Your first cRPG

TSBasilisk

im thinking it was baldurs gate 1 that got me into crpg's

of course, i did and do still play all types of games, not just crpg's, but it was baldurs gate that made me realize you could play a video game that felt almost like playing D&D.  After BG 1 i was curious if there were other games out there like that, after a little researched i found out about fallout 1, and picked it up the next day.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Neverwinter Nights 1 + Shadows of Undrentide.  I'd been saving up for quite some time and could finally afford to purchase a good gaming PC.  Having been on the BioWare forums for since before the release of NWN1, it was very satisfying to finally be able to start playing some form of D&D once again as I was a big AD&D player as a kid.  A year later I added Hordes of the Underdark and was very pleased with what it brought to the table.

The early '00s were a fine time for cRPG players.

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Well, finally managed to beat Neverwinter Nights 2. The final dungeon wasn't all that enjoyable, but the final pre-battle conversation that checked many of your influence levels, and the quite massive final battle felt like somebody put real care into designing them.

All-in-all, a decent, long D&D game that occasionally leaps or dives in quality. Probably won't play the vanilla campaign again, the game is annoyingly buggy even to this day.

Hordes of the Underdark was good, the rest of NWN sucked horribly as I remember.

The toolset and the modules created by the dedicated community members more than made up for the deficiencies of the original campaigns in NWN1 and SoU.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I remember enjoying Shadows of Undrentide the most (though admittedly did not finish it). Probably because it had more plentiful choices and better exploration than the original campaign, and I really didn't understand Hordes of the Underdark back when I had the game. The only things I remember from HoU is that the game was harder, filled with puzzles that I didn't have the patience for back then, and samey cave environments.

The first games I played and enjoyed on the PC was mostly adventure games, but the first game wtih RPG elements I played was Master of Magic in 1994, which is without a doubt the best game I've ever played - still. While it's more of a strategy game it was the game that spurred my interest in CRPG. It was also this game that got me into programming in C++, because it was getting a bit too easy for me and I realized how to edit the savegames to expand the game, speed up and increase the difificulty of my gameplay.. I think I would have been a lost soul without this game.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Questron on the C-64. Took over a hundred thousand in-game "days" to complete, which made my lowly serf about 275 years old. I think Mantor got tired of waiting and surrendered out of boredom.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The first one I played was Zork.

I eventually played the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance D&D PC games.  didn't get too much into them though.

The first one that I really enjoyed actually was on a Mac.

It was a game called Dungeon of Doom.

The first one on PC was actually Baldurs Gate (the original)

Loved the way you could explore and find your way around....and die in the process.

Later I also tried a game I think it was called Hillsfar...which was a Rogue like D&D game.

Those two led me to the downhill slope of PC RPGs that I played and enjoyed.

Dungeon Hack the old DOS version.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Baldur's Gate. And the reason I tried it at the time was Diablo... I'd already been playing PC games for several years by then -- the Commander Keen series, One Must Fall 2097, Doom 1 and 2, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Little Big Adventure 2, and a LOT of Diablo -- when a friend of mine mentioned this new game that was "kind of like Diablo but bigger and more tactical". I bought it, played it, and never looked back :)

It turned gaming from a just another hobby into a passion.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

• 3 weeks later...

For me, it was probably Eye of the Beholder ~on someone else's Amiga; then later Pool of Radiance and Curse [of the Azure Bonds].

** Actually, it was more likely Bard's Tale come to think on it; on someone else's Commodore 64. :grin:

Edited by Gizmo

Stonekeep (1995). Curiously enough, I avoided CRPGs like the plague prior to Stonekeep - I was primarily a TBS/RTS/P&C Adventure fan. But then, a friend of mine got Stonekeep and invited me to play together with him - we took turns between playing and journal keeping (thankfully, the game had an integrated map so we didn't have to use the graph paper). I still remember the moment when we defeated Khul-Khuum - it was so anticlimactic I couldn't believe it (but the Palace of Shadows gave me nightmares for years). 

After that, I hunted down Gold Box games and played them until I got stuck/bored - I don't think I managed to complete any of them except Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession. I am *still* frustrated by the ending of Stone Prophet, which required you to draw Ankhtepot through a series of corridors filled with lightning bolts and poison so that he could battle his chancellor and give you the time to escape. Never could do it :(

I also played through Might & Magic games (almost all of them) and Wizardry (later ones). I was never a fan of Ultima games.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I think it is Mystaria: The Realms of Lore on Sega Saturn (1996), also known as Blazing Heroes in some countries. A nice Turn-based tactical RPG, with not-so-nice 2D graphics and 3D environnement graphics, but I liked it a lot, it was very addictive and had much freedom compared to other japanese tactical RPG at that time.

I liked so much, that I decided to give RPG a try, so I played Fallout, and it was the beginning of lots of stories. :)