What you did today

Gorth

Subsequently I have never been camping in my life

You need to remedy this, now. ;)

How much you rough it just depends on what you feel like trying/doing. There's the whole "car camping" thing, for example, which is hardly roughing it most of the time. Sure you may be in a tent (that's put up closeish to where your car is parked), but you've also likely brought along coolers full of food/drinks and lots of other things. Some people car camp and never leave the crowded campground area they're using (basically small camping "towns"), while others may pick isolated places to park/pitch their tent and just use it as a basecamp while hiking around in isolation during the days.

Backpacking into the wilderness is/can be a different beast, of course. And outside of emergency survival, you do need basic licenses to hunt/fish...in the US these can vary per state as well as possibly needing extra licensing for certain species etc.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Started a new campain of trying to convince Game of Thrones / ASOIAF fans that Hot Pie is Azor Ahai reborn.

OF COURSE! It all makes sense now! Hot Pie is the chosen one, the one to dive back the Others. You just see the series in a whole new light now!

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You know the funny thing about Game of Thrones, both books and show? Nobody has ever said they were just alright. They either love them or don't like them at all. Funny isn't it?

Hi GD :)

Welcome back, how was the camping trip?

I've never had a bad one but this one was great! Beautiful place and I had it almost all to myself. Unfortunately I had to cut it short for work but that's how it goes. I was thinking about going back weekend after next but I'm going to be real busy and may not make it. I'm meeting with my partners tomorrow to discuss a new bid and I've still got two full time projects now.

But getting to just pack up and go is the one upside of not having a family to look after. I'm divorced with no kids (other than a dog who is convinced he's smarter than me) so there really is no reason not to.

Thanks for the update, if you don't mind I would like to ask you some questions about your camping trips. The reason is I am fascinated by the concept of people just living in the wild or getting away by themselves for  a few days. My parents were divorced when I was 4 and even though I saw my dad every second weekend we never ever went camping as he is a businessman and we always did things in the city. Subsequently I have never been camping in my life, I have spent 1 night in chalets overnight but thats more of luxurious accommodation and not really "roughing" it. So thats the context to my questions, I am not being nosy :)

• What food do you take and can you hunt and fish if necessary
  • Where does your much loved dog sleep when you go camping,  I assume you have a tent
  • How close are other  people to you when you go camping? Do you miss seeing people or do you prefer being isolated
  • What is your routine on these trips? Do you wake up at 6 am and then go hiking or do you fish. Or are there other activities
  • Finally if you are by yourself what would happen in an emergency, like you break your leg?

Sorry to bombard you with all questions, anything you can answer would be great :)

A lot of your questions really depend on where you go. Most of the parks here in Tennessee are not big or wild enough to really worry about getting lost in or really being concerned about safety. My cell phone worked the whole weekend at Old Stone Fort. In some to the big national parks like Great Smoky Mountain, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Moab, etc. it makes sense to take extra precautions if you are going off the beaten path into the back country. Most require you to check in with the ranger station and let them know where you are going and how long you will be. Since cell coverage in big parks is sparse I carry a satellite emergency radio beacon called a PLB. It's like an EPIRB you would find on a ship only it's meant for land use. It's small, a little bigger than  a cell phone and if you get injured all you have to do is activate it and wait. As far as animals go in this state I'm bigger and meaner than anything I'm going to meet. Out west that would be a little different story so I'd probably not bring Tommy if I were going to Yellowstone or somewhere like that. I'd take other precautions too, carry a pistol and a can or two of mace. One interesting note, my carry weapon it a .45 derringer and I know it would not stop a charging grizzly but a can of mace will.

Some parks have designated camping areas, some don't. Some allow hunting and fishing, some don't. You pick your destination based on what you want to do on the trip. As far as hunting I'd rather not do that on public land. And I tend to avoid Wildlife Management areas during hunting season. Too many people out there who shoot first and look second. Hunting accidents are beyond rare in actuality and firearm hunting season is short. I prefer archery hunting, the season is longer and you find a different sort of hunter out there with you. I love fishing and 90% of my camping trips revolve around that so I usually pick places that have interesting fishing like the Duck River this past weekend.

As far as rouging it goes, most parks have improved campgrounds with bathrooms and showers and picnic areas available so I would not really call that roughing it. Old Stone Fort does allow primitive camping so I picked a spot on a bluff over the river and backpacked to it. They don't allow open fires in the dry season so I brought a portable single burner propane stove for cooking and as far as food I kept it simple, instant oatmeal, instant coffee, vacuum packed meals, etc. Plus six pounds of dog food in premeasured serving bags. I cooked three Speck I caught Sunday night with mushrooms and onions. Good stuff!

I have two tents actually. An 8x8 4 wall and a small 2 man backpack tent. I took the big one when I went to the park down by Pascagoula last November because they have designated campgrounds. For primitive camping I use the small one because the big one is not practical to carry. Tommy sleeps in it right next to me. After reading Hurlshots RV experiences last summer I've been thinking of getting a pop up trailer. Maybe sometime down the road.

You should give it a try. I much prefer primitive camping as far away from everyone and everything as I can get. I only saw two other people all weekend once I left the parking lot , and they were canoeing down the river. I live in a very rural area now but even out here there is still the odd street light. If you get far away from electricity the stars in the night sky are the most beautiful thing you will ever see. That alone makes it worth the trip 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

GD's probably forgotten more than I know about camping, but I do have four tips:

1. Bring a good knife

2. Bring strong twine

3. Bring dry rice and dry red lentils

4. Bring salt and spices

Your most basic problems will be getting things apart or holding them together (1 and 2).

Your next most basic problems are being fed, and enjoying feeding (3 and 4).

If you can get water on site, you're not going to suffer, given the above.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You know the funny thing about Game of Thrones, both books and show? Nobody has ever said they were just alright. They either love them or don't like them at all. Funny isn't it?

Hi GD :)

Welcome back, how was the camping trip?

I've never had a bad one but this one was great! Beautiful place and I had it almost all to myself. Unfortunately I had to cut it short for work but that's how it goes. I was thinking about going back weekend after next but I'm going to be real busy and may not make it. I'm meeting with my partners tomorrow to discuss a new bid and I've still got two full time projects now.

But getting to just pack up and go is the one upside of not having a family to look after. I'm divorced with no kids (other than a dog who is convinced he's smarter than me) so there really is no reason not to.

Thanks for the update, if you don't mind I would like to ask you some questions about your camping trips. The reason is I am fascinated by the concept of people just living in the wild or getting away by themselves for  a few days. My parents were divorced when I was 4 and even though I saw my dad every second weekend we never ever went camping as he is a businessman and we always did things in the city. Subsequently I have never been camping in my life, I have spent 1 night in chalets overnight but thats more of luxurious accommodation and not really "roughing" it. So thats the context to my questions, I am not being nosy :)

• What food do you take and can you hunt and fish if necessary
  • Where does your much loved dog sleep when you go camping,  I assume you have a tent
  • How close are other  people to you when you go camping? Do you miss seeing people or do you prefer being isolated
  • What is your routine on these trips? Do you wake up at 6 am and then go hiking or do you fish. Or are there other activities
  • Finally if you are by yourself what would happen in an emergency, like you break your leg?

Sorry to bombard you with all questions, anything you can answer would be great :)

A lot of your questions really depend on where you go. Most of the parks here in Tennessee are not big or wild enough to really worry about getting lost in or really being concerned about safety. My cell phone worked the whole weekend at Old Stone Fort. In some to the big national parks like Great Smoky Mountain, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Moab, etc. it makes sense to take extra precautions if you are going off the beaten path into the back country. Most require you to check in with the ranger station and let them know where you are going and how long you will be. Since cell coverage in big parks is sparse I carry a satellite emergency radio beacon called a PLB. It's like an EPIRB you would find on a ship only it's meant for land use. It's small, a little bigger than  a cell phone and if you get injured all you have to do is activate it and wait. As far as animals go in this state I'm bigger and meaner than anything I'm going to meet. Out west that would be a little different story so I'd probably not bring Tommy if I were going to Yellowstone or somewhere like that. I'd take other precautions too, carry a pistol and a can or two of mace. One interesting note, my carry weapon it a .45 derringer and I know it would not stop a charging grizzly but a can of mace will.

Some parks have designated camping areas, some don't. Some allow hunting and fishing, some don't. You pick your destination based on what you want to do on the trip. As far as hunting I'd rather not do that on public land. And I tend to avoid Wildlife Management areas during hunting season. Too many people out there who shoot first and look second. Hunting accidents are beyond rare in actuality and firearm hunting season is short. I prefer archery hunting, the season is longer and you find a different sort of hunter out there with you. I love fishing and 90% of my camping trips revolve around that so I usually pick places that have interesting fishing like the Duck River this past weekend.

As far as rouging it goes, most parks have improved campgrounds with bathrooms and showers and picnic areas available so I would not really call that roughing it. Old Stone Fort does allow primitive camping so I picked a spot on a bluff over the river and backpacked to it. They don't allow open fires in the dry season so I brought a portable single burner propane stove for cooking and as far as food I kept it simple, instant oatmeal, instant coffee, vacuum packed meals, etc. Plus six pounds of dog food in premeasured serving bags. I cooked three Speck I caught Sunday night with mushrooms and onions. Good stuff!

I have two tents actually. An 8x8 4 wall and a small 2 man backpack tent. I took the big one when I went to the park down by Pascagoula last November because they have designated campgrounds. For primitive camping I use the small one because the big one is not practical to carry. Tommy sleeps in it right next to me. After reading Hurlshots RV experiences last summer I've been thinking of getting a pop up trailer. Maybe sometime down the road.

You should give it a try. I much prefer primitive camping as far away from everyone and everything as I can get. I only saw two other people all weekend once I left the parking lot , and they were canoeing down the river. I live in a very rural area now but even out here there is still the odd street light. If you get far away from electricity the stars in the night sky are the most beautiful thing you will ever see. That alone makes it worth the trip 

Thanks for the detailed response. You have explained a lot, it sounds very appealing and a really good way to get away from the big cities. I can appreciate how the view of the stars would be vastly superior in the wilderness and well worth the trip :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've done a lot of camping and backpacking in California.  I started when I was about 12 with my dad and some of my best memories growing up were out in Yosemite or along the John Muir trails.  For me, car camping is pretty boring, I prefer to strap on my hiking boots and walk as far as I can before settling down to make camp.  That being said, now that I'm older it is much harder physically, and so I'm enjoying the RV lifestyle where you can get out and travel, but you still get a comfy bed to return to at night.  

One great thing about backpacking is once you've bought all the initial gear, there is really very little cost involved.  It can be pricey to get into, buying a tent, a decent backpack, and all the gear is not cheap.  But once you own it, which I still have most of my gear from 15 years ago, all you need to do is buy the food.  Heck, my exoskeleton backpack is probably as old as I am. 

It's a wonderful physical challenge to take 50 pounds of gear out into the wilderness, hiking over mountains, streams, and rocks.  I really recommend everyone try it at least once in their lifetime.     

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been using a great duckdown sleeping bag that is literally older then I am. My dad picked it up when he was in his 20's and the damn thing is still going strong. And from all accounts of the people I've gone camping with, it's still warmer then the modern bags they use.

Edit: And note for today, procrastination seems to be catching. Seems pretty much everybody in the family has been doing it, and I don't think I've managed to achieve anything today...

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

See, the only times I've slept outdoors was during my military service... It ruined three things for me, one of which was camping. (The other two were pea soup and tea, but I've gotten over those so I might have to try camping one day, too)

Also, was back with the somewhat absurd pandering case. The cop doing the interviewing is doing everything he can to make me break my lawyerly frown with the evidence. My jaw hurts and I was biting my lip so hard I almost drew blood, but I persevered andno inopportune laughter took place..,

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

LOL@ Nepenthe. My training made camping much less worrying. I realised that half my problem was all the crap I was schlepping out with me. A shelter half and a good sleeping bag* will do for any reasonable casual situation. You don't need a tent at all!

Bruce, you're saying you live in Jo'burg and you've never been out in the bush? Find yourself a good tough girlie and go up the Drakensberg mountains. Baboons notwithstanding it's the best location I've ever been. Hands down.

*Plus items one and two from my previous post.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Backpacking is great. I tend to like being isolated too, at higher elevations, but I've only backpacked a few times. Hubby's always been a car camper...but we did it as isolated as possible (he hates the "campgrounds"). Just drive these random dirt roads until you hit some spot you like where no one's around and go from there. We've had lots of adventures like that...driving places where we never saw another car/person, having to bring in your own water, that sort of thing.

Also ... my new favorite beef jerky is Ray's Own Brand. I ordered a few pounds today. :p

Found that popular Best Beef Jerky review website. I'll have to try some of the high rated ones sometime.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm with Nep, the military ruined camping for me too. But after reading all these stories (and the passage of time) I'm starting to get the urge to get back out to the wilderness. My wife is more of a glamper though so it'll more likely be a solo outing or a weekend with the guys.

Free games updated 3/4/21

:lol:  Marine Corps style camping wasn't to your liking Shady? What part did you hate the most? The moldy shelter halves, those flat hard rubber b*tches that passed for a mattress? The MREs or sleeping with your rifle in hand? For me it was that worthless poncho liner that passed for a bed/blanket/poncho liner all in one.

Ah, now THERE are some memories! Actually the best part about being out in the field is nobody really f****d with you much.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

The last time I went camping was a three day "stag do" camp out in the wilderness in the middle of English November in the woods.  It was fun, if cold. The groom's father happens to be some major dude in the scout movement here, so he pretty much organised the camping side, the equipment, and setting up a few fun/interesting things during our time out there including soem basic camping lessons, fire building, knife handling, axe throwing, etc..  and besides having the keep the camp fire burning, the tepee tents which were pretty damn amazing, we did drag along a fair amount of whiskey, tequila, and assorted other extras.  Safety, the name of the game.. :shifty:

I think in a lot of ways, camping can come down to the atmosphere of who you happen to go camping with. Or your mental state if you're camping on your own...

The last time I was camping I was caught in the middle of an apocalyptic thunderstorm on a mountain top at 7800 ft / 2400m altitude, I'll never forget that night, one of the few times I was *really* scared.
To give you an idea how it feels to be INSIDE a really potent thunderstorm at that altitude - imagine you're sitting in one of those WW1 trenches while getting bombarded with hundreds of 20cm shells for hours and you can do nothing but sit there and hope that you don't get hit. 

The rain was so heavy it got through the skin of my tent turning it into a greenhouse which destroyed one of my digital cameras and the lightning was so extreme it hurt my closed eyes.
I still don't know what I did wrong but Thor was really pissed at me that day.

However, next day I was rewarded with this extremely beautiful sunrise: 

Pic12_zps5b5f639a.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 5

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I don't know which is more awesome, the story or the picture. Very cool.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Woldan is my new favorite poster. Lovely photo.

Hubs injured a shoulder so it was a take-it-easy Wed. Made some grub for him, had him all comfy on the couch, watched TV. And that sack of oranges he brought home during the weekend - turns out they are pretty good. I ate 3 this afternoon. :biggrin:

:lol:  Marine Corps style camping wasn't to your liking Shady? What part did you hate the most? The moldy shelter halves, those flat hard rubber b*tches that passed for a mattress? The MREs or sleeping with your rifle in hand? For me it was that worthless poncho liner that passed for a bed/blanket/poncho liner all in one.

Ah, now THERE are some memories! Actually the best part about being out in the field is nobody really f****d with you much.

... Fifteen (larger than average) guys in a tent officially rated for 10 guys, with -26c outside...

at -26c, I'd guess it's probably better to have 15 guys in there!

Actually, no, since it means the stove is running at maximum heat so there's an acute burn risk.

The last time I was camping<snip awesome post>

Have you ever heard of or participated in the Eco-Challenge?

that is still the single most coolest thing I ever seen on tv and I'm pissed there are no DVD's of it.

----

Yesterday I spent all day gaining my first 6 levels in Fallout: New Vegas, and walking a few miles on "the longest road" while overencumbered, crippled and hunted by Legion assassins which were more powerful than I by far. It was fun and challenging.

Lession learned: Stealth boy is best kept for escape.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Heh, one of my friends did the Three Peaks Challenge last year. Which for those who don't know, is the mix of speed-camping and mountain climbing - As in, going up and down the three higheset peaks in the UK within 24 hours. The fun thing was that his dad did it with him, and that was about 10 months after he'd had a heart attack...

• Like 1