What you did today

Gorth

****!... ****!... ****!...

Bloody engineers at Samsung got the "bright" idea of pouring some kind of liquid plastic (not really, but the same consistency) over the connectors on the very PCB I wanted to heat up. No way I could detach the cable without break the connector beyond repair. Ah well, got the monitor assembled back to its previous state. Can see something on it, but the darn flicker is driving me insane >_<

I'll never ever voluntarily or knowingly buy a piece of equipment with a Samsung logo on it. If I ever waver, I'll have to go back and read this post as a reminder.

Time to save up for a replacement monitor.

Samsung has planned obsolescence pretty heavily in their monitors and tvs. They deliver basically amazing value for money precisely because of this - they're supposed to fail fast. Some times you can circumvent it by changing some caps if you know what you're doing, but they seem to have smartened up and made it at least somewhat more difficult.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

After seeing them in the stores many times, I decided to buy one of those cheap air-activated hand warmer packets out of curiosity. Took it out of the package. Shook it. Waited. Shook it some more. Shook it like I was shaking chicken pieces in a shake n' bake bag. It finally started feeling vaugely warmish, so I put it between my shirt and my bare belly. But unless I put pressure over it, I can't even tell it's there...it does work ok for a short while placing it between top of slipper and top of sock-foot, but it's not even as warm as a purring cat. I am disappoint...my life has been rendered meaningless now.

*goes and cries in a corner for lost dreams of using hand warmer packets to stay alive in case I'm ever caught in a freakish, sea-level, California blizzard with no firewood...what, it could happen*

You have a house full of cats yet still need a hand warmer? :lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Samsung has planned obsolescence pretty heavily in their monitors and tvs. They deliver basically amazing value for money precisely because of this - they're supposed to fail fast. Some times you can circumvent it by changing some caps if you know what you're doing, but they seem to have smartened up and made it at least somewhat more difficult.

I wouldn't go so far as to call $1600 for "value for money" when the first monitor lasted less than a year (and I spent more than 3 months before involving a lawyer, registered mail and questions for the magistrates court to get Samsung to fork up with either a refund or a replacement) and the second lasted less than 2 years :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Our company has won a bid to build Wi-Fi in the public schools in Dyer County. Woo-Hoo! This will make them the first county in the state to have it in every school. I'm meeting with the county engineers tomorrow to begin planning, then I'm off to Des Moines and Sioux City on Thursday. Busy busy busy

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Our company has won a bid to build Wi-Fi in the public schools in Dyer County. Woo-Hoo! This will make them the first county in the state to have it in every school. I'm meeting with the county engineers tomorrow to begin planning, then I'm off to Des Moines and Sioux City on Thursday. Busy busy busy

Congrats!

Free games updated 3/4/21

Pessimism is doomed ;)

Congratulations :luck:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thank you! I was somewhat pessimistic about this venture when we first started last year. I could not be happier with how it has shaped up.

Plus today I figured out how to sync a Jawbone Jam Box to a laptop Bluetooth. It was not as easy as you'd think!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I wouldn't go so far as to call $1600 for "value for money" when the first monitor lasted less than a year (and I spent more than 3 months before involving a lawyer, registered mail and questions for the magistrates court to get Samsung to fork up with either a refund or a replacement) and the second lasted less than 2 years :(

... Neither would I. Frankly, I had no idea their prices went that high, my experiences are from their lower-middle end stuff, but apparently they use the same shenanigans to the top.

Ran through some more of the last minute things you take care of before going transatlantic journeying..

Dug out the old laptop to take with me. No idea if I'll be able to get easy access to the internet, but better to have and not need.. Plus I'll throw in my old copy of Alpha Centauri. That way if I do get stuck in airports or such I can have options beyond reading from the kindle.

Of course, no-one had used that laptop in about 5 months. So I've just spent the afternoon pretty much updating Windows, Norton, and assorted other gubbins on the thing.

Anyhow, I'll be oft into the wild blue yonder tomorrow at oh-dark-silly-hours. So if I don't get a chance to peer around here in the next few weeks, stay safe and have fun folks.. ;)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Anyhow, I'll be oft into the wild blue yonder tomorrow at oh-dark-silly-hours. So if I don't get a chance to peer around here in the next few weeks, stay safe and have fun folks.. ;)

And you, Earth-raithe remember not to confront Planet as an enemy, but rather welcome its mysteries as gifts to be cherrished.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

And you, Earth-raithe remember not to confront Planet as an enemy, but rather welcome its mysteries as gifts to be cherrished.

Someones been playing Alpha Centauri. :)

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

So I will go forth and clean the litter box.

And we say we own them.
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

... I realised that the bar exam is already on the 19th, and not at the just very end of April, as I'd imagined. >_<

I'm twice as annoyed since I don't need it to practice (my other qualifications exempt me from it), but the firm obviously does require it. So while I'm handling fairly major criminal cases here, I need to spend my evenings hitting the books about the basics at the same time... Oh, well. :p

• Like 1

... I realised that the bar exam is already on the 19th, and not at the just very end of April, as I'd imagined. >_<

I'm twice as annoyed since I don't need it to practice (my other qualifications exempt me from it), but the firm obviously does require it. So while I'm handling fairly major criminal cases here, I need to spend my evenings hitting the books about the basics at the same time... Oh, well. :p

Hi Nep

You  must see the positive side of studying in the evening, at least you aren't spending money :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is the bar exam something you only have to take once or does it require recertification at some interval?

In the States, it's a 1-time thing, but only good for 1 state.  Some states will honor bar exam passage in other states (or require bar passage, plus a certain term of active practice) to allow admittance to that state's Bar.  But sometimes, if you move or want to extend your practice, you've got to take another test.  I know a guy who moved around quite a bit shortly after law school and ended up taking 4 separate state bar exams (and passed them all). 

I'd quite enjoy being disbarred in the State of Louisiana. Would look good on business cards.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd give a lot, sometimes, if someone would invent a product that would allow cats to open cans of cat food and feed themselves.

Also, it's funny how if you watch someone sing, they can sound fine to your ears because their facial expressions help convey emotion to you which somehow elevates it, but if you listen without looking at them, they suddenly sound terrible. Or, vice versa.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'd give a lot, sometimes, if someone would invent a product that would allow cats to open cans of cat food and feed themselves.

Also, it's funny how if you watch someone sing, they can sound fine to your ears because their facial expressions help convey emotion to you which somehow elevates it, but if you listen without looking at them, they suddenly sound terrible. Or, vice versa.

I hadn't considered that as factor in live performance, but now you mention it, I'd say you might be right.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I was lucky enough to spend most of the day in the sun (almost feels like summer) and the evening/night in good company.. How should I spend my weekend though - fun or serious? I need to study, but spending time socially builds network.. decisions decisions decisions..

Fortune favors the bald.

Is the bar exam something you only have to take once or does it require recertification at some interval?

Just the once, there's some training I need to participate in fairly regularly to maintain the qualification, but the exam itself is something I have to do just once.

Also, I've been here less than a month and I already got a raise and a promotion (from "associate" to "of counsel"). I kind of like this place. ;)

• Like 3

My company spent all its money on buying other companies, so we all got the shaft on pay this year. But considering how much work I actually do, I'm still overpaid :lol:

Time to start looking, which will be depressing.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra