I also had a problem with the concept sketch of the dungeon, but for a different reason. It seems like the "bowels" of your dungeon look too much like actual bowels: the dungeon looked a little too linear with a pre-selected path. There had been a lot talked about in the forums about good dungeon design and Jaquaying your dungeons. 

Please please please consider this if you have not already. This is a highly important aspect that you should consider in your vertical slice! http://www.thealexandrian.net/archive/archive2010-07c.html#20100723

The cave level is being developed for technical purposes (developing organic cavern levels) and is small in overall size.  The level above it has two entrances (though in this dungeon they are relatively close) and can be explored non-linearly.  In terms of labyrinthine layouts, we will generally avoid long dead-ends in favor of loops (small dead-end branches are fine).

E: In my own campaigns, I always try to design dungeons with multiple entrances and multiple ways to explore them.  I'd like to do the same in PE when the size of the level supports it.

• Like 9

I liked the dungeons in the IE games. On the other hand i find sprawling, huge dungeons like in the old Gold Box games or ToEE temple dungeons boring. I hope P:E dungeons to be in line with Watcher's Keep, Durlag's Tower, Dragon's Eye etc.

I also had a problem with the concept sketch of the dungeon, but for a different reason. It seems like the "bowels" of your dungeon look too much like actual bowels: the dungeon looked a little too linear with a pre-selected path. There had been a lot talked about in the forums about good dungeon design and Jaquaying your dungeons. 

Please please please consider this if you have not already. This is a highly important aspect that you should consider in your vertical slice! http://www.thealexandrian.net/archive/archive2010-07c.html#20100723

The cave level is being developed for technical purposes (developing organic cavern levels) and is small in overall size.  The level above it has two entrances (though in this dungeon they are relatively close) and can be explored non-linearly.  In terms of labyrinthine layouts, we will generally avoid long dead-ends in favor of loops (small dead-end branches are fine).

E: In my own campaigns, I always try to design dungeons with multiple entrances and multiple ways to explore them.  I'd like to do the same in PE when the size of the level supports it.

Thanks Josh, for clearing that up. All the best to you and the rest of the team. We all look forward to hearing from you guys in a few weeks.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

All this sounds great. I've been following Shadowrun Returns also, another kickstarter project, and already this one seems more promising.  SRR is starting to disappoint me a bit honestly.  Also, when will you be doing beta-testing? I'm sure it will be a long way off, but I really want to be a part of it. I've never played a beta before, and I can't play this game soon enough.  Hopefully beta is not open only to backers, but that may be the case, idk.

All this sounds great. I've been following Shadowrun Returns also, another kickstarter project, and already this one seems more promising.  SRR is starting to disappoint me a bit honestly.

Perhaps then it's a good thing you haven't played it or seen the game in its finished form. :wacko:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Also, when will you be doing beta-testing? I'm sure it will be a long way off, but I really want to be a part of it. I've never played a beta before, and I can't play this game soon enough.  Hopefully beta is not open only to backers, but that may be the case, idk.

No offense, but I sure as hell hope the Beta is NOT open to just anyone. The Beta key entitlement was something we backers had to specifically pay for. It started at the $110 Pledge tier and was then avaliable to Backers who added +$25 to their pledges for it. I specifically upped my donation accordingly so I'd have beta access. If I later find out that I didn't need to do any such thing in order to get access to the Beta, I'll be pissed. Edited by Stun

^^^^ A larger image probably wouldn't provide more detail: it looks like a rough prototype. Maybe they'll show us the mockup of the prototype once they have it working.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Since you guys are wrapping up the prototype phase, I wonder who your tech folks are? The reason I ask is initially you all mentioned trying to create the game at a specific resolution larger than 1080p would take up a lot of space, many blu ray drives worth, I believe you stated. Well as of the end of Jan, there was a breakthrough in technology that now allows you to stream data up to 8k resolution over the internet and is roughly 60% less bandwidth as the current industry standard of H.264. It's called HEVC or H.265 and will be the new standard allowing you to push the envelop much more than previously anticipated. Developers are already designing for it, and it should be 100% functional before this game ships. I leave this article for your staff to consider. Smart phones will be able to start using it this month. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ntt-docomo-hevc-4ktv-201302262701.htm

I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm just slightly disappointed.

I told myself I'd keep up hope that the impossible "weekly update" promise would be upheld. Regardless, I don't oppose the theory of waiting longer for updates and getting more out of them/freeing up more time for people to be doing their jobs. It's just I hardly remember to check as it is... 

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

Since you guys are wrapping up the prototype phase, I wonder who your tech folks are? The reason I ask is initially you all mentioned trying to create the game at a specific resolution larger than 1080p would take up a lot of space, many blu ray drives worth, I believe you stated. Well as of the end of Jan, there was a breakthrough in technology that now allows you to stream data up to 8k resolution over the internet and is roughly 60% less bandwidth as the current industry standard of H.264. It's called HEVC or H.265 and will be the new standard allowing you to push the envelop much more than previously anticipated. Developers are already designing for it, and it should be 100% functional before this game ships. I leave this article for your staff to consider. Smart phones will be able to start using it this month. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ntt-docomo-hevc-4ktv-201302262701.htm

What does a new video streaming codec have to do with Project Eternity's data size?

PE's data will consist of pre-rendered background images, 3D models and textures for characters, etc. All of that will presumably be compressed using appropriate image/texture/data compression technology.

Video streaming is something else entirely.

^^^^ A larger image probably wouldn't provide more detail: it looks like a rough prototype. Maybe they'll show us the mockup of the prototype once they have it working.

That is dungeon concept, it is not in game graphics and don't represent ingame grapichs. As it only meant to represent how dungeons are build.

What does a new video streaming codec have to do with Project Eternity's data size?

PE's data will consist of pre-rendered background images, 3D models and textures for characters, etc. All of that will presumably be compressed using appropriate image/texture/data compression technology.

Video streaming is something else entirely.

I don't have time to go into it because it would be quite a long post, but suffice it to say there are a lot of open doors this technology brings with it. The very least of which would be much superior cinimatics than current 720p videos that are common place today that get upscaled to imitate 1080p. We're talking 4X full HD at 60FPS & 60% less of the data size of the highest quality 1080p settings currently. That also means they can render out superior animations for the environment maps at lower data limits that they have budgeted for across more of the assets, and so much more. I use similar techniques on interactive websites now, and its going to radically change the way I work. I'll be able to do some ridiculous animations now.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

Maybe it is not right place but, fIrst of all wanted to thank devs for great games they made and with Project Eternity i am 100% sure you will make great game that will become "gold classic" :bow: :bow: :bow:

By the way Project Eternity stuck as a game name, is it the final name of the game, or on what of those phases you will give a name for your creation? :dancing:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

“YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH...”

By the way Project Eternity stuck as a game name, is it the final name of the game, or on what of those phases you will give a name for your creation? :dancing:

P.E. is just the project name (or whatever term they use these days) ... so no, not the final name of the game. No clue when they might decide on/reveal the final name. I'll be curious what they come up with, too. :)
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Quick! Someone host a Kickstarter for an RPG in which you're a gamer, anxiously awaiting the release of P:E and/or Wasteland 2 and/or Shadowrun:Returns, and your main quest is to locate a quality RPG to play until such time, all the while coping with everyday life! Annnnnd GO!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u