Chris Avellone

Got to tear into Arcanum today in the first of our Let’s Play videos – for all the supporters that were willing to pitch in to see the gameplay footage,
. I wanted thank everyone that were willing to up their donation to make it happen, and I also wanted to thank RPG Codex for sending me a copy of Arcanum in the first place from GOG.com.

Currently I’m playing it without any fan patches, I want to play the release version. Part of me wants to contrast and compare if I do a second modded version (probably doing a tech-focused run). If that ends up being problematic, I’ll add the mods and then do a rush playthrough to get back to the point I was at so you guys don’t have to sit through the second playthrough. Well, unless you want.

Feel free to post suggestions for how you’d like me to play it on our forums or in YouTube's comments for the video – for right now, I’m just playing it as I would normally, which makes it a lot more relaxed. Hopefully, my in-game reactions and critiques should be enough if you’re interested on my RPG takes on any elements in the title.

If you have any questions about how I felt about certain elements (aside from Virgil’s sass), feel free to drop me a tweet at @ChrisAvellone and I’ll do what I can!

Many thanks to Adam Brennecke, our Executive Producer, Carter Thomas, our production intern, and Justin Bell and Austin Shannon, our audio duo, for getting me all set up and good to you, and to all of you backers for making this happen in the first place. This is a rare opportunity for me, and one that I certainly appreciate – thanks.
  • Like 10

Well, I was really hoping to get a "real" update, but that's also okay. Will watch now! Yay :D

__

"And all the Elves got a big no for me, so screw those guys." - Chris Avellone

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

Everything was great, except the low resolution. Very hard to make out the text. Luckily MCA's narrating gave some context.

As for the game itself: I love Virgil, what a silly man. :D

• Like 2

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

I love the fact he loathes elves. L0L

Still, he is shameful in the way he approaches RPGs as a player. At least the way he plays Arcanum it is clear he doesn't take it seriously at all. Which, in some ways, is a good thing in terms of getting L0LS out of this.

Then again, I absically watched all 50min+ of it so I guess I got soemthing out of it. L0L

P.S. Why wans't this update sent to mah email like the others? :(

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I din't get in the mail either! Hmm...

And yea, the resolution makes text in need of a Rosetta stone to interpret, but he's goofing a bit certainly comes from the pressure of an audience too, no?

Anyways, this was an anticipated news, so thanks OEI!  :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

My most memorable playthrough of of Arcanum was my third (the first was blind, the second trying to get the most optimal of outcomes with all the knowledge I had from beforehand) where I roleplayed as a haughty walking techbane elf pure mage who was quite racist, though not one from any genuine malice or spite but because of her upbringing (you know the type, the one that constantly defends him or herself saying: "Don't get me wrong. I've got plenty of orc friends and they're all very pleasant!"). Basically, Princess Clara from Drawn Together. Needless to say, she got herself in her fair share of scuffles due to that mouth of hers.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

lets play in 360p? really? You should upload sound only then

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

"madam? I will cut you."

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

From this video one can see most of the UI problems that Arcanum has, but when you get past them game gets more entertaining.

In end of the video when Chris's characters gets a level, but he don't react in it anyway, it makes me want to yell hey you got a level :).

From this video one can see most of the UI problems that Arcanum has, but when you get past them game gets more entertaining.

In end of the video when Chris's characters gets a level, but he don't react in it anyway, it makes me want to yell hey you got a level :).

hehe, same here. ^^

HD would be nice,but its fun to watch.