Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Sentry always defeated himself. Usually by non-action - The Avengers got their assess handed to them by Black Bolt which wouldn't have happened had the Sentry not decided that to act and fight BB would risk unleashing the Void IIRC.

Given that he'd never unleash the full brunt of his powers on Hulk at the start of the fight - which is the only way he'd win - I think the fight (really fought to a tie) is reasonable.

Hmm, maybe I should go back and reread the fifth comic in the series because I thought he did unleash his full power on the Hulk. Even going so far as to say (paraphrasing); "so this is what it feels like to finally let go". I agree about his inaction, it made me laugh that he spent 29 hours standing in his doorway trying to decide to get involved or not.

isn't Sentry agoraphobic?

Anyway, wikipediaed WWH, seems I was compressing it in my head. The satellite blasts that take down Hulk I was remembering as Sentry's doing. Seems they both spent their energy to the point of going to human form, then Banner just punched sentry out.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

New Man of Steel trailer. I don't get the Zack Snyder hate.

That looks mighty impressive.  I don't think it will be the letdown that was Superman Returns.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

That looks mighty impressive.  I don't think it will be the letdown that was Superman Returns.

Aka Super-Creepy Stalker Man Returns

Really, really disliked that film.  The plane set-piece being the only thing of merit, IMO.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sentry always defeated himself. Usually by non-action - The Avengers got their assess handed to them by Black Bolt which wouldn't have happened had the Sentry not decided that to act and fight BB would risk unleashing the Void IIRC.

Given that he'd never unleash the full brunt of his powers on Hulk at the start of the fight - which is the only way he'd win - I think the fight (really fought to a tie) is reasonable.

Hmm, maybe I should go back and reread the fifth comic in the series because I thought he did unleash his full power on the Hulk. Even going so far as to say (paraphrasing); "so this is what it feels like to finally let go". I agree about his inaction, it made me laugh that he spent 29 hours standing in his doorway trying to decide to get involved or not.

isn't Sentry agoraphobic?

Anyway, wikipediaed WWH, seems I was compressing it in my head. The satellite blasts that take down Hulk I was remembering as Sentry's doing. Seems they both spent their energy to the point of going to human form, then Banner just punched sentry out.

Yeah the Hulk took down Sentry, after dealing with The X-Men, Thor, Dr. Strange, and a host of other heroes. Then again, this was a "Super-Hulk" who was stronger than any other Hulk, possessed Banner's intellect, and had martial prowess.

Also, I never liked Sentry, too OP to get into.

EDIT: Maybe we should take this discussion here. I hate to crowd a movie thread with comic book discussion.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

They gave away the bullet in the eye in the trailer though, so it was hard to be impressed by it.

Heck they had Noel Neill in it for a cameo and they made it creepy. So it was impossible to enjoy even that (at least Jack Larson fared a bit better).

I did think Routh did his best though; there's just no way he could have saved it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I thought that the casting was good, but the script was terrible.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hmm, maybe I should go back and reread the fifth comic in the series because I thought he did unleash his full power on the Hulk. Even going so far as to say (paraphrasing); "so this is what it feels like to finally let go". 

Ahhhh memories....

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

GI Joe - First off, I got the theatre all to myself, which was perfect.  I enjoyed it, but the best part of the movie was watching the dynmac between Channing Tatum (Duke) and Roadblock (The Rock).  The movie had some fun parts after that, but nothing really great.  Bruce Willis was also fun to watch.

I really think this whole IP should be based on a more fictional world though.  COBRA has melted the Eiffel tower and blown up London at this point, those are huge events and they are kind of glossed over.  It seemed weird.  Still, best not to think too much on the plot, it is a fun action romp and it does that well.  I think I might prefer the first one though, the character development was rather weak in this one, and my favorite part is bringing to life the action figures.

Leaving out Destro was also lame.

I think it was that they were trying to basically kick the old movie out of continuity, but they might have some of the old characters pop back up

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Anyone seeing early screenings of Oblivion? Reviews are pretty mixed, from terrible to so-so to "fairly decent." Hubs seems interested in it (via theater I mean), so I may get dragged to it sometime in the next few weeks. I guess that's fair, since I'll likely "drag" him to Star Trek...

I did think Routh did his best though; there's just no way he could have saved it.

I thought he did well in the role too, altho he wasn't particularly charismatic on-screen. And I remember how I thought "Kevin Spacey as Luthor! Perfect!" .... sadly, neither of them could save the film. I still like C. Reeve best, at least in the first and second films, even if they're obviously era-reflective dated at this point. I like to pretend the others don't exist.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm going to try and see Oblivion tomorrow. See how that goes.

RE: GI Joe, I think they were trying to do a "soft" reboot. That said the way they did things, I think a lot of the characters (if not the actors) from the first film could come back.

And finally G. Reeves is the best Superman, IMO. What can I say, I was an impressionable kid and I've never liked the modern Superman films.

... and apparently Joel Silver is producing a remake of Weird Science for Universal.  Trying to do a remake of a classic John Hughes 80's film could be dangerous. Although Silver apparently co-wrote the script of the original film, so it might not be as bad.  Although they've said they want to make it an "edgier, R-Rated comedy", so I'm guessing that means that this time they want to put some boobs in it rather then just do the teasing about them.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Someone drove a truck full of Ghostbusters DVDs into a warehouse full of Men in Black DVDs and ended up with something that looks as fun as it looks stupid.

Yeah it looks to be a fairly dumb fun film.

Going to watch that.

Those revolvers looked a lot like nerf guns.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

On regards to the Superman front, I have to say, yes Reeves managed to pull off both the Superman/Clark Kent role incredibly well. I'll always remember that scene that highlights the differences between the two "roles" when as Clark Kent he was about to tell Lois the truth..and his body posture completely altered and he kind of.. "unstretched"  and it was like "wow, superman in a business suit".. then he suddenly changes his mind and his body language retreats into the completely awkward Kent. That was very subtle physical acting.

But as to Lex Luthor..  Hackman's was just way too camp and tongue in cheek, and while Spacey is a great actor, his Luthor just kept me thinking of Norman Bates for some reason...  I think I have to favour John Shea's Lex from the New Adventures of Superman.  That just managed to portray him brilliantly, the mix of charisma, manipulation, balancing public persona with private mastermind. One minute charming and affable, the sort of guy who could win personal loyalty and respect , and then the next moment utterly ruthless and diabolical who could potentially scare the bejeebuz out of you.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

John Shea's Lex while not fitting physically, was an excellent portrayal.

He's no Clancy Brown though. Clancy Brown is great in everything he does though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

got around to seeing Iron Man 3 today

definitely better than the 2nd one, and i'd say on par with the first

couple of wtf moments, but overall pretty good

not sure what to think of what they did with the Mandarin though...

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!