Modern RPG Critique Video

Luridis

One of the best modern RPG breakdowns I have ever seen. He does a good job of dodging the Computer vs Console debate and goes right after the issue of trading fans for player$. Sadly, I think he's right and that things like TES & IE games are a thing of the past, unless we, as avid RPGers, keep the crowdsourcing initiative alive. (Well, he didn't say that exactly but it is the logical conclusion.)

BTW: I think the industry could really do well by redefining the term casual gamer. Right now, it includes far too many people: children, soccer parents, people who play only in a social setting and low hours players. A person who plays a game more slowly, and puts in few hours per sitting may indeed play casually, but still might not want the challenge of the game reduced to the mental faculties of the average 9 year old.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Eh

Do think the faults in Bethesda games could be pointed out a lot better.

Also, personal preference, the constant comparison of casual gamers = little kids just got me annoyed. But then again, I'm annoyed at the comparison in general. There's plenty of kids that find there way into more complex games and end up liking them and 18+ year olds that complain about not having their hand being hold.

Edited by C2B

I think that's the first time I've heard the morrowind convo system praised.

The item value beef is definitely something I share. I actually stopped looting chests in skyrim because there was never anything worth looting

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The guy who's narrating that video has the most marvelous, snarky sounding voice. :lol:

Haven't watched the whole thing, have to run out, but I'll finish it later.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

/looks at length of video

Can someone throw up a quick tl;dw summary for a lazy guy?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Also, personal preference, the constant comparison of casual gamers = little kids just got me annoyed.

I get the feeling the picture was less a specific "casual gamers = physically young kids" as it is a conceptualized, snark reference of mentality maturity. Either way, it is a bit annoying. He could have at least used different pictures each time. ;)

The video lists these as the main points: (text in parenthesis is my own)

1 - You can't fail (can't kill quest npc's and other such stuff)

2 - No consequences for faction membership

3 - You make little impact on the world

4 - Quest and Journal System (chase EZ quest marker, with journal so sparse on details you're essentially forced to use the markers, among other things)

5 - NPC conversations are heavily reduced

6 - Massively oversimplified puzzles

7 - The value of items has been reduced (not just straight cash value but relative value and high lvl stuff too common/easy to get)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Also, personal preference, the constant comparison of casual gamers = little kids just got me annoyed.

I get the feeling the picture was less a specific "casual gamers = physically young kids" as it is a conceptualized, snark reference of mentality maturity. Either way, it is a bit annoying. He could have at least used different pictures each time. ;)

>/looks at length of video

4 - Quest and Journal System (chase EZ quest marker, with journal so sparse on details you're essentially forced to use the markers, among other things)

7 - The value of items has been reduced (not just straight cash value but relative value and high lvl stuff too common/easy to get)

Thanks LadyCrimson.  I agree that most major RPGs have been dumbed down streamlined.  The most obvious reason is trying to appeal to a wider market of gamers that may be turned off by the "old school" approach of hardcore RPGs.  You can't really blame publishers for that since it's their business to try to make as much profit as possible.  Larger audience = more profit.  There is also the trend in all forms of media, video games included, of trying to hit as many demographics as possible.  They use focus groups to try to find out what what's "hip" and try to appeal to as many different types of people as possible while also trying to offend the least amount of people possible.  The problem with that is that it pushes all games further and further toward a bland "one size fits all category" that offers a tiny bit of what every different type of gamer wants, but not enough to really satisfy either.  Then there's the move toward action focused RPGs.  Part of that is because action focused games tend to appeal to a broader audience than tactical focused games, part is because we now have the technology and experience to actually make action RPGs and make them well, and part is because action focused RPGs naturally lend themselves better to console controllers.

The good news is that "old school" style RPGs aren't going anywhere.  They may be declared "dead" in the mainstream just like point n click adventures were, but, just like point n clicks, they will continue to live on as a niche market.  As long as that niche market continues to exist, and I believe it will, the mainstream can go wherever it wants.  I can simply chose not to follow said mainstream.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Good video. Some rich philanthropist has got to buy Bethesda and give back to the TES community by making a hardcore TES game with this sole goal in mind instead of looking to make more money. But not in this world. Humanity is selfish and hopeless.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Eh

Do think the faults in Bethesda games could be pointed out a lot better.

Also, personal preference, the constant comparison of casual gamers = little kids just got me annoyed. But then again, I'm annoyed at the comparison in general. There's plenty of kids that find there way into more complex games and end up liking them and 18+ year olds that complain about not having their hand being hold.

Typically it's the kids that aren't casual gamers, in my experience.

when i was 14-15 i was anything but casual about my favorite games.

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Good video. Some rich philanthropist has got to buy Bethesda and give back to the TES community by making a hardcore TES game with this sole goal in mind instead of looking to make more money. But not in this world. Humanity is selfish and hopeless.

You mean the TES community that loves making waifu mods, nude meshes and textures and everything worse? Yeah, because the Elders Scrolls are going to go backtrack to their previous iterations.  :rolleyes:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

In the very end, just follow the money. Meaning, people suck.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You mean the TES community that loves making waifu mods, nude meshes and textures and everything worse? Yeah, because the Elders Scrolls are going to go backtrack to their previous iterations.  :rolleyes:

Fantasitc rebutal. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

So, basically, (most) modern RPGs = Skyrim = Bad, right? I can get behind that, all the way. Thanks for the summary, I have better games to play in place of listening to someone else make the same complaints I do while playing Skyrim for half an hour. It really feels like a much longer time when someone else is doing the complaining. Edited by AGX-17

Oh another one......

Seriously, everyone knows that mainstream RPGs are being watered down, quite a few people don't like it. Also, Morrowind is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from what I'd consider a perfect RPG. I'd argue Morrowind is where the mainstream RPG slide towards actiony gameplay that fits more on a console than PC began.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands