Slacker Backer more tiers?

Any ideea what the backer portal is? An extension of the slacker backer?

I believe it is the mystical portal via which all backers of a minimum backing tier or higher shall make their way to the Obsidian headquarters for hands-on alpha-testing of the game, as well as Super Smash Brothers sessions with the P:E team.

I have been known to be horribly mistaken, though. u_u

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 2 weeks later...

I too, would like to get in on additional tiers.  However, there is an inherent conflict of interest here.  On the one hand, the people, who invested prior to the game's development took a risk that they would get crap back for a return.  Now that the project is further along, their updates give a good indication about quality, so the pre-purchase is a lot less risky.  These people, who backed the project in the beginning and made sure it would get off on the right foot, deserve more for their money than later backers, and would be rightly outraged if new backers could now have the same thing.

On the other hand, more money during a development phase is always better, and since the game is still in development, it makes sense for them to accept more donations ($29 now is better than an uncertain $50 later).  However, since previous money has already been invested, it only makes sense to charge the "slackers" more for the same return.  I am encouraged that they will allow people to increase their tiers, however, I would expect that the tiers will be significantly more costly than the original (based on the "slacker backer" cost, I'd say around 16% more)

I don't feel bad about letting others join the party ;)

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I would very much like to see a direct card payment option on their backer portal. Multiple KS projects had the option, and it seems strange to me why Obsidian, or inXile for that matter, wouldn't, at least after the actual Kickstarter ended. It would technically be no different from a pre-order, and would mean not losing money compared to PayPal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Though I was able to do the $250 KS Tier and feel the KS Tiers should remain special for those that took the leap of faith, if they were to increase the price by 20% or more for the same things later for more customers i'd be ok with that. I'm one of those crazy people that almost always pre-orders and buys the best CE of the game, just so I can have all the cool collectibles. Hell, I ebayed the Ultimate Loot Chest of Borderlands 2 for like $280 just to have some of the stuff I didn't get with the Deluxe Vault Hunter's I ordered, as I missed the ULC order limit.

Edited by Dominativus

Any news on the  Backer Portal?

I did some digging since I was curious myself. I'm a KS backer. It seems to be a work in progress but there were some understandable delays (new baby, etc.). I seriously can't think it's their highest priority right now. Maybe if we gave them less cash they'd be better motivated to get a backer portal working to draw in more funds ;). Patience, I'm sure it will turn up well before it's strictly needed.

• 1 year later...

However, since previous money has already been invested, it only makes sense to charge the "slackers" more for the same return.  I am encouraged that they will allow people to increase their tiers, however, I would expect that the tiers will be significantly more costly than the original (based on the "slacker backer" cost, I'd say around 16% more)

I don't agree with this on the principle that I backed the game in order to see it published; not to create a market for collectibles. A contribution made now should have the same value as contributions made during the Kickstarter.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."