IDEAS NOT TO BE FORGOTTEN - poll

IDEAS NOT TO BE FORGOTTEN - poll  

85 members have voted

1. 1. which of these ideas you like?

• Sticking to a weapon will set off familiarity rewards and even quests over time
    • Magical items are very rare, gold is for consumables
    • Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affects NPCs differently
    • Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements
    • Temporary abstract armour degradation in combat, repairs are "automagical"
    • Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses
    • Armour and weaponry can get "enfeebled"/"fatigued" over time, easy repair
    • Give magical non-weapon items much more love
    • Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady
    • Magical artefacts for our houses and strongholds
  2. 2. continued....

• Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party
    • Nice UI for weather and temperature, including an adaptive fog of war
    • Flexible and intuitive spell effects that can be adjusted to fit encounters and environment
    • Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options
    • Quests/objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X goals
    • Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters
    • Guns can be used on certain doors and chests to open them

The replace the clumsy "l" system..here's a multi-option poll.

Indira, if you could copy-paste you list with links and/or more detailed descriptions, I'd be much oblidged.

Untill then, more info on each point cna be founf in the other thread.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Okay, the "Ideas not to be forgotten"-thread is here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63295-ideas-not-to-be-forgotten/

Sure, here they are, but new great ideas will trickle in all the time, so there will be a need for that kind of system anyhow:

-Magical items are very rare, gold is for consumables

link: llll

-Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affects NPCs differently

link: lll

-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements

link: lllll

-Temporary abstract armour degradation in combat, repairs are "automagical"

-Armour and weaponry can get "enfeebled"/"fatigued" over time, easy repair

link: ll

-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses

link: lllll

-Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady

-Give magical non-weapon items much more love

-Magical artefacts for our houses and strongholds

-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party

-Nice UI for weather and temperature, including an adaptive fog of war

-Guns can be used on certain doors and chests to open them

-Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals

-Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options

-Flexible and intuitive spell effects that can be adjusted to fit encounters and environment

-Sticking to a weapon will set off familiarity rewards and even quests over time

Also, it seems your poll is missing a few of the great ideas we've gathered so far.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

^Which is why Indira's idea is better than a poll Trashman. Its going to expand.

EDIT: Why this is better though, is that more people vote on polls than write I think. 

2nd. Did you add L's based on what was voted on here Indira? Because there's a big chance you're getting doubles (if I vote on this, would you include that and include from your thread as well? Doubles).

3rd. http://en.support.wordpress.com/polls/ might be interesting to look into if possible to Edit and Expand Poll Options?

Edited by Osvir

I propose that whenever we have 10 more ideas, we make a new poll?

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

@Indira perhaps could link to each poll in the "Ideas not to be forgotten" thread?

[Poll 1:] and group the ones that are in this poll.

[Poll 2:] which isn't finished yet but start adding those that don't fit in the first one into this one~ Idk

I really hope for the exclusion of this one:

Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options

I hate being told in what manner I mean something when I choose an option. This is role-playing, is it not? I don't get to choose how a person responds, but I do get to choose how I intend my comment. There are countless conflicts and disconnects between me and the played-character when a game forces an intention of remark on me. Absolutely hate it to the core.

• Like 1

Delicieuxz: The import point, I reckon, is that one and a single line in a dialogue list/tree can be used. It would be a really economic way to make dialogue options in the game. Such lines would be accompanied by some icons/symbols that make it possible for you to use skills and such, or even lie: 

For instance: "I really need that charm." [Lie] [Threaten] [Convince through diplomatic skill], etc, but think icons instead.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Delicieuxz: The import point, I reckon, is that one and a single line in a dialogue list/tree can be used. It would be a really economic way to make dialogue options in the game. Such lines would be accompanied by some icons/symbols that make it possible for you to use skills and such, or even lie: 

For instance: "I really need that charm." [Lie] [Threaten] [Convince through diplomatic skill], etc, but think icons instead.

Oh, well that I like. I was interpreting "tones" in the likeness of certain games which suggest a positive/neutral/negative remark, or which give only black/white choices. I was testing a certain game recently that, at least in its early form, splits the dialog into such spelled out designations. Mass Effect is another game which likes to split things into good/neutral/bad, and that's just so unappealing, boring, and unnatural. But Lie/Threaten/Convince are very desirable.

I really hope for the exclusion of this one:

Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options

I hate being told in what manner I mean something when I choose an option. This is role-playing, is it not? I don't get to choose how a person responds, but I do get to choose how I intend my comment. There are countless conflicts and disconnects between me and the played-character when a game forces an intention of remark on me. Absolutely hate it to the core.

then don't vote for it, and put your objections in the relevant thread where they can be discussed.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

^Which is why Indira's idea is better than a poll Trashman. Its going to expand.

EDIT: Why this is better though, is that more people vote on polls than write I think. 

2nd. Did you add L's based on what was voted on here Indira? Because there's a big chance you're getting doubles (if I vote on this, would you include that and include from your thread as well? Doubles).

3rd. http://en.support.wordpress.com/polls/ might be interesting to look into if possible to Edit and Expand Poll Options?

Yeah, I can edit the poll.

A total of 3 questions with 10 answers each is possible (so 30 ideas)

For more than that a new poll?

It's good that you can edit it, and 30 great ideas and then a new poll is viable. Go ahead! I will always keep the old thread as it is a good format for collecting it all and keept that important process going.

Oh, well that I like. I was interpreting "tones" in the likeness of certain games which suggest a positive/neutral/negative remark, or which give only black/white choices.

Heh. Also, the wording of that specific poll option doesn't intuitively convey that the tones/skill attempts are choosable alongside the actual dialogue options. It only suggests that they're indicated, which could've easily led to the confusion. 8P

@NerdBoner... You apologize to this thread, RIGHT now! Honestly! u_u. Bumping into things without apologizing. The nerve... 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Interestingly, those ideas that concern quests and magical items seem to be the most popular at the moment!

And ideas on loot hauling and armour degrading are the least popular.

Keep voting, folks!  :)

Smithereen: Yes, time limits should be implemented when they would be appropriate, and failure should affect your (faction) reputation.

Hurr...made a new thread about weapon familiarity:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63375-weapon-familiarity-normal-weapons-and-weapon-upgrades/

Discuss till your hearts content.

Anotehr thought: plate armor requires fitting (blacksmith) before it can be used effectively?

EDIT:

Aaaand.. I can't edit the poll.

Lovely.

I guess we will have to make new threads/polls once we gather enough ideas.

I'd reccomened a 10/20/30 treshold, as that's the limit a poll has anyway

Edited by TrashMan

I voted for the ones I specifically like more, the rest I'm somewhat indifferent except for one I dislike: "Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options". 

I don't want to know which skills/attributes are affecting my dialogue! I want it to be exactly like FO/PS:T(and Arcanum/BG if I remember correctly). I am not opposed to having an option to toggle this on/off in gameplay options.

I voted for the ones I specifically like more, the rest I'm somewhat indifferent except for one I dislike: "Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options". 

I don't want to know which skills/attributes are affecting my dialogue! I want it to be exactly like FO/PS:T(and Arcanum/BG if I remember correctly). I am not opposed to having an option to toggle this on/off in gameplay options.

have you even read the suggestion? I think it may not mean what you think it means.

---

I don't really care for any of the above, so I'll just repeat my own ideas:

• Make class abilities mostly stackable, so it won't be a waste to have 2 or 3 of the same class in the party: If that means making them mostly offensive, so be it
  • Make some skills truly powerful and epic (like Alchemy) even if that means raising the associated costs (balance issue)
  • Make gold sparse, but create a few good money sinks if players do acquire a surplus
  • Allow basic item crafting (ammo, potions) but leave epic items to NPC blacksmiths. Maybe allow for casters to imbue/ enchant items temporarily
  • Connect the two cities in some way, don't make one of them obsolete later on
  • Bind the megadungeon into the surrounding countryside, with quests etc. Make it part of the main plot, even if only levels 1-4
  • Implement buffs in a way that high level casters can't cast them all the time (when they have them on cooldowns); i.e. make buffs high level spells only, or have drawbacks (like being fatigued after Haste)
Edited by Sacred_Path

"Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters"

What does **** like that even mean? You may as well just say "make the game interesting."

there's links to the relevant threads.

---