"Hey, you! Yes you, you wanna go to Mars?"

Osvir

Am I the only one who thinks that these threads should only be read while inebriated.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Haha! I just think this is an amazing project. Okay, yes, I should have explained much more what it is in OP but I just wanted to share it more or less.

This is Mars One, a real project to colonize Mars by 2023. They are going to start application this year 2013 (from all over the world, like the Armageddon movie except anyone can apply. Anyone, you, me, Josh, Carl Sagan, anyone). Okay, nearly everyone, mental or physical handicap and that'd be a no-go (or if you have a medical condition).

It just sounds very cool in my opinion, exploring our solar system for the win! :)

I started watching this (I saw some 5 minutes before I had to go to sleep, going to watch the entire thing later today), and it gives a general idea of the goal:

EDIT: This isn't a joke by the way, it's a real project idea. If it ever comes into fruition, that is another question, for now there's simply a concept of it. 

Edited by Osvir

it's a hoax.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure we'll know later.

What I do know, from peeking into one of the forums related to the Mars One company is that one of the Moderators (who I believe is linked to the Mars One company) is pretty much saying that "Yeah we'll sell this idea that anyone can do this but in reality it is 'Fat chance' bro. Just pay us already so we can send our qualified guys there".

EDIT: But I can't help but feel and see that video (still only seen about 5 minutes xD) and feel that there is a genuine thought for progress here. Exploring another planet, expanding our knowledge as a race and colonizing another planet. It sounds crazy in so many ways. I believe in peace so very naively and this to me sounds like something great, and they are actively thinking about creating peace. That is what is the selling point for me, regardless if it is a hoax or not.

Edited by Osvir

Mars certainly might be the one planet we'd be able to colonize in some fashion (for mining at least, perhaps), given the speed of travel issues and various other things. But I don't think I'd want to live there myself.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts