Uncle Feargus talks working on Fallout again

WorstUsernameEver

From Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

“We talk to Bethesda all the time,” he said. “And I think the challenge here doesn’t just apply to Bethesda specifically, but to a lot of publishers in general. But basically, what does all the [current] console crap mean? The challenge in this period of time has been, you have this console transition, and it’s strange that they’re still not announced. But that always creates a disruption in the industry. And now you mix in [the emergence of] mobile and F2P stuff, and it’s left a lot of people reeling.”

“So that’s a lot of the conversation we’ve had with publishers. ‘OK, how do we get back to normal – whatever normal is going to be.’ That’s just the process right now.”

Meanwhile, I also managed to pull Bethesda’s Todd Howard aside and get his two cents, which basically amounted to a reiteration of Urquhart’s sentiment. Nothing’s set in stone, but New Vegas was great, and having another go at it certainly makes an awful lot of sense. So, right then, fingers crossed. Extra radiation-borne ones too, if you’ve got ‘em.

He also mentions some rather interesting "this almost sounds like a pitch" ideas, so head over to the article if you want to read them.

I'm kind of worried.

“So that’s a lot of the conversation we’ve had with publishers. ‘OK,
how do we get back to normal – whatever normal is going to be.’ That’s
just the process right now.”

I felt as if Obsidian is in serious need of new contracts during and immediatly after this transition time, so Feargus began "leaking" these promising pitches to generate some heat?

Known pitches:

Might&Magic RPG for Ubisoft

Star Wars Galactic Empire for Disney

Fallout/TES spinoffs for Bethesda

??? for Warner Bros

Well, at least they still got one undisclosed games in development.

I do not really know what to think.

First, I consider that are great news, because I really enjoyed New Vegas, and I am a bit curious what would happen after this story, especially if we can import saves from New Vegas (I really loved the "true neutral" ending I got).

But, I have to admit that I am a bit afraid of what could happen, considering the video game. Let me explain: I dislike Steam and its DRM system even if it will go under Unix systems. I know it is not a big problem for some people, and it should be a better system to get updates and fixes, but I do not want to manage a game account (i dislike cloud gaming in fact). Do not get me wrong: I always buy big boxes/collectors as I did for the NWN2 LG/CE editions, the FNV big box and even the Bethesda's F3 lunch box. I am not afraid to pay a little more expensive version of the game to have something I can hold in my hands (no jokes please!) or to help the development as I did for PE. Some people want to have a cloud gaming account? I do not want to prevent them to have it. But I was really disappointed to see that I had to create a steam account to play FNV. I know F3 had Games for Windows Live DRM, and Skyrim now uses Steam too, so I think that a new Fallout game will.

Now I am a new Linux user, I am stuck, since Linux compatibilty is not a priority for Bethesda games. Maybe Steam Linux will give the opportunity to have new Fallout games on this OS, but again, I am stuck.

It is not a Steam troll (as I said, if some people want to use it, ok; but, I do not want to be forced to use it if I do not want to), and I know that if Obsidian can make another Fallout game, they could not change this, if Bethesda decide that it will be. I just wanted to say my dilemma, and I do not think I am the only one in this case.

I felt as if Obsidian is in serious need of new contracts during and immediatly after this transition time, so Feargus began "leaking" these promising pitches to generate some heat?

We really know too little to say that Obsidian is in trouble but what's surprising is that New Vegas 2 pitch is happening right now.

There is no way Bethesda will outsource another spin-off until Fallout 4 is done with DLCs somewhere around 2015.

@ Huinehtar

Firstly, "cloud gaming" is something else than you think it is. It's streaming games through services like Gaikai or OnLive.

But I understand what you mean...however! I think DRM or distribution platform is not up to the developer. Also, I doubt that ditching any kind of DRM would help the game to get ported to Linux. Specifically, in case of a Gamebryo 1.5 (Creation engine), I don't see that happening... :(

I have the same issue, but it's for Origin games instead. What I do is that I use the only power I have to express my distaste of this service - I (don't) use my wallet and I don't buy the games that are only on Origin :) .

As for me, I would -really- like to see new Fallout on Steam, mainly because of Workshop and the game hub in general... but again, it's not up to the dev (unless the dev is also a publisher :D )

@ Aoyagi

Sorry for my mistake about Cloud gaming, and thanks for pointing that out :)

I understand that the dev have no choice concerning this (and right, about the dev/publisher ;)), I have just a little hope that Obsidian could discuss it with Bethesda, so it could change! I do not want to go to the extreme situation that you point about Origin. :(

I know that the Workshop is a nice idea, but I like better the Unity idea (yes, it is a bit early to say that), because from what I understand (I might be wrong) a mod could be applied on a game using Unity, whatever is the platform used by the gamers. That would be very interesting for PE, for example, no matter OS which uses a modder, all the community could enjoy his mod. And since Fallout games are multiplaform, with a model like Unity, console gamers could enjoy PC mods, and vice versa (even if it would be difficult for a single modder to mod a console game :D ), not only Steam users. Obviously, Bethesda will keep their engine, so we already know the answer. But may I dream? ;-)

I do not really know what to think.

First, I consider that are great news, because I really enjoyed New Vegas, and I am a bit curious what would happen after this story, especially if we can import saves from New Vegas (I really loved the "true neutral" ending I got).

But, I have to admit that I am a bit afraid of what could happen, considering the video game. Let me explain: I dislike Steam and its DRM system even if it will go under Unix systems. I know it is not a big problem for some people, and it should be a better system to get updates and fixes, but I do not want to manage a game account (i dislike cloud gaming in fact). Do not get me wrong: I always buy big boxes/collectors as I did for the NWN2 LG/CE editions, the FNV big box and even the Bethesda's F3 lunch box. I am not afraid to pay a little more expensive version of the game to have something I can hold in my hands (no jokes please!) or to help the development as I did for PE. Some people want to have a cloud gaming account? I do not want to prevent them to have it. But I was really disappointed to see that I had to create a steam account to play FNV. I know F3 had Games for Windows Live DRM, and Skyrim now uses Steam too, so I think that a new Fallout game will.

Now I am a new Linux user, I am stuck, since Linux compatibilty is not a priority for Bethesda games. Maybe Steam Linux will give the opportunity to have new Fallout games on this OS, but again, I am stuck.

It is not a Steam troll (as I said, if some people want to use it, ok; but, I do not want to be forced to use it if I do not want to), and I know that if Obsidian can make another Fallout game, they could not change this, if Bethesda decide that it will be. I just wanted to say my dilemma, and I do not think I am the only one in this case.

There's no "true neutral" ending to NV. None of the endings fall objectively or cleanly into D&D morality matrix categories. And NV has no post-game saves, importing wouldn't be plausible.

More to the point, it's essentially a given that further PC releases will use the Steam API, unless Zenimax decides they want to get into the business of digital distribution/DRM, too. Zenimax/Bethesda is a big AAA publisher, and AAA publishers love DRM, and the Steam API is just about the least offensive out there. There's not a lot to complain about, especially compared to GFWL. You can run Steam in offline mode, anyway. Being afraid of the status quo isn't going to get you anywhere.

@ Aoyagi

Sorry for my mistake about Cloud gaming, and thanks for pointing that out :)

I understand that the dev have no choice concerning this (and right, about the dev/publisher ;)), I have just a little hope that Obsidian could discuss it with Bethesda, so it could change! I do not want to go to the extreme situation that you point about Origin. :(

I know that the Workshop is a nice idea, but I like better the Unity idea (yes, it is a bit early to say that), because from what I understand (I might be wrong) a mod could be applied on a game using Unity, whatever is the platform used by the gamers. That would be very interesting for PE, for example, no matter OS which uses a modder, all the community could enjoy his mod. And since Fallout games are multiplaform, with a model like Unity, console gamers could enjoy PC mods, and vice versa (even if it would be difficult for a single modder to mod a console game :D ), not only Steam users. Obviously, Bethesda will keep their engine, so we already know the answer. But may I dream? ;-)

I don't forsee any AAA publishers looking to turn to a browser/tablet-oriented engine any time soon. Edited by AGX-17

There's no "true neutral" ending to NV. None of the endings fall objectively or cleanly into D&D morality matrix categories.

Of course, I know. I did not want to precise all elements in the ending I obtained, and did not want to spoil to people, who have not already finished the game, but are interested by the news.

And NV has no post-game saves, importing wouldn't be plausible.

Sure that a little patch could be done to make this happen.

More to the point, it's essentially a given that further PC releases will use the Steam API, unless Zenimax decides they want to get into the business of digital distribution/DRM, too. Zenimax/Bethesda is a big AAA publisher, and AAA publishers love DRM, and the Steam API is just about the least offensive out there. There's not a lot to complain about, especially compared to GFWL. You can run Steam in offline mode, anyway. Being afraid of the status quo isn't going to get you anywhere.

So, even if CDProjekt Red is not a big AAA publisher, but considering The Witcher series are now AAA games, all they do against DRM is meaningless?

Obviously, Bethesda will keep their engine, so we already know the answer.

I don't forsee any AAA publishers looking to turn to a browser/tablet-oriented engine any time soon.

Considering Bethesda, I already said that. Any AAA publishers any time soon? Look at some AAA publishers like Square-Enix: new browser games, new mobile games. They have already turned into this new gaming model, of course they are using their home-made engines. I don't think AAA publishers will stay outside this model for a very long time.

Honestly, I do not consider Unity as a browser/tablet-oriented. Again, I might be wrong. But when I see Kickstarter's big projects using Unity, I do not see many of them, made only for browser/tablet (or mainly). But most of them PC/Mac multiplatform.

I didn't say that AAA publishers would have to use Unity, but a multiplatform engine like Unity. Certainly home-made.

Edited by Huinehtar

"None of the endings fall objectively or cleanly into D&D morality matrix categories."

False. Siding with a certain someone is surely chaotic evil. No doubt about it. You'd have to be insanely evil to side with him.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Is it possible the maybe-Fallout: Lost Angels would be a prequel to New Vegas, maybe taking place in the interim between Fallout 1 and 2? From what I remember, the Boneyard should be pretty deep in NCR territory, so one would imagine that it wouldn't make as interesting of a setting as the Wild West of the Mojave (unless it involves mutated South Central gang-banger ghouls rising from the depths).

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

New Fallout? YES! Done by Obsidian? YES! FPS/Oblivion style again? HELL NO!

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I don't think that's up to them. Besides, I don't see anything bad about first-person camera Fallout. We're going to have Wasteland 2 for isometric postapo (even though not taking place in the awesome Fallout universe). Besides, any Fallout by Obsidian will most likely be better than anything Bethesda could ever come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that's up to them. Besides, I don't see anything bad about first-person camera Fallout. We're going to have Wasteland 2 for isometric postapo (even though not taking place in the awesome Fallout universe). Besides, any Fallout by Obsidian will most likely be better than anything Bethesda could ever come up with.

Problem with Wasteland is that its not RPG but more like Jagged aliance, tactical squad turn based action game set in post-apo world. And well first person view is IMO horrible for RPGs as player can't see progress of his characters under command and greatly limit some classical RPG elements (AoE tageting, player can control only one character, minimal tactical overview. too fast paced combat  etc.) But I know there is a lot of people who likes it. I can't do anything about that. It was only MY opinion that First Person view is bad, I am perfeclty fine if you like it.

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Problem with Wasteland is that its not RPG but more like Jagged aliance, tactical squad turn based action game set in post-apo world.

What? Neither of the games really fits that definition.

Like really? ok JA is not post-apo but rest? both are tunr based, both are tactical squad game. What is not fitting in this description?  Or are you trying to be smart**s here?

Wasteland 2 is striving to be an RPG, not a tactical combat sim.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Wasteland 2 is striving to be an RPG, not a tactical combat sim.

From what I seen it looks much more like Fallout Tactics, but I see that you can use some options for conversation. Still not RPG enough for me (I am not telling it would be bad game tho)

Like really? ok JA is not post-apo but rest? both are tunr based, both are tactical squad game. What is not fitting in this description?  Or are you trying to be smart**s here?

I... again, what? Aside from the fact that the original Wasteland had blob-like combat (think The Bard's Tale but with guns) and put a heavy emphasis on skill usage (it's where Fallout took it, after all), do you seriously consider these two criteria:

1) it's turn-based;

2) you use a party;

as enough to say a game is striving to be more like Jagged Alliance rather than an RPG? If so, why?

I... again, what? Aside from the fact that the original Wasteland had blob-like combat (think The Bard's Tale but with guns) and put a heavy emphasis on skill usage (it's where Fallout took it, after all), do you seriously consider these two criteria:

1) it's turn-based;

2) you use a party;

as enough to say a game is striving to be more like Jagged Alliance rather than an RPG? If so, why?

No problem is with lack of conversation options, no social skills, minimal amount of 'Quests', High emphasis on combat etc. I dont know about what we are arguing here. For me its not RPG enough. You can have different view. And well, its like, your, opinion, man.

I have no idea where you got "lack of conversation options", "no social skills" and "minimal amount of quests".

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

No problem is with lack of conversation options, no social skills, minimal amount of 'Quests', High emphasis on combat etc. I dont know about what we are arguing here. For me its not RPG enough. You can have different view. And well, its like, your, opinion, man.

I'm going to assume you only saw the video walkthrough and didn't follow the updates at all? The game has social skills, they've waxed nostalgic on old school quest design (and offered a couple of examples from the game), and there is certainly more of an emphasis on questing than on combat for combat's sake.