a full world with actual skies, NPC's, stores, etc.  I will be happy.

This is exactly how i feel about Grimrock!  :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Why they decided to build their story upon this crap?

Because HoMM VI was in the continuity of HoMM V and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?

I'm surprised that Ubisoft would ask such a small studio to handle their first foray in the RPG genre, you would think that they would go bigger!

Because HoMM VI was in the continuity of HoMM V and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?

I'm surprised that Ubisoft would ask such a small studio to handle their first foray in the RPG genre, you would think that they would go bigger!

Bigger in a turn based blobber? You must be crazy. This will be a low budget excperiment for them. They want to know if the "old school" market is big enough to support such games made in a low budget.(1-3M$)

Edited by Malekith

If the big publishers are actually going to publish old-skool games again, Fargo will have to find another quip for his Kickstarter hype videos.

Or he could get publishers to actually fund the old-school games he wants to make.

Little Kid CEO in limo - "Brian, we'd like you to make Starflight 3"

Brian Fargo - "Let me guess, you want it to be a linear first person shooter"

Little Kid CEO - "Nope, make it just like Starflight 1 & 2, but with updated graphics and UI, oh and make it for PC, Mac, and Linux only."

Brian Fargo - *jaw drops*

Or, alternatively, and MUCH more realistically, when Wasteland 2 releases, and if it is well received and a success, he can stop playing us vs. them and just pitch it as "we made this really cool game using Kickstarter, now we want to make another".

Or, he could just find something else to gripe about publishers.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Precisely why I find Kickstarter intriguing.  I feel there's a lot to be gained if they can knock the ball out of the park with their games.

Absolutely.  Just like the first high profile failure (and this will unfortunately happen) will leave a sour taste in people's mouths, the high profile successes can really give a small to mid size developer leverage.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The level of failure will be hard for those that contribute to said project, but when that failure occurs (and it will happen) is important.  If it comes after 42 successful projects, it's less of an issue that if it's the first or second big project.

• Like 1

*looks at the teaser trailer*

Hm. Well, turn based is good. The graphic look that I can see is sorta "meh" - and I don't mean because it's not "shiny" (I actually hope they won't go too crazy graphically). But it's a start.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If the big publishers are actually going to publish old-skool games again, Fargo will have to find another quip for his Kickstarter hype videos.

Or he could get publishers to actually fund the old-school games he wants to make.

Little Kid CEO in limo - "Brian, we'd like you to make Starflight 3"

Brian Fargo - "Let me guess, you want it to be a linear first person shooter"

Little Kid CEO - "Nope, make it just like Starflight 1 & 2, but with updated graphics and UI, oh and make it for PC, Mac, and Linux only."

Or, alternatively, and MUCH more realistically, when Wasteland 2 releases, and if it is well received and a success, he can stop playing us vs. them and just pitch it as "we made this really cool game using Kickstarter, now we want to make another".

Or, he could just find something else to gripe about publishers.

Precisely why I find Kickstarter intriguing.  I feel there's a lot to be gained if they can knock the ball out of the park with their games.

End of the day this is what I am hoping for. The result of KS is to convince some Publishers that there is a market of PC based CRPG. It would be great to have the enthusiasm and skills  of the likes of Brian Fargo making the game how he wants but the financial backing of Ubisoft :)

Oh Keyrock, you are funny :grin:

"Brian Fargo - "Let me guess, you want it to be a linear first person shooter"

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bcause HOMM 6 set 400 years BEFORE HOMM 5 and virtually a new setting. but my complains mostly not about new setting - they could expand it as they like, but about how bad it was implemented. Low quality of HOMM 6 will harm M&M X in the end.

Edited by Cultist

MzpydUh.gif

This will be a low budget excperiment for them. They want to know if the "old school" market is big enough to support such games made in a low budget.(1-3M$)

Yeah, that's how I'm seeing this venture too. They might be better off creating a new low-budget IP instead, tho. I'm concerned that there's not enough of an audience for an old-new MM-rpg, and then they'll be back to thinking that because one didn't work, that there's no audience at all.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I never actually played any of the M&M games, but I'd be willing to give this a shot - particularly if it gets good word of mouth.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I used to play M&M back in the day, and found them okay for passing the time but never really that enthralling. As soon as I played the group tactical combat screens in Ultima I realized that's the way to simulate combat, and the GoldBox games only reinforced that preference. I'm not sure I want to go back to the first person click-fests of M&M and Wizardry. Only if there isn't something better available.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A short Q&A with some interesting facts

Highlights:

- Release window is currently within CY 2013

- Single-player only

- There will be no arranging of party members; ensuring your meat shield takes blows for the casters will require activating related skills instead

I think it sounds really promising, or am I missing something?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela