What you did today

Gorth

I thought I heard thunder outside, so I went out to see if it's raining. Blue skies and white clouds, semi-sunny, a little humid. Thunder again. Weird. Then a giant, fuzzy, black bumblebee tried to land on my shoulder and proceeded to chase me around the yard while Mr. Grey the cat twined around my ankles trying to trip me. And the thunder continued.

Maybe I'm actually napping on the couch and it's all a surreal dream.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ That would've made a fine video.  Gotta love cats being cats, hence my preference for dogs.  Though I still do enjoy feeding the feral cats, mind you.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Those giant bumble bees are freaky. We have these plants in our back yard that bees love (like there can be over two dozen bees on each small bush) and every once in a while one of those big ones will be there searching for nectar. I also saw, for the first time in my life, a hummingbird feeding on the flowers of that same bush. You really cant appreciate how small they are until you have one hovering right in front of you. Its beautiful.

Anyone else suffer from irritating cowlicks? I've had straight hair all my life and the main cowlick is the top/back of the head, right side. It's not so much a whorl as an area of hair that likes to split left on one side, right on the other, meaning it can look like I have a part going half way down the back of my head. When I was younger it wasn't very noticeable/wasn't bad, even with really long hair, but the older I get the more unruly and "split" it becomes, causing my straight hair to no longer be so straight (gets wavy at certain lengths). And now it seems like I have one close to the nape of my neck, causing it to want to not lay flat back there either. My scalp is having a mid-life crisis or something!

I've had short hair many times, but then you still have to style it to control cowlick issues and I hate hair that's "work." I just might finally shave my head. Maybe get a cat face tattooed on the top. Then probably a divorce from my utterly aghast husband. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought I heard thunder outside, so I went out to see if it's raining. Blue skies and white clouds, semi-sunny, a little humid. Thunder again. Weird. Then a giant, fuzzy, black bumblebee tried to land on my shoulder and proceeded to chase me around the yard while Mr. Grey the cat twined around my ankles trying to trip me. And the thunder continued.

Maybe I'm actually napping on the couch and it's all a surreal dream.

I was expecting some rain as well, but I guess it stayed near the coast because it was a hot day.  I took my son to Gymnastics and he kept just flopping around instead of following directions.  He was not digging the heat.

Up betimes, and exploded from both ends.

I'm running a fever as I write this. My immune system either over or under-reacting. All my joints are grinding together like a child playing reluctantly on the violin.

Now listening to Schubert and eating oranges under an iron sky.

Bit weird, but I've always liked those massive bees. There's something admirable in their size and broad benevolence.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I was going to watch Lincoln this weekend, but forgot all about it due to an excessive mining/digging obsession. Ah well, weekend over, back to reality. Also, baseball. 

Anyone else suffer from irritating cowlicks?

One dead center in my forehead (taken care of by a receding hairline...except for like three hairs that spring forth in different directions from that spot on my head) and two on the back of my head.

Pretty much makes trying to have any kind of hairstyle other than "cut very short" an exercise in frustration (or rather expensive in use of hair products).

That's on top of having motley beard hair (brown! red! blonde! now with grey!) that's thicker on the neck than on the face (awesome if you're planning on being a politician in the 1830s-1870s or so, not so much today) and the fact that my sideburns grow in different directions (possibly due to another cowlick) making one side look cool and rakish and the other as if I tried to grow muttonchops and failed miserably and well, frankly, you can see why I welcomed baldness from an early age. Thanks mom! :)

EDIT: Aren't the "large bumblebees" Carpenter bees looking for wood to bore a home into? 

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

EDIT: Aren't the "large bumblebees" Carpenter bees looking for wood to bore a home into? 

That's what they'd be in my neck of the woods.  I'm not sure whether such species are present out in California.

I got drafted to cook Easter dinner for 8 people yesterday.  My wife's family is predominantly California-based, but her sister and brother-in-law live a short ways away from us in MD.  Said sister-in-law has been hosting her husband's parents for the past week, visiting from their home in Tucson, AZ.  Further, Wife & Sis have a cousin who moved to Norfolk, VA, because that's where the Navy sent him, and who stuck around after his commission expired, as a reservist going back to school full-time.  As we're the only family he can get to in a day trip, he and his girlfriend were also invited.  My sister-in-law tried to arrange a get-together at a restaurant, but reservations at anywhere decent were hard to come by, so she turned to me late last week as "the guy who cooks for family gatherings." 

This was complicated a bit because my in-law's in-laws don't eat red meat or pork.  So, in a somewhat atypical move for Easter, we had fish.  I went to the fancy grocery store and bought a few pounds of a big white fillets (from a beast called "Whiting" or, if you're being fancy, "Hake"), that I could slather with a dijon-thyme sauce and broil for a couple minutes.  (I'm usually not especially picky about my ingredients-- all the other stuff was bought at the regular ol' grocery store-- but it doesn't pay to mess around when it comes to fishmongers.)  That came out pretty well, but the best part was the scalloped potatoes with mushrooms and goat cheese. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Not that I'm aware of. They're basically like honeybees, but tend to form much smaller colonies. They're just intimidating looking, like mini-flying teddy bears, like in this photo. Not usually very aggressive, but they can sting. Sadly, they're becoming more rare. (edit: I looked up Carpenter Bees - they're a different species/sub-species or whatever ... not the same. Most don't even appear to be nearly as "fuzzy" as bumblebees on the abdomen)

Ahhh so tired this morning. Maybe it's the humid/grey weather. Have to go out, tasks to do...but when I get back home I think I'll take a long nap.

Ah well, the Eastern Carpenter Bee that we get here looks like a giant bumblebee here locally (although not fuzzy on the abdomen - a bit hard to notice when you're ducking for cover thinking that's a wasp out of the corner of your eye).  Many different types of Carpenters though as well as bumbles (the ones here are distinctly smaller than the similarly colored Carpenter bees).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Today I keep hoping that

a) the deviantHEART dating thing at deviantART is an April Fool's joke

and that

b) the April Fool's on GoG isn't an April Fool's

:/

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Talked with a woman I rather fancy over the phone just now... Man, it's such a crazy story.

We've been working together (every now and then, not always) for about 3 years now. Always liked her as a person, but she had a house and hubby so I figured eh... I won't make an effort to get close to her (even as a friend) because those things usually go wonky.

Over the course of this time, she sometimes talked about her life at home and how it sometimes didn't work out between her and the guy. They get along but she always described it as he didn't really understand her as person, and I always got the impression that they were really pretty incompatible.

About 6 months ago, I started to take a liking to her more and more. At the time I didn't understand (or I blocked it off in my mind maybe) this, and figured that hey, maybe we'll develop a nice friendship. So, started to hang out with her a bit outside of work in November/December.

And a while back, we ended up, uh... getting together so to speak. Which is crazy because A) I really, really never figured myself to be a guy that would move in on a girl who was already hitched and B) she really, really never figured herself to be a woman that would cheat.

And now, she is looking for a new place to stay (my place is really too small except if it turns into an emergency) and has broken the news to the guy she's living with that she wants to end the relationship.

It's just... such a crazy story to me, and a situation I *never* imagined myself being in. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy that it is happening because I really, really like her and feel stronger about her than I've ever done before about a person. But sometimes I just think about it all and it's like... man, what on earth is *happening*? :)

Phew!

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

That's what they'd be in my neck of the woods.  I'm not sure whether such species are present out in California.

I got drafted to cook Easter dinner for 8 people yesterday.  My wife's family is predominantly California-based, but her sister and brother-in-law live a short ways away from us in MD.  Said sister-in-law has been hosting her husband's parents for the past week, visiting from their home in Tucson, AZ.  Further, Wife & Sis have a cousin who moved to Norfolk, VA, because that's where the Navy sent him, and who stuck around after his commission expired, as a reservist going back to school full-time.  As we're the only family he can get to in a day trip, he and his girlfriend were also invited.  My sister-in-law tried to arrange a get-together at a restaurant, but reservations at anywhere decent were hard to come by, so she turned to me late last week as "the guy who cooks for family gatherings." 

This was complicated a bit because my in-law's in-laws don't eat red meat or pork.  So, in a somewhat atypical move for Easter, we had fish.  I went to the fancy grocery store and bought a few pounds of a big white fillets (from a beast called "Whiting" or, if you're being fancy, "Hake"), that I could slather with a dijon-thyme sauce and broil for a couple minutes.  (I'm usually not especially picky about my ingredients-- all the other stuff was bought at the regular ol' grocery store-- but it doesn't pay to mess around when it comes to fishmongers.)  That came out pretty well, but the best part was the scalloped potatoes with mushrooms and goat cheese. 

I've never lived near enough to the sea to stick to just fresh fish. But your strategy is certainly what I'd do given the chance. That or sushi. ;)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Talked with a woman I rather fancy over the phone just now... Man, it's such a crazy story.

We've been working together (every now and then, not always) for about 3 years now. Always liked her as a person, but she had a house and hubby so I figured eh... I won't make an effort to get close to her (even as a friend) because those things usually go wonky.

Over the course of this time, she sometimes talked about her life at home and how it sometimes didn't work out between her and the guy. They get along but she always described it as he didn't really understand her as person, and I always got the impression that they were really pretty incompatible.

About 6 months ago, I started to take a liking to her more and more. At the time I didn't understand (or I blocked it off in my mind maybe) this, and figured that hey, maybe we'll develop a nice friendship. So, started to hang out with her a bit outside of work in November/December.

And a while back, we ended up, uh... getting together so to speak. Which is crazy because A) I really, really never figured myself to be a guy that would move in on a girl who was already hitched and B) she really, really never figured herself to be a woman that would cheat.

And now, she is looking for a new place to stay (my place is really too small except if it turns into an emergency) and has broken the news to the guy she's living with that she wants to end the relationship.

It's just... such a crazy story to me, and a situation I *never* imagined myself being in. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy that it is happening because I really, really like her and feel stronger about her than I've ever done before about a person. But sometimes I just think about it all and it's like... man, what on earth is *happening*? :)

Phew!

Is that the

?
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Finally moved my main rig back into my office. Had to dust out the allergens first...at a glance it didn't look very dusty but using the squeeze bulb, volcano plumes of dust out of the top fans area and GPU fan outlets. 4 months and it was that bad - collects a lot slower in the den, maybe because I don't open windows in here often, plus less dust-creators. Indoors, paper products are the worst dust/fiber creators, btw...as bad as or worse than rugs/blankets.

Anyway...it's nice to be back in my personal fortress of solitary tech masturbation. Gets irritating trying to be on the PC while hubs has the TV blaring in my ears or is doing whatever else. If hubs still wants to play BL2 he'll have to find us some good headset gear or just put up with the crappy sounding intercom. Sorry, sweetie. Maybe next winter I'll move into the living room again. Maybe.

Back from a road trip for work. I'm taking the rest of the week off (sort of) then meeting next week for the purchasing agreements for the Dyer County project. Busy busy.

On a side note it gets bloody cold in Iowa. Yeah, yeah I know all you Scandinavians are rolling your eyes right now. Canadians too. Remember all experiences are relative.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Phew!

I'm only saying this because I've been in the same place more than once, and (as most of us do) I try to make others validate my decisions ;)

SO...

This is a rude thing to say, but I guess I can since I don't know her and it's not like a personal insult.

There's a good reason why you wouldn't normally imagine being in this position. It's because it's a mess. Messes are inherently exciting, and often seem harmless because they're exciting. But they aren't once the first buzz wears off.

My advice is to back off immediately. Stop sleeping with her. Help her. But don't ford straight into something immediately. Lend her money to get a place on her own if you have to. Just don't let her into yours. If she's still interested once she's made the break properly and is running under her own steam, then fair play. caveat I am after all an Englishman and emotions are to be feared and mistrusted, like sheep.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues