Your first cRPG

TSBasilisk

Rings of Power by Naughty Dog on the Sega Mega Drive. My first open world game, it was quite funny and really hard, especially the final fight that was more about luck than judgement. It was mostly turn based, with a little real-time on the world map. The world map vs local map worked a lot like my second cRPG, Fallout, but it had a number of different vehicles and you had to manage food and water.

I think my first cRPG that I played from start to finish and understood what was happening was Land of Lore - Throne of Chaos. Before that I had played some Eye of the Beholder games, some goldbox games and some ultima games, but I wasn't good enough with english to really understand what was going on.

CRPG that got me hooked was Fallout 1.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

If Quest for Glory doesn't count, then Fallout 1 was my first.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I honestly can't remember, I was never specifically into RPGs, point and click adventures and action games were my thing, nevertheless I played lots of them on my Amiga and later the PC, stuff like Dungeon Master, Eye of The Beholder, Faery Tale Adventure and Bard's Tale, but I never completed any.

The first RPG to really grab me by the balls was Oblivion and later Fallout 3...a badge of shame in hardcore circles but I wear it proudly, those games opened my eyes and I ended up playing stuff like Fallout 1&2, PS:T and VTM: Bloodlines, I gained an appreciation for storytelling and game mechanics, which set me up nicely for when New Vegas was released :)

Edited by WDeranged

I can one-up the thread starter.  My first CRPG was Might and Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum

My uncle, who lived with my grandparents when I was little (yeah, the whole "living with his parents until well into his late 20s" thing made him a pretty stereotypical RPG gamer), had a C64 with that on it.  I used to play it when visiting-- at least when I could get my uncles and grandfather off of it. 

Edited by Enoch

If Quest for Glory doesn't count, then Fallout 1 was my first.

This has been a really fascinating topic. Its interesting to see everyones first RPG, there are some real classics in the lists

I also don't count Quest for Glory as an RPG, or that would be my first. So then I would have to say Ultima 9, Pagan.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Moonstone: A Hard Day's Knight. Don't really remember much from it, except that it was scary as hell for a 6 year old, especially that swamp monster. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uvS4uhVXkmM

Aaaaahhh, cute :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Pools of Radiance. On the Mac. Man I waited forever for games to come out on the Mac back then. :)

"Same" to both. I was 8 or 9 at the time, I believe and hadn't studied a day of English. Steep learning curve :) I still have the box and discs, for some of the others, as well!

I've actually never played champions and death knights of krynn, nor the savage frontier games because they were nevers ported to the mac. Otoh, some of the gold box mac versions, especially Secret of the Silver Blades had greatly improved artwork on the mac.

Guess there's a few more games I need to add to my list, even if I doubt I no longer have the patience for turn-based....

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

My first experience with CRPGs was probably Dungeon Hack. My cousin own it and was playing one day when we went to visit. I remember thinking it was pretty neat. Up to that point most of my games were platformers or strategy games like Commander Keen, Red Alert and Empire Deluxe. I don't remember if I ever actually played it myself, but it's what eventually got me to look into RPGs.

Some time later (years later) I went into an EB Games looking for a new game, but I didn't see anything good among all the RTS games so I thought I'd try something new. Memories of Dungeon Hack are what made me look at the RPGs. Baldur's Gate, Torment and Fallout all there on the shelves. Ended up with Baldur's Gate as the first CRPG that I bought for myself.

Edited by Deraldin

Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic (how's that for an obscure title  :p ) was likely my first cRPG.  Either that or Dragon Warrior on NES.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

SSI's Phantasie in 1985*.  Loved being able to get monster party members. :)

*I'm guessing Atari's Adventure or SwordQuest: Earthworld don't count, really being puzzle games.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Fallout 2, friend raved about it - funny story overhearing him gunning down kids in New Reno while talking to him on the phone, incidentally - so gave it a try.  Took far, far too long to finish it with my first character.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually, now that I think about it, I probably played the Intellivision Dungeons & Dragons game before I did M&M1.  But the license from TSR is really the only thing that would make one call that particular game a CRPG. 

• Like 1

Betrayal at Krondor.  My aunt and uncle asked me to water their plants while they spent the summer after his retirement touring Alaska. This meant a 40-minute drive every Saturday to their home in the country. I wasn't very enthused until I started playing BaK on my uncle's computer. By the end of the summer I had decided the that I needed a 486 at home--primarily for business purposes, of course.  ;-)

First CRPG Hmmm... Probably 'The Wild Bunch', it was RPGish, the first RPG I truely remember playing and loving was 'Shining in the Darkness'

That said I've played a lot of the older CRPG's after I got very into RPG's when I was about 13, 14.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!