So the path to the future is open, but be prepared you who deny the

Eternal Glory of Elf-Mages! Your path will not be kind to you.

Nah. I could name a few builds which do not rely on magic anyhow but kick major ass. Not to mention you can do a pacifist run, although that would require some meta knowledge (but what game does't). The game is unbalanced, but not in a way that only mages are powerful, although they are the most powerful out-of-the-box.

Also, people seem to have some unnatural predisposition towards classes even when they are playing completely classless game. Nothing's wrong with playing a fighter who uses Temporal to speed himself into slashing machine, or thief with gadgets, or gunslinger who casts Entangle spell on his targets, or any other hybrid, really.

Edited by Shadenuat

I love the fact he loathes elves. L0L

Still, he is shameful in the way he approaches RPGs as a player. At least the way he plays Arcanum it is clear he doesn't take it seriously at all. Which, in some ways, is a good thing in terms of getting L0LS out of this.

Then again, I absically watched all 50min+ of it so I guess I got soemthing out of it. L0L

P.S. Why wans't this update sent to mah email like the others? :(

The e-mail updates went out late for some reason last night, but hopefully you've gotten them now? :(

Please improve the video quality. I've been doing Let's Plays of Infinity Engine games for a long time and my videos have the best quality on Youtube. It's not complicated and doesn't require much time. Here is how I do it:

- In Fraps, check the "Force Lossless RGB" box - this helps with red text on dark background

- Download and install the following tools, in that order:

1. Virtual Dub http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

2. x264vfw http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

3. Lame ACM MP3 codec http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Lame-MP3

Wow Zeckul, thank you! I'll pass that along to Adam and Chris for our next update!

• Like 2

Please improve the video quality. I've been doing Let's Plays of Infinity Engine games for a long time and my videos have the best quality on Youtube. It's not complicated and doesn't require much time. Here is how I do it:

- In Fraps, check the "Force Lossless RGB" box - this helps with red text on dark background

- Download and install the following tools, in that order:

1. Virtual Dub http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

2. x264vfw http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

3. Lame ACM MP3 codec http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Lame-MP3

Wow Zeckul, thank you! I'll pass that along to Adam and Chris for our next update!

I wrote that at work without the actual tools in front of me, so I got some of the names wrong. Let me give this properly:

- Fraps: under the FPS tab, select "Hide overlay" so we don't see the frame rate marker on the video

- Fraps: under the Movies tab, check "Force lossless RGB capture"

- Virtual Dub: in the "Video" menu, select "Full processing mode". Do the same in the "Audio" menu.

- Virtual Dub: in the "Video" menu, select "Compression...". In the list that appears, select x264vfw, and click "Configure". In the x264vfw configuration dialog that appears, under "Rate control", select "Single pass - ratefactor-based (CRF)". In the box below it, type 22. Click Ok and Ok again.

- Virtual Dub: in the "Video" menu, select "Filters...", click "Add...", select "Resize", click "Ok". A configuration dialog appears, select "Relative" and put at least 200 there (same number for width and height). In the "Filter mode" drop-down select one of the "Precise bicubic" modes or "Lanczos3". Click Ok and OK again.

- Virtual Dub: in the "Audio" menu select "Compression...". In the dialog that appears, select "Lame MP3" and 320kbps CRB Stereo. Click OK.

- Hit CTRL+MAJ+F7 to queue the rendering operation.

- Hit F4 to view the Job Control window, the rendering operation will be there, click Start.

Profit.

• Like 1

- Virtual Dub: in the "Video" menu, select "Compression...". In the list that appears, select x264vfw, and click "Configure". In the x264vfw configuration dialog that appears, under "Rate control", select "Single pass - ratefactor-based (CRF)". In the box below it, type 22. Click Ok and Ok again.

VirtualDub is great for simple gaming videos. Still use it myself.

Do you happen to know if the x264vfw compression result in a smaller file size respective to quality than Xvid? Does YouTube like it better?

I've always used the xVid-mpeg4 codec for game/YT stuff because I'm used to it and it doesn't have any listed limitations...never bothered to figure out what settings would give similar results with the other codecs available in my VDub list.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Do you happen to know if the x264vfw compression result in a smaller file size respective to quality than Xvid? Does YouTube like it better?

I've always used the xVid-mpeg4 codec for game/YT stuff because I'm used to it and it doesn't have any listed limitations...never bothered to figure out what settings would give similar results with the other codecs available in my VDub list.

x264 is preferred via youtube for compression to quality ratio. 

A quick loot courtesan tip, you're missing a small amount of loot by not taking everything from enemies bodies (the Kite Shaman's sword etcetera,) to do so either switch manually to their paper doll or just press the big red arrow take all button.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

x264 is preferred via youtube for compression to quality ratio.

XVid works/looks fine most of the time, but with long videos (15+ minutes) the amount of compression I tend to need to keep the file size smaller so I don't have to upload 500+MB doesn't work well with YouTube I guess. Or something, I'm no codec expert. If I ever get into doing a lot of vids for a game again, I might try the other.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In theory, yes, x264 is way better than any xvid encoder. I haven't personally tested, I just go for the best. :p

The next time Obsidian does a kickstarter, I know what one of the stretch goals is going to be:

$ 10,000,000

Chris Avellone will dress up as an elf, pointy ears and silly costume and all, and sing one of those high-pitched elvish songs from the LotR soundtrack.

• Like 8

I think it's one of the strengths of these old games that they don't force you to listen to the dialogue if you don't want to. My instinct wouldn't be to pace the subtitles with dialogue because some players read ahead, just let the player choose what they want to do.

It seems that developers somehow forgot about this. It is also a matter of production costs, I think.

Although I love MCA as much as the next fan-boy, I don't much care for Arcanum and would like to see an actual update.

I personally think we have been spoilt with weekly updates. You can also see it this way: There might be things from Arcanum that could be implemented in Eternity. It's only a few days 'till the next update anyway! :p

I'm really enjoying Avellone's commentary. However, I don't remember the UI being that hard to learn. Maybe he should play around a little and learn the UI before the next update?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Although I love MCA as much as the next fan-boy, I don't much care for Arcanum and would like to see an actual update.

I personally think we have been spoilt with weekly updates. You can also see it this way: There might be things from Arcanum that could be implemented in Eternity. It's only a few days 'till the next update anyway! :p

Weekly updates are certainly a higher frequency than I was expecting...so I'm fine with them using one, once in a while, to showcase something else besides game development. I'm not really into Arcanum myself, but I think it's fun to listen to the commentary anyway. :)

• Like 2

I too am fine with them taking a bit off of the regular updates, it leads to less filler updates so they can gather some really good stuff to show when they do show it.

Once a week really is a hard pace to keep up, and I'd be perfectly happy if every second week Avellone's Arcanum LP replaces a regular update.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I too am fine with them taking a bit off of the regular updates, it leads to less filler updates so they can gather some really good stuff to show when they do show it.

Once a week really is a hard pace to keep up, and I'd be perfectly happy if every second week Avellone's Arcanum LP replaces a regular update.

This LP will not have any effect on future updates according to Avellone's twitter. It will be its own thing.

Fan-service update, totally okay with it. Not gonna watch this as I haven't finished Arcanum (don't want spoilers, haha I died to wolves too). Watched a lil bit, sounds like it's going to be fun :)

Edited by Osvir