A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

I am sorry if it has been already discussed but I am new.

DID YOU HIRE VOICE ACTING FOR EVERY TEXT????????

This is 2013 and you almost reached 4 million$. I think you can hire voice actors for everything! It is much more important then another quest or another dungeon level.

No, they did not and are not. They've been pretty clear there isn't going to be full voice-acting in PE. Which I think is fine, personally.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My spider senses tingle... I think we have a troll nearby...

4mln$ is not a lot of money from a game dev. perspective (especially when you have to deduct the commissions), when you want to make a complex, high quality content... Full VO would be a waste of money in this budget.

Ugh, it's an animated zombie tumor.

I feel nauseated just looking at it. Or maybe that's the flu I was getting over...

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I am sorry if it has been already discussed but I am new.

DID YOU HIRE VOICE ACTING FOR EVERY TEXT????????

This is 2013 and you almost reached 4 million$. I think you can hire voice actors for everything! It is much more important then another quest or another dungeon level.

cR0MSYE.jpg Edited by AGX-17

I also want it to be first person view and no party members. Oh, and please, for the love of everything that is holy, make sure it is as linear as possible. I also want explosive barrels. Don't forget that I expect a sequel every year with multiplayer.

the only trolls I see is you people

in anycase, for some downers, like me, it's more important to have more voice acting, then another stupid dungeon, or another quest. I prefer quality over quantity, and the more voice acting there, the more quality a game has. It's quite tedious and annoying to read countless of text, expecially when i am going to expect lots of texts, and well written ones, exactly beacuse the developers have time to do it and are not bound by a deadline. 

and we will raise our voice and you will not shut us up with your irrelevent arguments.

good day

There is no need to make assumptions about my taste. It's suffice to point that I adored and grew up on BG2:SOA and Icewindale to understand why I donated money to this project.

Back to my point I will add again, I will state my mind and the patronizing of some people here should be kept to themselves.

And now to the only person who actually made a civil argument: Conjurer: I think that you are wrong. There are plenty of voice actors who are fair enough to hire at a normal cost that won't jeopardize this project's budget. I'm not looking for Hollywood actors. So It's quite fair to expect voicing from ad least the main NPC's and main characters in the game, ad least most of the time.

One quality voice actor costs about 100.000 $ for a game. So yeah they can hire like 40 of them for the entire budget.

Depends on the amount of lines, which depends on the amount of text, which means games like the ie era rpgs would cost s***-tons more monies. If not just for the content, then for the amount of companions, important npcs and narrative.

So no musebreaks, its not gonna happen.

Edited by Gyges

There is no need to make assumptions about my taste. It's suffice to point that I adored and grew up on BG2:SOA and Icewindale to understand why I donated money to this project.

Back to my point I will add again, I will state my mind and the patronizing of some people here should be kept to themselves.

And now to the only person who actually made a civil argument: Conjurer: I think that you are wrong. There are plenty of voice actors who are fair enough to hire at a normal cost that won't jeopardize this project's budget. I'm not looking for Hollywood actors. So It's quite fair to expect voicing from ad least the main NPC's and main characters in the game, ad least most of the time.

More voice acting, especially voicing everything, would simply mean less money for everything else. I like voice acting in my games, but it depends on wich game. As I understand it important characters and moments in the game will be voiced, and that is all I need.

Conjurer: I think that you are wrong. There are plenty of voice actors who are fair enough to hire at a normal cost that won't jeopardize this project's budget. I'm not looking for Hollywood actors. So It's quite fair to expect voicing from ad least the main NPC's and main characters in the game, ad least most of the time.

More voice acting, especially voicing everything, would simply mean less money for everything else. I like voice acting in my games, but it depends on wich game. As I understand it important characters and moments in the game will be voiced, and that is all I need.

There was a past discussion about the possibility of creating a mod to include amateur voice acting, but that would likely depend on the developers including that capability in the game.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Voice acting is one of those things that after a certain point you get diminishing returns on.  

If you start with having all your companions voiced, thats reasonable enough.

If you then have the most important non-companion NPCs voiced, thats fairly sensible.

If you have all the major bosses voiced, thats also good.

Realistically, that probably amounts to 8 characters, 10ish characters and 15ish characters respectively.  So a total of 33 characters for the sake of arguement.  Some can be doubled up and have voice actors do various characters to save a bit of money, but after that it really is diminishing returns.  Having say, all the sub bosses voiced might be one option say, but equally you could spend that money elsewhere in production, and it gets to the point where you are saying, which of these would you rather have:

a) All the merchants voiced

b) An extra interesting dungeon

c) 10 new monster types 

d) Some extra bits of music

e) An extra interesting sidequest

Personally, of those, the merchants being voiced would rank the lowest because it doesn't expand the world in any meaningful way.  Not to say I'm fundementally against merchants being voiced, but the returns on that as a feature are virtually nil compared to the others.  

• Like 1

Dude, this topic was killed several times over already. OP, do a search, and properly try to read.

Here, I'll help you out with one of the threads: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62601-dialog-mostly-voiced/

PE isn't for you. :) You're better off playing... any other mindless game out there. I suggest looking at Bioware's current stuff.

It's not just about money.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

While I realize the "not sure if trolling" tends to sort of be a standard cynical response to certain types of questions these days, maybe next time we could give a little benefit of doubt a try, first?

Thread closed at OP's request.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts