Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Monsters University. Despite some little twerp smacking the back of my head every time he went to the bathroom, I really enjoyed this one. Billy Crystal nails it.

• Like 1

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Man O' Steel.

Honestly, it's not really a Superman movie. It's a movie about the Archtype sure, but not the actual character of Superman. I feel like the guys at the WB studio are sitting there "Well, we mettled and got superman four, we arthoused and got Superman returns, we got the 'realistic' view with Man Of Steel... WHY DOES IT NOT WORK!?"

IMO, if I were a suit, I'd drag Bruce Timm in as a consultant. He's worked on Superman before, and could give you a better view of what Superman is about.

This feels like it'd have been fantastic as an adaption (would need the R rating though) of Hyperion from Squadron Supreme. Who's first super powered fight involved his opponent throwing cars (full of people) at him, and then just the people (in a shopping mall). The individual being fought was a serial killer who had the exact same powers.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

This was a Superman movie. Boo hoo. It wans't a carbon copy of Christopher Reeve's Superman. Boo hoo. Remakes shouldn't be carbon copies and if they are just stick with the original (even though Reeves isn't the original either).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This was a Superman movie. Boo hoo. It wans't a carbon copy of Christopher Reeve's Superman. Boo hoo. Remakes shouldn't be carbon copies and if they are just stick with the original (even though Reeves isn't the original either).

You're right they shouldn't. But this film's general tone and characterization should be akin to other works on the same character. It should be bright and offering hope, not being used by it's director and producer to show just how destructive the character would actually be in a fistfight.

I don't go read/see Superman to watch people get turned into a red mist by punches. Superman isn't "dark" and "Moody" and doesn't need to have the arch of "this is why he's a hero!" Superman is about technicolor awesome as he defends the earth and SPECIFICALLY goes out of his way to defend the city from damage in his fights.

Hell, part of the justification for his death in 1994 was that he had to hold back otherwise people would die. He deliberately was taking fights to places where there weren't people because then they wouldn't get hurt. And the flashbacks here establish that sort of character but in the climax you never see him attempting to just flat out save anyone except for the other primary cast.

And Volo, Educate yourself and read before making a post about somebody elses opinion. I specifically said this wasn't Superman AS A CHARACTER, it was him AS AN ARCHTYPE. And the character of the archtype who best fits this story would by Hyperion who sent a message to the US government by causing a massive 9.9 magnitude earthquake in antartica, by flying into the thing.

And Volo, Educate yourself and read before making a post about somebody elses opinion. I specifically said this wasn't Superman AS A CHARACTER, it was him AS AN ARCHTYPE. And the character of the archtype who best fits this story would by Hyperion who sent a message to the US government by causing a massive 9.9 magnitude earthquake in antartica, by flying into the thing.

To be fair, Hyperion is pretty much "Superman" in a world thats more 'realistic / cynical' then comic book, and if the government had found him and taken him away from the Kent's to be raised up. It's the "grim and gritty" version of what you'd get and what would happen when he realised he'd been lied to all his life.

As a character, the film was all about Superman as someone who had never used his power to full abilties and barely knew how to use them. Think about it, according to the film he's spent 30 years pretty much not using his powers if he could help it. So rather then the Superman who is good and true and skilled in everything, we get the Supes on trainer wheels who isn't really confident in himself. I half see this as all setting up character lines for the "Man of Tomorrow" film to follow on ;)

Hell, even the "romance" aspect isn't really a romance. It's a crush between Lois and Superman, and even the kiss is just adrenaline rush and no actual romance. As for the balance of Clark Kent / Superman.. that doesn't really show up. He's not one playing the other, it's some sort of half merge between the two without being either.

They've tried pushing it closer to the "real" world then a comic book ala Batman Begins, but I wonder how effective that is when you start losing the comicbook campy elements about a man in a bright blue suit who jumps tall buildings and is faster then a speeding bullet and is always impecabbly moral and ethical regardless of the temptation of vast power.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

They've tried pushing it closer to the "real" world then a comic book ala Batman Begins, but I wonder how effective that is when you start losing the comicbook campy elements about a man in a bright blue suit who jumps tall buildings and is faster then a speeding bullet and is always impecabbly moral and ethical regardless of the temptation of vast power.

That's the thing though, Batman works in a "real" setting because it's at least theoretically plausible. Superman has to just grab the super powers and run with it, because he's an alien from another planet who can fly, breath ice, shoot heat from his eyes, see just about anything, hear just about anything, and has monumental levels of strength (to the point they invented "Tactile telekenisis" for him). I mean, Secret Identity is probably the blueprint for how something like this should have gone (up until the college years maybe) where the kid learns about his powers and slowly comes to grip with them, then starts learning the dark side to publicity, then tries to do all of his heroing without being seen etc.

Instead we get a character who's built around (public conciousness wise) saving everyone, and doing the right thing, who doesn't really do either of those things. I'm not asking for a carbon copy of Christopher Reeve's superman, but the scene in Superman IV(?) where superman is screaming "THE PEOPLE! NOT THE PEOPLE!" is something that should be a core component of Superman's personality.

And this is HUGE SPOILERZ!

I will go out on a limb and say I don't mind that they had Superman Kill. He's actually done it in the comics, to the same person no less, so I don't think it's THAT big a deal that he actually killed the guy. BUT! It's how it's handled. In the movie he just sort of shrugs it off, even though something like that should be hyper-traumatic. In the comics I'm talking about, Superman had defeated a Zod Ursa and Non trio from a pocket dimension by removing their super powers. However those villians taunted superman by basically stating that they're gonna just turn around, get their powers back, and attack his own universe and he'd be defenseless because the kryptonite that'd be able to kill these villains would be gone (pocket universe). So Superman executes them on the lifeless leftover of their earth, and proceeds to have a near complete mental breakdown when he gets back because he can't reconsile the executions with his moral codes. He ends up spending some time having a second personality (who's also a vigilante but more in line with DKR "I kill you" Batman) before exiling himself into space. And in space he learns FAR more about his heritage, gets the Ereadicator, and is able to rebuild himself by breaking Warworld.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'd be great with "superman kills" as a story, if they spent the next movie expanding on the psycological consequences of that.

• Like 1

I would actually love to see a Hyperion or Squadron Supreme movie or new series. Marvel really needs to start printing Doctor Strange again as well.

@Calax

I agree with you, but my main problem with the movie is that they didn't show Superman trying to save people. I would have bought the despair he showed if instead of being punched through buildings while throwing Zod around, he was shown trying to get people out of the way. Also that fight scene was bloated, even by summer movie standards.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Man of Steel.

It sucked. Everything except the fight-scenes was really, really bad.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My theory is that the narative drive of big blockbusters is getting increasingly frantic, they are simply afraid to slow down because they are afraid people will lose interest. They are also written by comittee, making sweeping changes to the final cut following test screenings. The end result usually hinges on those very expensive actors because the story is a mess by then.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

"I don't go read/see Superman to watch people get turned into a red mist by punches. Superman isn't "dark" and "Moody" and doesn't need to have the arch of "this is why he's a hero!"

L0L Even in the Reeves movies, he got dark, moody, AND emo at times. Plus, he has killed.

Anyways, enough of the 'waaa it's not 'my' superman from decades ago' bullcrap....

White House Down - This is a much better movie than I expected considering another moivi with the same plot (which i didn't see) came out not long ago. The leads did a good job; but the secondary characters were fantastic and went to places I kinda was surprised at. The final 'twist' was predictable and unneeded though. Reviews bashed it for having 'jokes that ruin the action'. No such thing happened. 8/10

"I don't go read/see Superman to watch people get turned into a red mist by punches. Superman isn't "dark" and "Moody" and doesn't need to have the arch of "this is why he's a hero!"

L0L Even in the Reeves movies, he got dark, moody, AND emo at times. Plus, he has killed.

You make me giggle because of just how much you don't read.

L0L Calax L0L The Ultimate Troll.

P.S. You did a great job trolling me here!

I was posting on movies and you trolled me into having a silly non movie discussion with you. Well done. :)

Louis Malle's Zazie dans le metro. My prevailing - and repeated - reaction to this was "what is this I don't even...". It's a collection of Looney Tunes cartoons chopped up, tossed in a blender and brought to life. It's Chaplin in neon colours. It's Tati on amphetamines. It's a contrarian inverting all the established rules of filmmaking.

But it's also a charming, whimsical, and well, adorable film that goes beyond its slapstick routines and carries a healthy dose of smart observational humour regarding contemporary city life.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Tried to watch Wreck It Ralph. It started off ok/amusing, then that annoyingly voiced girl "glitch" character came along. Really grated on my nerves and I turned it off. Jane Lynch's chr. was pretty funny tho.

I think my days of really enjoying Disney animated tales are ... if not entirely gone ... at least pretty minimal. Animated films like Toy Story or Wall-E, or even more mature, not-aimed-at-family animated fare, sure. Anything else ... not so much.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Olympus Has Fallen.

A very silly film. Not in the comedic sense, but in that ridiculous action type of movie.

Aaron Eckhart as the President, Gerard Butler as the semi-sort-of-disgraced Secret Service guy, and a woefully underused Morgan Freeman.

When a bunch of North Korean Terrorists storm the white house and take it over in 13 minutes when the response time is 15 minutes for the US Armed forces to get there.. Oh, and they make a point of making sure it's NOT North Korean government, but non-connected terrorists who just happen to be from North Korea...and the terrorist leader has actually been hiding himself in the South Korean government service..

Still, entertaining in that silly way. And they blow up half the White House, but don't really get into any hugely jingoistic speeches..until like the final 5 minutes. But there are a lot of reaaallly unsubtle shots. The US flag getting shot up, and then the slow motion tracking shot when the terrorists take it down and throw it off the side of the White House..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just watched ' Scanner Darkly' Loved it. Bit slow midway, but some real Fear and Loathing mentalness throughout.

how can you stand the bugs! it itches just watching it!

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Zero Dark Thirty.

*deep sigh*

A very workmanlike treatment of a complex subject. Knowing homage to Blackhawk Down thrown in.

Good if you want a thoughtful attempt to deal with some seriously abstract 'true' history. With some neat shooty bits and torture.

Ultimately I have to say it bit off far too much to chew. The final raid was too weak, and didn't make it clear enough what it would have been like if it had gone wrong. No denouement to speak of at the end. Although the ending wasn't exactly BAD.

Definitely one to watch on DVD when you fancy a bit of brainwork and a chat. Bad if you want to get swept away in a narrative.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

World War Z - Terrifically acted for a blockbuster standards. Brad Pitt was fantastic. Some of the big set scenes were very good. I do wish the ending sequence was a little more epic. 8/10

• Like 1

That's the thing though, Batman works in a "real" setting because it's at least theoretically plausible. Superman has to just grab the super powers and run with it, because he's an alien from another planet who can fly, breath ice, shoot heat from his eyes, see just about anything, hear just about anything, and has monumental levels of strength (to the point they invented "Tactile telekenisis" for him). I mean, Secret Identity is probably the blueprint for how something like this should have gone (up until the college years maybe) where the kid learns about his powers and slowly comes to grip with them, then starts learning the dark side to publicity, then tries to do all of his heroing without being seen etc.

Instead we get a character who's built around (public conciousness wise) saving everyone, and doing the right thing, who doesn't really do either of those things. I'm not asking for a carbon copy of Christopher Reeve's superman, but the scene in Superman IV(?) where superman is screaming "THE PEOPLE! NOT THE PEOPLE!" is something that should be a core component of Superman's personality.

And this is HUGE SPOILERZ!

I will go out on a limb and say I don't mind that they had Superman Kill. He's actually done it in the comics, to the same person no less, so I don't think it's THAT big a deal that he actually killed the guy. BUT! It's how it's handled. In the movie he just sort of shrugs it off, even though something like that should be hyper-traumatic. In the comics I'm talking about, Superman had defeated a Zod Ursa and Non trio from a pocket dimension by removing their super powers. However those villians taunted superman by basically stating that they're gonna just turn around, get their powers back, and attack his own universe and he'd be defenseless because the kryptonite that'd be able to kill these villains would be gone (pocket universe). So Superman executes them on the lifeless leftover of their earth, and proceeds to have a near complete mental breakdown when he gets back because he can't reconsile the executions with his moral codes. He ends up spending some time having a second personality (who's also a vigilante but more in line with DKR "I kill you" Batman) before exiling himself into space. And in space he learns FAR more about his heritage, gets the Ereadicator, and is able to rebuild himself by breaking Warworld.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'd be great with "superman kills" as a story, if they spent the next movie expanding on the psycological consequences of that.

He shrugs it off?  He breaks down crying and then we jump in time to sometime later.  Not sure that counts as "shrugs it off".

I would actually love to see a Hyperion or Squadron Supreme movie or new series. Marvel really needs to start printing Doctor Strange again as well.

@Calax

I agree with you, but my main problem with the movie is that they didn't show Superman trying to save people. I would have bought the despair he showed if instead of being punched through buildings while throwing Zod around, he was shown trying to get people out of the way. Also that fight scene was bloated, even by summer movie standards.

We see him save people as much as he can; the best examples are during the Smallville fight though (the pilot, Christopher Meloni's character).  When we see Zod going into buildings, there are no people running away (compare that to when Zod knocks Superman where people are).

I saw WORLD WAR Z.  Which was better than I thought it'd be.  It still has some dangling strands of story bits I assume excised over time.  But overall it turned out to be an enjoyable thriller.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Unlike Jackie Chan, whose death was a hoax; Jim Kelly, who got his big break on Enter the Dragon, died on Saturday of cancer.

His movies have been a bit hard to get a hold of. I've only got my hands on Black Belt Jones 1 & 2 (The Tattoo Connection.) It looks like WB released a 4 pack a few years back though that also has Hot Potato, Black Samson and Three the Hard Way.

110942.jpg

You may proceed to rip me for my fake sympathy.

• Like 3

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I missed Three The Hard Way on TV recently.  Too bad, I wanted to see it but that station never seems to show movies at a time I can see them.  I want to see Death Dimension too.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man