New Star Wars RPG

So, Obsidian is pitching a new Star Wars RPG according to Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/08/new-republic-obsidian-actively-pitching-more-star-wars/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RPSfull+). That's great news!

Having said that, KOTOR 3 would still have been a great pitch. I would venture a guess that TOR, as an MMO, didn't appeal to a lot of single player KOTOR fans. I certainly didn't buy it and I would guess there were many KOTOR fans who likewise exchewed it. Besides, it did get a couple of million sales - it's just that the MMO couldn't keep them for a long time, which is where it makes its revenue.

I'm not going to get too excited about this, a lot has to happen for this to get close to development.  It would be great though.

Agreed.  Too much can happen between the "pitch" stage and the "GoA can go to the store and buy this game" stage.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

From what I understand, when Iger said Lucasarts would focus more on social and mobile games, they meant in-house. They would still contract out bigger projects.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, if it happens, that'd definitely be great. Other than that ... not going to read too much into it yet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

\o/

Even if "jedi are being killed off" sounds rather boring, I'm hopeful there's something good woven deeper in the story. Though personally I would prefer a story set after Ep 6. I just like that "era" more.

OTOH ,Imperial regime and potencially seeing those red robed guys in action sounds good too.

We're talking here about Disney alright. I think they might have the same mentality as EA or Activision does, and that is that they only do business with really big developers that can produce outstanding production values where style and "playing safe" is more important than actually creating something fresh or risky. You know, something that Obsidian/Kotor fans would usually expect.

Obsidian is more the sort of developer suited for medium-sized publishers.

Also Disney Interactive's treatment of it's internal developers in the past was horrendous. They shut down so many studios, I think they just don't "get" games.

Edited by Morgoth

Cool news. A game between episodes 3 and 4 would be fun. Hope this sees the light of day.

Eh? That's not actually KotoR (which takes place thousands of years before the original films,) and wouldn't it just consist of a jedi sitting around on some backwater planet hiding from the Empire?

LucasArts is more than capable of doing the stupid themselves without any encouragement from Disney, they've done it before, frequently. Combining them with Disney is pretty much the perfect storm for the 'change direction randomly every 18 months' school of game publishing as both have oscillated wildly in their approaches as different executives are appointed/ fired, each with diametrically opposed viewpoints to the previous guy and no time to actually implement their vision before a higher up decides that they've Failed Them For The Last Time.

Who knows what can happen?

But atleast with OE, a SW RPG would be in the best hands it can be...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Hopefully they will skip all the established continuity and do a story either set after or before it. The series is in desperate need of a breath of fresh air that they can exploit for profit like all of the ones before.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I wonder if it'll match kotor 2 in the amount of bugs department.

Not this again. You know, I've bought boxed copy of KOTOR 2, played the game and finished it, and I encountered only one serious bug (when you meet Handmaiden on Telos). The game has bad reputation not because of the bugs, but because of the ending.

I wonder if it'll match kotor 2 in the amount of bugs department.

Not this again. You know, I've bought boxed copy of KOTOR 2, played the game and finished it, and I encountered only one serious bug (when you meet Handmaiden on Telos). The game has bad reputation not because of the bugs, but because of the ending.

Key word is serious. I managed to play through New Vegas without running into anything too serious as well, but I'd hardly say that means the game is bug free.

But you're right; Obsidian has a special relationship with lazy development in general, and bugs are only a part of that.

But you're right; Obsidian has a special relationship with lazy development in general, and bugs are only a part of that.

:geek:

BioWare makes KOTOR1 in 4 years.

Obsidian makes KOTOR2 in 1 year.

OE is apparently lazy.

Logic ain't logical!

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

"BioWare makes KOTOR1 in 4 years."

BIO makes a game engine, a universe (well advanced universe since its absed on SW), rules, and characters in 3-4 years as theyw ere contracted to and LA was happy with their work.

"Obsidian makes KOTOR2 in 1 year."

Obsidian continues a story  in a year or so as contracted and sadly LA wasn't happy with their work (for the record I found KOTOR2 an enjoyable xperience but I'm not LA and I didn't invest in the game outside of buying 1 copy).

There, now your post is actually logically based in fact instead of make believe like it was/. Thank me. :)

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The problems with KotOR 2 were on Obsidian and Lucasarts. It was Obsidian's first project and they bit off more thn they could chew, and Lucasarts told them they would have more time but didn't put it in writing so there was nothing to do when they backed out of that agreement. For what it was I found it very enjoyable, and aside from the ending found it better than the first.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They weren't dissatisfied. They just wanted an x-mas rush. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the engine. Modified aurora from NWN, hardly new or anything they didn't already have 6 years experience working on (compared to OE's none).

As for the ruleset, it already existed, d20 Star Wars.

As for the universe... it's STAR WARS. And the only real 'new' planet was Taris. Maybe Manaan...

All in all, seems a little bit too little to call OE lazy for doing stuff in a 1/4th timeframe.

See what Bio itself does in that timeframe (Dragon Age 2)... I guess I made my point?

^