Wondrous Items in Project Eternity

What sort of rare magical items would you like to see in P:E?  Here are some ideas.

Lantern of Soothing Light    - Regenerates HP over time. 10 ft. radius.
Lantern of Searing Light      - Harms Undead, as the spell.
Lantern of Blinding              - Medium range. Fort negates.

Censer of Disease Protection - +4 Fort vs Airborne Disease. 10 ft. radius.
Skull of Undead Detection      - Long range. Emits creepy low frequency choral effect.
Cube of Fiend Summoning (Hellraiser) - Requires Intelligence check and Will save to operate.

(Some items must be equipped in either the main-hand or off-hand to activate).

Other possible items:  Let your imagination run wild!

Orb / Sceptre / Statuette / Figurine / Idol / Book / Tome / Prayer Beads / Decanter / Jug / Tankard / Goblet / Candle / Periapt / Charm / Stone / Seal / Tablet / Skull / Creature [-Head / -Organ / -Eye] / Gem / Prism / Incense / Mirror / Chime / Egg

censer.jpg

Example - Censer of Disease Protection (active while equipped in off-hand).

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

I'd actually rather see a set number of magical utility items like this as opposed to every single weapon having to be saturated with stacked magical effects to be competitive later in the game. But not disposable scroll-type items, please; that DnD mechanic never did it for me.

More words: Sigil, Grimoire, Talisman, Token, Trinket, Badge, Emblem, Insignia, Relic, Artifact

• Like 3

I'd have wondrous items do something utilitarian. Like

"Lantern of Hocard"- Reveals hidden doors and creatures (and you'd have grades of them, some show only a specific type of hidden door, others show everything. A bit like the glyphs in thief 3.)

"amulet of foresight" Allows you a do-over of one dialogue every 7 dialogues. (greetings and other inane banter notwithstanding)

"Badge of authority" -"FBI, division six" allows you some extra bluff dialogue options of the "I belong here" sort.

"Invisible tent" allows you to rest in a public place.

"magic eight ball" You can ask it a question, it will give you an ambiguous answer which won't help at all. Found on the body of a high-priest in a cult which practices divination.

"ever-burning torch" Equipped in a weapon or secondary slot, causes light in darkness.

"Cursed ever-burning torch" similar, except goes out whenever enemies are nearby. Ideal for stealthy characters.

"toy robot" Automaton useful for distracting guards. You can plot the path up to 50 paces. also triggers traps.

"book of famous riddles and their answers" Gives a percentile chance of marking the correct answer should you be presented with a riddle.

"teleport stone" teleports you to the linked stone. wise to place one in your stronghold. similar to mark and recall from the elder scrolls games.

"The thousand faces mask" -works as a perfect disguise, while worn, player reputation is set to default for all factions. Gives access to initial dialogue in some cases. (great for going to factions which hate you, or for retrying a dialogue where you picked a different path earlier)

"grey wig" cursed item, everyone sees you as a horrible monster and flees or fights you on sight. this might help clear a path in some areas you could otherwise not easily bypass.

"Gehn's pocket plane book" A trap. You open the book, set it on a surface and it fades from sight. Any creature which walks on it triggers the trap, they are miniaturized and the book closes shut. The book can then be picked up. The victim is placed in stasis and will be released when the book is opened again, likely attacking the player when that happens. Infinite uses. (but with the caveat that you have to defeat the enemy you trapped last before using it again)

"band of truth" when worn makes you incapable of dissembling. Can be placed on an enemy for interrogation as well.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 7

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

"band of truth" when worn makes you incapable of dissembling. Can be placed on an enemy for interrogation as well.

Boom... Instant utility gain to Pickpocket. 8D

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"Badge of authority" -"FBI, division six" allows you some extra bluff dialogue options of the "I belong here" sort.

"magic eight ball" You can ask it a question, it will give you an ambiguous answer which won't help at all. Found on the body of a high-priest in a cult which practices divination.

"toy robot" Automaton useful for distracting guards. You can plot the path up to 50 paces. also triggers traps.

I'd rather not see magic gadgets that break the fourth plane; i.e. those that make reference to items from our modern world and period.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd like an item, let's say a sphere, that allows me to capture a creature that I brought down to a near death state...

Then I'd train that creature over the course of our adventures...

I'd use it in battle by throwing the sphere, causing it to burst open with the summoned monster!

through our adventures together the creature would grow to love and trust me too!!!

we might even meet other adventurer's with similar spheres who have their own monsters...wow...I really think i'm onto something here.

Edited by NerdBoner
  • Like 5

I choose you, nerdboner

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'd like an item, let's say a sphere, that allows me to capture a creature that I brought down to a near death state...

Then I'd train that creature over the course of our adventures...

I'd use it in battle by throwing the sphere, causing it to burst open with the summoned monster!

through our adventures together the creature would grow to love and trust me too!!!

we might even meet other adventurer's with similar spheres who have their own monsters...wow...I really think i'm onto something here.

You just won at forums. 8D

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I want to see a set of rapiers (in roughly IE terms):

Duelist's Justice

Rapier.

Piercing.

+2 to dex.

1 bonus to AC.

+2 to hit, +4 vs. evil.

On hit, 2 bleeding damage/s for 5 sec, save for half.

Ability: Once per day, duelist's challenge -

Wielder and target evil humanoid are instantly shifted to a pocket plane, healed for 20% of their max health, de-buffed, de-equipped, and then equipped with plain rapiers +3. If nobody has died after 15 rounds, Duelist's justice closes the pocket plane, deals 90% of its wielder's max hit points to its wielder and can never be equipped by them again, otherwise, If either fighter dies, the pocket plane closes, and the survivor is healed for 25% of max hit points. When the pocket plane closes, the survivors are re-quipped.

Duelist's Desire

Rapier.

Piercing.

+2 to dex.

1 bonus to AC.

+2 to hit, +4 vs. good.

Wielder and target good humanoid are instantly shifted to a pocket plane, healed for 20% of their max health, de-buffed, de-equipped, and then equipped with plain rapiers +3. If nobody has died after 15 rounds, Duelist's justice closes the pocket plane, deals 90% of its wielder's max hit points to its wielder in damage and can never be equipped by them again, otherwise, if either fighter dies, the pocket plane closes and the survivor is healed for 25% of max hit points. When the pocket plane closes, the survivors are re-quipped.

Duelist's Honor

Rapier.

Piercing.

+2 to dex.

1 bonus to AC.

+2 to hit, +4 vs. non-neutral.

Wielder and target non-neutral humanoid are instantly shifted to a pocket plane, healed for 20% of their max health, de-buffed, de-equipped, and then equipped with plain rapiers +3. If nobody has died after 15 rounds, Duelist's justice closes the pocket plane, deals 90% of its wielder's max hit points to its wielder in damage and can never be equipped by them again, otherwise, if either fighter dies, the pocket plane closes and the survivor is healed for 25% of max hit points. When the pocket plane closes, the survivors are re-quipped.

The above 3 Rapiers can be combined and re-forged into:

Duelist's Perfection

Rapier.

Piercing.

+3 to dex.

+1 attack/round.

2 bonus to AC., 4 bonus to AC vs. missiles.

+3 to hit, +6 vs. humanoid.

On hit, 4 bleeding damage/s for 4 sec, save for half.

Ability: Three times per day, duel to the death -

Wielder and target humanoid are instantly shifted to a pocket plane, healed to 100% health, de-buffed, de-equipped, and then equipped with plain rapiers +4. If the opponent does not share an alignment with the wielder, the opponent becomes afflicted with unworthiness and get -1 to strength, -1 to movement, and -2 to dexterity while in the pocket plane. If nobody has died after 15 rounds, Duelist's justice closes the pocket plane, deals 100% of its wielder's max hit points to its wielder in damage and can never be equipped by them again, otherwise, if either fighter dies, the pocket plane closes and the survivor is healed for 50% of max hit points, and re-equipped.

Hopefully there are no typos.

Edited by khango

Just like Wutan, well Odin, may be we get to sacrifice one eye for some divine boon. He dropped it into a Well of Wisdom. I'm tired of just statues having big gems in their eye-sockets. I want the possibility of a pc (preferably, a necromancer/palemaster type) sacrificing an eye and lodging in a magic gemstone in its place. How about an emerald of everdawn, which grants a human character night vision?

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

"Cursed ever-burning torch" similar, except goes out whenever enemies are nearby. Ideal for stealthy characters.

I like them ideas, but this caught my attention. Doesn't sound like a Cursed item at all, there's only benefits. A regular torch would do fine, and if you can throw torches or drop them, that's exactly what I'd be doing with my stealthy character and I'd get the same effect (hopefully).

To make the Curse more interesting and more "Cursey", then I think it should be opposite, it only shines when there are enemies nearby and you can't drop it (unless "Remove Curse"). In a way it gets beneficial in a "Sting" kind of way, you know that there are enemies nearby when it lights up, but they'd also know where you are (Unless there's a wall between you or something).

EDIT:

Cursed Shackle of Devouring: An active equipment item. By locking one side to their wrist, the user bonds his/her soul with the item. Meant for close combat. As the user locks with their opponent in CCQ, they can activate the item by forcing the other end of the shackle onto the opponent and they will be locked in combat until one falls. Draining each other's souls, only one can survive. The survivor will gain "much" strength, as the item devour their foes.

Mechanical aspects: It basically takes the soul of the opponent, so let's say you took down a Centaur with the shackle, then you could summon the Centaur in battle as a spectral ghost to fight for you for a brief moment that gets expended. Only one soul can be trapped. If there is no soul trapped the shackle will eat on the characters soul. If there is a soul trapped in the shackle, the user will get a slight statistical benefit, and the shackle will eat on the Centaur's soul until depleted.

Edited by Osvir

I'd actually rather see a set number of magical utility items like this as opposed to every single weapon having to be saturated with stacked magical effects to be competitive later in the game. But not disposable scroll-type items, please; that DnD mechanic never did it for me.

What's wrong with scrolls?

Those things could be life-savers

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Exactly, I find both potions and scrolls to be terribly non sequitur to the rest of combat, especially when their use can single-handedly turn the tide. I generally find both to be poor and uninspired mechanics, as the former is literally "magic in a bottle" for whenever you need it, and the latter only differs in a half-assed attempt to attach a skill to them (that being Use Magical Device). It's fine if you have characters that focus on magic, but I personally want to be able to play a character who is competitive without magic, especially if they have no magical ability themselves. Otherwise, if potions and scrolls play a significant role in combat, and the only weapons that are competitive are those saturated with magical effects, then all characters evidently become dependent on the magic-users for their power even if they supposedly aren't magic-using classes themselves. You could even go so far as to say all the classes become mages that are simply dressed up as something else, and with magic typically being so poorly explained I'd just like the opportunity to play a character who doesn't need to pull magic out of their ass to survive.

Edited by mcmanusaur

Exactly, I find both potions and scrolls to be terribly non sequitur to the rest of combat, especially when their use can single-handedly turn the tide. I generally find both to be poor and uninspired mechanics, as the former is literally "magic in a bottle" for whenever you need it, and the latter only differs in a half-assed attempt to attach a skill to them (that being Use Magical Device). It's fine if you have characters that focus on magic, but I personally want to be able to play a character who is competitive without magic, especially if they have no magical ability themselves. Otherwise, if potions and scrolls play a significant role in combat, and the only weapons that are competitive are those saturated with magical effects, then all characters evidently become dependent on the magic-users for their power even if they supposedly aren't magic-using classes themselves. You could even go so far as to say all the classes become mages that are simply dressed up as something else, and with magic typically being so poorly explained I'd just like the opportunity to play a character who doesn't need to pull magic out of their ass to survive.

Since wizards will be able to use weapons and armor, there had better be some magical 'use' items for everyone, otherwise that would be a pretty dumb balance issue again, amirite?

I dislike potion chugging as a practice employed by every peasant recruit in many ARPGs. OTOH if potions are a rare ressource that you want to hold onto as long as possible, that rewards good playing and adds additional choices. The same goes for scrolls, if they are rare (or better, gold to buy them is rare) they won't make your casters redundant.

I like them ideas, but this caught my attention. Doesn't sound like a Cursed item at all, there's only benefits.

Maybe if you're a rogue with low ligth vision (in which case, why would you need a torch?)

But if you don't know the torch goes out, because you don't know whether or not it's the cursed variant, and suddenly you're in darkness, surrounded by enemies, yes, I think you'd call it a cursed torch.

I think one way to see cursed items is as items which have a function but if you don't know it will work against you. But we discussed that in the cursed items thread.

---

Since wizards will be able to use weapons and armor, there had better be some magical 'use' items for everyone, otherwise that would be a pretty dumb balance issue again, amirite?

I dislike potion chugging as a practice employed by every peasant recruit in many ARPGs. OTOH if potions are a rare ressource that you want to hold onto as long as possible, that rewards good playing and adds additional choices. The same goes for scrolls, if they are rare (or better, gold to buy them is rare) they won't make your casters redundant.

Perhaps. But if you take that too far, with wizards using weapons and armor, and warriors using a bunch of magical crap, then all the classes start to become the same. Besides, I think the thing with wizards using armor and such was that it was an option, not something you had to do to be competitive, and likewise you shouldn't have to use magic to be competitive as a warrior either. That's my point.

Perhaps. But if you take that too far, with wizards using weapons and armor, and warriors using a bunch of magical crap, then all the classes start to become the same. Besides, I think the thing with wizards using armor and such was that it was an option, not something you had to do to be competitive, and likewise you shouldn't have to use magic to be competitive as a warrior either. That's my point.

Well, yes. A stack of healing potions bound to a hotkey, for example, doesn't make a cleric redundant (in DnD), but it's always ridiculous and does transgress into the cleric's sphere. One single very powerful potion that you save for that special encounter, not so much.

Also there's the fact that they aim to make all kinds of party compositions viable. If that means giving the fighter the ability to cast fireballs from a wand (maybe via Use Magic Device), I'm actually for it; like you said, as an option. Just like the option to tank with your wizard if you build him that way. I guess noone has resolved the conflict between "make all parties viable" and "make each class unique" yet.

Sir Tanglewyrm's Tankard of Fine Foaming Ale
- 1/Day, Immune to Fear. +4 Str/Con/Cha. 5 mins.
- Then -4 Cha/Int/Concentration for 5 mins.
- Courage! Followed by confusion and indecision. "Er...What was I saying?"

tankard%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Cittern of Sonic Annihilation
- 90° Large radius sonic blast. 10d6 damage. Fort save for half. 10d8 vs. Constructs, no save.
- Deafness, no save.
- Must be equipped in both hands. Use 1/Day.

2137.jpg

Edited by TRX850

Exactly, I find both potions and scrolls to be terribly non sequitur to the rest of combat, especially when their use can single-handedly turn the tide.

As opposed to a mage throwing a fireball? Potent items and tatical use of them can turn the tide of battle?  :blink:  Say it isn't so!!!!!

I generally find both to be poor and uninspired mechanics, as the former is literally "magic in a bottle" for whenever you need it, and

the latter only differs in a half-assed attempt to attach a skill to them (that being Use Magical Device). It's fine if you have characters

that focus on magic, but I personally want to be able to play a character who is competitive without magic, especially if they have no

magical ability themselves.

a) So I take it grandes are poor and uninspired product? I dont' see why. Scrolls are not easy to make and they aren't cheap either.

b) What makes you think you wouldn't be competetive. Adn your desire is a bit silly.

You wan't to be competetive soldier without using big guns?

Otherwise, if potions and scrolls play a significant role in combat, and the only weapons that are competitive are those saturated with magical effects, then all characters evidently become dependent on the magic-users for their power even if they supposedly aren't magic-using classes themselves. You could even go so far as to say all the classes become mages that are simply dressed up as something else, and with magic typically being so poorly explained I'd just like the opportunity to play a character who doesn't need to pull magic out of their ass to survive.

You're overreacting IMHO.

I don't see why you would be unable to kill a mage without magic - a sword to the throat should do just fine.

But baring that, it is silly to want to be equal to poeple who can alter the fabric of reality while not being able to. Either magic is potent or it is weak.

If its potent, then deliberately NOT using any of it SHOULD bite you in the ass. It would be the same as using swords only in the era of machineguns.

If it's not potent then mages and wizzards are reduced to insignificant con artists and magic loses a lot of it's appeal.

The bauble of heart's delight

Whomever sees it must pass a will save or be enchanted and utterly in love with this trinket.

Some see a necklace, others a ring, some a useful small tool. Each what they would value highly.

Can be used as a bribe.

The cheater's bauble of heart's delight

An updated version created by thieves guild craftsmasters. Does the same, but returns the owner after a day. The Owner is set by a ritual.

---

Exactly, I find both potions and scrolls to be terribly non sequitur to the rest of combat, especially when their use can single-handedly turn the tide.

As opposed to a mage throwing a fireball? Potent items and tatical use of them can turn the tide of battle?  :blink:  Say it isn't so!!!!!

The difference is that a mage has trained to throw fireballs, and that is what they enter combat planning to do. Now, I'm not opposed to having to adapt to the circumstances, but the character (or other party members' characteristics) should always be at the center of combat, not the random magical items you have, and especially not the one-use items like potions that really have nothing to do with the rest of your character if you are playing a warrior. Potions and scrolls just seem woefully disconnected from characters and the progression of things, and I'd say their use is a bit less than tactical...

1. Read Effect

2. Metagame (quite possibly) knowledge of which kind of enemy this would be good to use against

3. Purchase and stash in inventory

(Anywhere from fifteen minutes to a few months later...)

4. When the time comes let it loose!

This is why I call it a non sequitur. Perhaps if these items expire relatively quickly, require some kind of upkeep, or must be prepped before going into a battle, that could help a bit.

It's also non sequitur with regard to the character in that a warrior is using stuff that they may actually have no direct skill in. But hey, if it's stored in a bottle or attached to a weapon, you don't need skill, right?

I generally find both to be poor and uninspired mechanics, as the former is literally "magic in a bottle" for whenever you need it, and

the latter only differs in a half-assed attempt to attach a skill to them (that being Use Magical Device). It's fine if you have characters

that focus on magic, but I personally want to be able to play a character who is competitive without magic, especially if they have no

magical ability themselves.

a) So I take it grandes are poor and uninspired product? I dont' see why. Scrolls are not easy to make and they aren't cheap either.

b) What makes you think you wouldn't be competetive. Adn your desire is a bit silly.

You wan't to be competetive soldier without using big guns?

A) Grandes?

B) If these items are turning the tide of combat, that suggests that not using them is putting a significant dent in how competitive your character and/or party can be. If the big guns are all magical, then what's the point of trying to be anything else other than a mage? If developers want to make types of magic specific to warrior classes, fine. But currently all warrior characters tend to get in these games are one-use items and weapon enchantments that are ostensibly hand-me-downs from more magically skilled characters who have the ability to make them (with the seeming purpose of making these otherwise weak warriors capable of competing with mages). And to think some people have requested that society/all types of character be /more/ dependent on magic... :blink:

Otherwise, if potions and scrolls play a significant role in combat, and the only weapons that are competitive are those saturated with magical effects, then all characters evidently become dependent on the magic-users for their power even if they supposedly aren't magic-using classes themselves. You could even go so far as to say all the classes become mages that are simply dressed up as something else, and with magic typically being so poorly explained I'd just like the opportunity to play a character who doesn't need to pull magic out of their ass to survive.

You're overreacting IMHO.

I don't see why you would be unable to kill a mage without magic - a sword to the throat should do just fine.

But baring that, it is silly to want to be equal to poeple who can alter the fabric of reality while not being able to. Either magic is potent or it is weak.

If its potent, then deliberately NOT using any of it SHOULD bite you in the ass. It would be the same as using swords only in the era of machineguns.

If it's not potent then mages and wizzards are reduced to insignificant con artists and magic loses a lot of it's appeal.

It's not really about killing mages, it's about actually managing to be something other than a mage dressed up as a warrior. I simply think that if warrior classes cannot be equal to mage classes without pulling magic out of a bottle (because they're too stupid to use it directly), or having their weapon magically enchanted out the wazoo (with little effort of their own going into this process of enchantment), then you have a class with an identity crisis, and also just an uninteresting class balance to begin with. Magic can always be made more costly (though apparently not potions because there's like no downside to using them), which would help solve the problem (as there could actually be reasons for a character to prefer the simple sword slashing method as it avoids the heavy burden of magic), even if this burden rewards users with great power. It's not so black or white, and I think some new mechanics could solve the problem. But the real question seems to be if the players who have always used wizards are willing to take the notion that their magic might possibly not be the be all and end all.

Edited by mcmanusaur
  • Like 1

The difference is that a mage has trained to throw fireballs, and that is what they enter combat planning to do. Now, I'm not opposed to having to adapt to the circumstances, but the character (or other party members' characteristics) should always be at the center of combat, not the random magical items you have, and especially not the one-use items like potions that really have nothing to do with the rest of your character if you are playing a warrior. Potions and scrolls just seem woefully disconnected from characters and the progression of things, and I'd say their use is a bit less than tactical...

1. Read Effect

2. Metagame (quite possibly) knowledge of which kind of enemy this would be good to use against

3. Purchase and stash in inventory

(Anywhere from fifteen minutes to a few months later...)

4. When the time comes let it loose!

This is why I call it a non sequitur. Perhaps if these items expire relatively quickly, require some kind of upkeep, or must be prepped before going into a battle, that could help a bit.

Which is why I ask agian - how is that different than a soldier with a grenade? How is that different than a mage redying a sell?

You know what items/spell X does and you use it when the moment is right. A scroll could be a fighters tool as much a sword is.

A) Grandes?

B) If these items are turning the tide of combat, that suggests that not using them is putting a significant dent in how competitive your character and/or party can be. If the big guns are all magical, then what's the point of trying to be anything else other than a mage? If developers want to make types of magic specific to warrior classes, fine. But currently all warrior characters tend to get in these games are one-use items and weapon enchantments that are ostensibly hand-me-downs from more magically skilled characters who have the ability to make them (with the seeming purpose of making these otherwise weak warriors capable of competing with mages). And to think some people have requested that society/all types of character be /more/ dependent on magic..

A) Yes grenades. And example of an item that has nothing to do with your soldier...and is still used.

B) You seriously want to be competetive when DELIBERATEVLY choosing not to use powerful lequipment? When next? Will you refuse to use magical swords? Because..you know...magic?I mena, WTF were you expecting? In a world where magic is the the most powerful lthing, OF COURSE magic items can change the course of the battle. It's like refusing to use high-tech gadegtry because you don't want technology to overshadow your soldier, and then demand that your soldier beats the asses of everyone using power armor and laser rifles.

It's not really about killing mages, it's about actually managing to be something other than a mage dressed up as a warrior. I simply think that if warrior classes cannot be equal to mage classes without pulling magic out of a bottle (because they're too stupid to use it directly), or having their weapon magically enchanted out the wazoo (with little effort of their own going into this process of enchantment), then you have a class with an identity crisis, and also just an uninteresting class balance to begin with.

So the abiltiy to use a magic scroll means your fighter is now a mage?

You got to be trolling me.

Yes, warrior classes without good items/weapons and proper equipment and preparation SHOULDNT be equal to mages. If they were, I'd never bother playing a mage.

I'm sorry but the profession of a warrior is BY DEFINITION tied to equipment.