Temple of Elemental Evil

Not sure who played Temple of Elemental Evil but when it was released it was buggy as hell, but after decadeds of comunity patching the game is awesome.

Why I bring this up is because its a tactical fantasy gem, weapon reach matters you can hold off a guy with a short sword with a polearm, you can brace for attacks, charge into attacks, firing a bow into melee could result in friendly fire and theres ammo restrictions and types.

In general would like to more turn based options but of course this only really works well in turn based games this sounds like its going to be more like baldursgate which is not a bad thing.

• 1 month later...

ToEE was a fantastic game for tactical combat. Too bad the original game was butchered by the publisher. I really hoped that in project eternity they would follow the spirit of ToEE in terms of combat. Dragon Age: Origins, NWN and such was really mediocre games in terms of tactical combat due to the imprecise control and positioning dictated by the real-time with pause combat mechanics. Sadly, I have heard that RTwP was announced to be the combat style for P: E.

Yeah, best tactical combat I've ever.

Looks like PE will be very similar in terms of general graphics style. 2D backgrounds with some animation effects, 3D characters.

Right down to blue selection circles and stuff.

But Icewind Dale and IWD2 had darn good tactical combat despite being rtwp, and combat didn't last forever either.

Rtwp isn't necessarily imprecise hassle, though obviously wont give the same surgical precision of aiming the fireball yet one foot left,

to get maximum effect without friendly fire, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Hopeful, we'll see...

I have never played ToEE, but I recently bought it on GoG sale. Any non-spoiler tips before I start? (like e.g for Torment I would give "keep the bronze sphere" and for  BG2 "don't take portal over ship" )

signqev.jpg

I have never played ToEE, but I recently bought it on GoG sale. Any non-spoiler tips before I start? (like e.g for Torment I would give "keep the bronze sphere" and for  BG2 "don't take portal over ship" )

Try applying the CoE enhancement mod.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I found Vanilla ToEE to be the weakest of all the D&D proper games. The combat mechanics were generally good, but it had just two towns - a handful of townquests in each, and just one big dungeon that was cripplingly mundane if you were a good party. Level cap came flying long before the end to boot.

I do enjoy Temple to an extent, and having played it first time around I recently bought it from GOG myself. I still think it falls some way short of the Icewind Dales and Neverwinter Nights, and is light-years behind the Baldur's Gates.

• Like 1

Played ToEE and it was enjoyable, but I personally didn't find it to have a lot of replay value even with the CoE expansion. Perhaps I'll try it again some day.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Not sure who played Temple of Elemental Evil but when it was released it was buggy as hell, but after decadeds of comunity patching the game is awesome.

Why I bring this up is because its a tactical fantasy gem, weapon reach matters you can hold off a guy with a short sword with a polearm, you can brace for attacks, charge into attacks, firing a bow into melee could result in friendly fire and theres ammo restrictions and types.

In general would like to more turn based options but of course this only really works well in turn based games this sounds like its going to be more like baldursgate which is not a bad thing.

I got ToEE on GOG a while ago, but haven't started playing it yet. What are the must-have mods for it?

• 4 weeks later...

^Circle of Eight mod.

Regarding ToEE,I would have to say very much about it. It holds a special place in my gaming experience,and besides it being fairly short,extremely bugged (not after CoE,do not get discouraged) and somehow "incomplete",it provided new approaches,new ideas,and when you sum all the little details it serves as a great example on how things can be done. I was knocked by different beginnings based on party's alignment and how your first quest goes along with it. I liked most how magic missile and every spell further that fires multiple projectiles can be used more tactically,as you can assign every projectile to a target of your choice. I was fond of again seeing bucklers alongside two handed weaponry and javelins as another ranged weapon,I was awed by the vast collection of spells to be learned. I liked how rest button was colored green when location is safe to rest and orange to red when it wasn't,same as colored journal entries and feats.

The unique icons,the design of locations,the customization of characters and how they look ingame...The game has basically all the other titles had combined,when it comes to combat,tactics and cosmetics,possibly more. And all these details are done so well that it feels unmistakably advanced compared to other titles.

The story and quests are good,on moments brilliant. Ending is fair and to most will be satisfying. I replayed it,however,only because of "that something",that impression that ToEE leaves on you when you play it,especially when in combat.

That said,ToEE is a game that left much to think about,much to learn about and yet got neglected by many.

If anyone is interested in tips without spoils,send a message.

I replayed it last summer,still fairly fresh in my mind.

Lawful evil banite  The Morality troll from the god of Prejudice

ToEE was great.

Tactical combat and options are unsurpassed.

The only thing is lacked was that it felt like dungeoneering. I had the most fun with the game BEFORE entering the temple.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

With such raving testimonials, I guess I'll have to give it a try.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I thought the combat was great, but I found the setting and early quests a bit dull, didn't get far in because of that, though I've read it does get better, is that right?

With such raving testimonials, I guess I'll have to give it a try.

I can only advise without giving any spoils by saying "Go for it." As for tips,feel safe to text me a message here on the forum,there are useful tips that will not spoil your experience and will save you from reloading an earlier savegame. It is not a problem for me to answer with an advice when you are further ingame and get stuck or doubtful about something. Just explain the situation and I will recognize it,I'm sure.

• Like 1

I played it for about 2 hours at a friend's house, back when it was new. I remember it being pretty functionally awesome.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I thought the combat was great, but I found the setting and early quests a bit dull, didn't get far in because of that, though I've read it does get better, is that right?

The setting is pretty simplistic old skool good vs evil throughout. But the game does get better!

The first quests from the first village are pretty mundane stuff and the first real combat situations are cruelly difficult.

Fighting the first major enemies near the first village is when things are getting interesting and combat gets awesome,

with maybe 3th to 4th level, when you're already hitting more than missing.

The main temple is a dungeon crawl  and does lose focus here and there.

The major battles are interesting, but then there's a lot of fluff, strange creatures to fight in this room, more stranger in next.

In the original version the game level caps at 10th, making everything horribly difficult near the end, 

and meaning you wont gain any XP in the last couple of temple levels.

Circle of Eight modpack fixes a ton of bugs optionally adds a lot of new content and removes the level cap.

I might go back to it, but I'll restart from my old save and try to remember what i was doing rather than doing that first bloody village again

I've only played it with the circle of eight modpack, never even tried vanilla, since i only got it last year, and the first thing I did was search for mods and fixes

Edited by motorizer

I try to replay it recently but got 100% crash in final moat house fight. I was pretty **** and stop playing it. :( But combat is really fun in this game

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I dunno,since noone's texting me like I'm some kind of second coming of Valorian (yep,I read this forum thoroughly),maybe with the moderator's permission I could share my wis directly here. It would be,after all,in regard to the thread. The game is a must people, plus looks fine even in these modern times.

One request and a moderator's permission is all I need to start - how was it again - "raving".  :grin:

I try to replay it recently but got 100% crash in final moat house fight. I was pretty **** and stop playing it. :( But combat is really fun in this game

I had the same when I started. Then found someone claiming auto- and quicksaving can premanently corrupt a savegame.

(The saves can corrupt anyway, so keeping multiple saves is pretty much a must).

Anyway, avoiding those, I've still had a few crashes and an instance where game goes corrupt and every further save is corrupt.

Reload an older save and off you go again. Frustrating stuff, but doable once you're in terms with how things go.

Friendly fire Prince Thrommel to death then take Fragarach off his corpse.

It gets a lot better. In fact, the way XP is handed out (you get far more EXP and loot from killing stuff than you do from completing those retarded quests), I usually suggest to new players that they go ahead and Skip the majority of those worthless little quests in Hommlet. They're a complete waste of time and they're not fun at all. You only need 2 things to advance to the *main* part of the game:

1) Someone to point you to the Moathouse, and then...

2) Someone to point you to the Temple.

You can skip everything else. Although the quests in Nulb are a bit better, and yield more loot and story. You *might* want to do some of those.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Shame PE won't be utilizing ToEE like TB combat. I'm kinda hoping Sawyer gets a sudden epiphany and, with Tim, works out a TB mode to accompany the expansion pack. Not expecting it, though.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Friendly fire Prince Thrommel to death then take Fragarach off his corpse.

It gets a lot better. In fact, the way XP is handed out (you get far more EXP and loot from killing stuff than you do from completing those retarded quests), I usually suggest to new players that they go ahead and Skip the majority of those worthless little quests in Hommlet. They're a complete waste of time and they're not fun at all. You only need 2 things to advance to the *main* part of the game:

1) Someone to point you to the Moathouse, and then...

2) Someone to point you to the Temple.

You can skip everything else. Although the quests in Nulb are a bit better, and yield more loot and story. You *might* want to do some of those.

Yep. Fragarach will make you want to kill him if you're goody two-shoes,yet regretful if evil cause you end up with no awesome bonuses and a penalty   :yes:

As of Hommlet and the local quests,it's true - one should concentrate only on mentions of any new locations to be added on your map,and quests are not only a drag but a long one; takes a helluva lot of time to actually complete 'em.