Character Record Keeping

I dunno if that's the best term for it; in the Infinity Engine games, there was a screen you could get to somewhere for each character in your party which basically had a list of how much damage they'd done ever, what percentage of the party's total damage, what percentage of the party's total kills, how many kills, favourite weapon, favourite spell (favourite based on regularity of usage) what the most powerful foe they'd vanquished was...

I liked it. It was cool. I would like something like this to be implemented in Project Eternity.

OK cool that's all I got carry on.

• Like 1

I totally thought you were talking about in game character journal entrys or capability that the player could fill out or not based on progress and or as a method to figure out what to do next with your character(s).

I remember the screen for character damage & favourite spell etc.  I'm a bit ambivalent on this, I'm not sure the game needs to tell the player what your character's favourite spell is.

Now that I think of it, I would love to have some means of taking notes in game. I always circumvent this limitation by taking physical notes (greater chance of loosing it) or writing it in Biography window (which is awkward). Would be great if there was some means to write in PE. And it's role-play friendly as well ! 

signqev.jpg

I kind of wish they'd have an annotatable panel listing in-game people that you've met and where you met them. That might actually be useful.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Now that I think of it, I would love to have some means of taking notes in game. I always circumvent this limitation by taking physical notes (greater chance of loosing it) or writing it in Biography window (which is awkward). Would be great if there was some means to write in PE. And it's role-play friendly as well !

You have missed the point entirely. OP isn't referring to taking notes, OP is referring to a stat/performance-tracking system (i.e. most damage dealt in a single attack, who has made the most kills, how many points of healing you've done over the span of the game, etc.) which is pretty standard in gamin these days (F3 and NV had it, all of the GTA games post-GTA3, etc.) Edited by AGX-17

I kind of wish they'd have an annotatable panel listing in-game people that you've met and where you met them. That might actually be useful.

I agree

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I like having that, especially the most powerful enemy killed and how long they've been with the party and such things. Favoured weapon and spell are usually pretty obvious anyhow. To me, it's interesting to look back on every now and then, and it's an interesting record of what a character had done in the group when they die.

The other kind of record keeping could also come in handy. I don't usually take notes myself, but I know that some people do, and there have been one or two times that I might have done so had it been readily available.

knightofchaoss.jpg

I liked this in games that tracked it (Arcanum for example), and would like it in Project Eternity, not least because it should be fairly trivial to implement.

Expanding to not just being overall, but perhaps over last level or last ingame month (or whatever's appropriate) could be interesting as well.

I like having that, especially the most powerful enemy killed and how long they've been with the party and such things. Favoured weapon and spell are usually pretty obvious anyhow. To me, it's interesting to look back on every now and then, and it's an interesting record of what a character had done in the group when they die.

The other kind of record keeping could also come in handy. I don't usually take notes myself, but I know that some people do, and there have been one or two times that I might have done so had it been readily available.

I'd like if some of it (obviously not things like "highest damage dealt") was kinda worked into the game world, rather than just plastered on a stats screen. Like "toughest enemy killed." Maybe you can bring heads back or something, and you can check with bards/gleemen in taverns, or just listen to gossip in the market to hear what people have to say about the knowledge of what all you've killed (sort of ties into reputation).
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'd like if some of it (obviously not things like "highest damage dealt") was kinda worked into the game world, rather than just plastered on a stats screen. Like "toughest enemy killed." Maybe you can bring heads back or something, and you can check with bards/gleemen in taverns, or just listen to gossip in the market to hear what people have to say about the knowledge of what all you've killed (sort of ties into reputation).

That sounds too troublesome.

I like statistical tracking (kills, kills of X type, deaths, healing done, and so on).  It's non-essential but fun and interesting information that some players enjoy using to determine party and gearing strategies.

While it probably needs to be implemented from a much earlier stage in a project's development to achieve its potential, I like Lephys' idea of making tracked stats and accomplishments relevant to a game in some way.  Reputations (as in specific titles, not a faction-based disliked-neutral-liked-loved scale) for certain major kills or milestones could prompt characters in the game respond in a certain way.  Having a character known as The Orcslayer, for example, for delivering the KB to a thousand orcs, could result in changes in dialogue in an encounter with an orc chieftain if that character is in the party.  Perhaps a town that has been particularly plagued by orcs might react to The Orcslayer being in their town differently than they would otherwise.  And so on.   In fact, it can add replayability as players metagame to achieve certain reputations to see how the game changes.  Not something for Eternity perhaps, but the concept has it's place in the RPG genre IMO.  I'm guessing there are probably games out there than do implement something like this ... I just haven't played them.

That sounds too troublesome.

... Truly? 'Cause, you know, they kinda already react like that to completed quests and stuff. I wouldn't think it'd be very troublesome to put in some optional achievement-type factors that warrant a change in NPC behavior/dialogue/your character's reputation.

Maybe that's just me, though. *shrug*

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 1 month later...

I dunno if that's the best term for it; in the Infinity Engine games, there was a screen you could get to somewhere for each character in your party which basically had a list of how much damage they'd done ever, what percentage of the party's total damage, what percentage of the party's total kills, how many kills, favourite weapon, favourite spell (favourite based on regularity of usage) what the most powerful foe they'd vanquished was...

I liked it. It was cool. I would like something like this to be implemented in Project Eternity.

OK cool that's all I got carry on.

I second this!

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

I am up for some stat whoring as well. Would be good for minmax theorem etc.

One example is Titan Quest, while it keeps some records, the game actually keeps a lot more stored in your character file.

The game tracks:

Kills, Deaths, Greatest Damage Dealt, among the normal stuff like experience

The TQ character editor TQDefiler is able to extrapolate data that is not displayed in the character secondary tab:

Health & Energy potions consumed, Hits Recieved, Hits Inflicted, Critical Hits inflicted

This kind of record keeping is very easy, it only requires some very minor code extension such as every time you do one of the actions, adding the value to a count++ and storing that value in the character file(s).

Edited by Sensuki

I Agree with this it's pretty fun to be able to see who made the killing blow on that difficult boss, not to mention it helps you see who are actually your more effective characters, sometimes you're surprised by the results. The way it worked on the IE game would be perfect IMHO, but they could also go for more detail such as in RDR, where they show how many of each enemy you've killed, accuracy, etc.

I don't usually take notes while i'm playing but I've seen some people do it so a tool that would allow you to do something like that would probably be welcome too, though probably not indispensable.