"I think I'm gonna have to go on a KILL-ing spree"

If anybody remembers that quote, then hopefully you're hoping that Project Etenrity will have a fairly good amount of voices to choose from, with a large varity of quips like...

"Can I get you a Ladder, so you can GET OFF MY BACK!"

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

That certainly would be a nice feature to have, even though I'm afraid I don't recognise the first quote.

Incidentally, that is possibly the single most worrying thread title I've ever seen.

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

That certainly would be a nice feature to have, even though I'm afraid I don't recognise the first quote.

Incidentally, that is possibly the single most worrying thread title I've ever seen.

It's from Nwn or Icewind Dale, I think.

Edited by Oner

Voices with annoyed quotes usually got annoying after you heard them say the same damn "get of my back" for the millionth time.

I mean, I just clicking on the ground to go somewhere. I'd like the next noble voice to be less pissy.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I think the line is for an evil male character in Icewind Dale, perhaps IW2?

And yes, these lines tend to get annoying fast. For instance, perhaps the worst part of the great game Planescape Torment was that each time you clicked to move, you got like one out of two responses for the character EACH TIME, and those were really annoying.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The line was actually one of the lines for the voices on Baulders Gate 2.

I'm suprised no one got it.

But, I can also see why it can be considered annoying.  Personally though, I actully enjoy em, and don't really get annoyed with em, especially if they're done as easter eggs, or one off things.

Lines like the "ladder" one should be reserved for clicking on the same character a large number of times repeatedly. "Stop poking me, I am not an Orc!" and all that.

Agreed in concept. It'd be kinda cool, imo, if the "best" lines of this sort were a bit more hidden or situation based, rather than said every single time one clicks the ground, clicks the character or goes into combat etc. So they feel a bit more unique and less rote.

That said, I do like it when there are memorable/quotable NPC/chr lines, as a way to help define their personalities or something. But as much as I loved Minsc's "Go for the eyes Boo" line, for me at least, it was no longer quite as charming many combats/hours later. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lilarcor lines amirite?

Oh good god. I would rather break my eardrums with rusty knives than listen to that again. Don't me wrong, talking swords are awesome (I actually like Enserric the Grey from Hordes of the Underdark)... But Lilacor? Lilacor was a step too far. A step. Too. Far.

For quotes themselves... I think it depends on how the quote is delivered. I like witty one-liners as much as the next girl, but when they're delivered in a whiny, grating and almost intolerable voice? They wear on me quite quickly and I find myself wishing I had chosen a more mellow voice set. 'Course, that's just me. I'd rather hear them used sparingly and to full effect, as apposed to every other mouse-click.

Edited by Sylvanpyxie

any line repeated enough will become annoying. So short "uh-huh" "righto" and "yessir" "Sir!" like they did in commandos was pretty good.

no more

"You've left me an OPENING!"

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Here's a wild idea (coz even a voice-specific "Uh-huh" will possibly get on one's nerves, eventually):

What if the picked character's equipment made a distinct sound: A pally in plate mail sound like a clank, an elven archer emits the sound of a bow string getting stretched, an assassin has the ziiiing sound of a sharp blade being unsheathed and so forth - a bit like units make a sound in 4W/strategy games when you click on them.

EDIT: And wouldn't it be cool if you could change that equipment sound in options from a library of equipment sounds? And for those that still want "Yes, can do!" and "I'll be much obliged" etc can pick voice lines there as well or toggle that, you get my point.  :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

But as much as I loved Minsc's "Go for the eyes Boo" line, for me at least, it was no longer quite as charming many combats/hours later. :p

Epiphany time!

In Mass Effect 2 and 3, Tali's "Go for the optics, Chikktika!" is totally a tribute to Minsc.

I agree, though, that frequency is one of the problems. I think it's a combination of frequency and variation. I mean, even if they only say something every 10 minutes, if all you hear is that one line every time they speak, it gets reallllly old.

I think it would be cool if the majority of them were quite simple, and were actually dependent upon the situation. You know, things like "I'm not looking so good over here" when a character's been reduced below a certain amount of health, and/or taken a devastating blow, or "Stay on the move!" whenever someone sees that an enemy is casting some slow-yet-powerful AOE spell. Situational cues. But, I don't think they need to be fancy and personality-filled ever time, and they definitely don't need to be said every time a spell is cast, or every time a character is injured or knocked down or something. "Oh man, I guess I can't stay on my feet! Heh!" every 10 seconds... or "I fear this may be the end... Help me so it won't be!". Or "Looks like you're going to have some trouble standing pretty soon if you keep doing it in that same spot."

I think brief, useful cues would be good for a lot of the reactive callouts.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u