obyknven

"Hora! Snickah-resu!" - Oh, those silly japs.

I'll take the red-head.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"I no longer believe in the defence of Kaliningrad."

Joke for perhaps 4 military historians.

ROFL.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't mind this thread, it's very different of what I usually see on the media :)

Have to say, Russia is a very strange, strange place.

But that's good, not all parts of the world should conform to the same ideology.

Russia is going backwards in there social responsibilities towards equality and discrimination. Whether it is blatant racism on the football field or there ridiculous new homophobic laws this is something we need to condemn. I have major concerns around the ideological route that Russia seems to be following...major concerns.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't mind this thread, it's very different of what I usually see on the media :)

But that's good, not all parts of the world should conform to the same ideology.

Russia is going backwards in there social responsibilities towards equality and discrimination. Whether it is blatant racism on the football field or there ridiculous new homophobic laws this is something we need to condemn. I have major concerns around the ideological route that Russia seems to be following...major concerns.

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Anyway International community can't do nothing against Russia and all these whiling about bad Ruskies looks quite curious from this perspective.

Too true. Corruption and violence are just part of the charm of the place. How dare we assume Russians don't actively enjoy having no free opposition!

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Too true. Corruption and violence are just part of the charm of the place. How dare we assume Russians don't actively enjoy having no free opposition!

:lol:

Accurate observation

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That wonderful video omits the chauvinism and lack of free speech.

Russia wonderful place because the chauvinism and lack of free speech. Join to dark side! We have beautyful totalitarian life.

http://vimeo.com/61419295

The .alt / troll mask is slipping now.

ooh! I can't see, who is he? An Albanian?

All Stop. On Screen.

Well football racism, they're in good company with a fair amount of European countries - though I wonder if they just abuse opposing players or their own. As for concerns, heh, concerns that what exactly ? They'll end up not being friends with the West, unlike now ? :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They abuse their own as well. Big stink a year or so back when a (St Petersburg?) team got its first black player and he got flak from the home fans, though there was some talk that it was due to them using exclusively Russians up to then so not explicitly because he was black but because he was foreign. But it's the sort of thing relatively little attention is paid to when it doesn't have a useful second role as a stick to beat with, Lazio had to play several games behind closed doors last year due to similar issues for example yet you don't hear that being used to show that all Italians are racist, and you don't generally hear people complain about the far harsher anti gay laws in places like Saudi- or Qatar, given that they've got a world cup coming as well. That might be because they'll just tell the west to FOAD, but it isn't like Russia won't either, to all practical purposes.

It's not that they aren't bad at all though, it's just that when something happens in Russia it tends to become symptomatic of the whole country to some people, when it happens elsewhere it's just an aberration that is being worked at hard to correct, even if (as in Lazio's case) it's actually happened multiple times.

They abuse their own as well. Big stink a year or so back when a (St Petersburg?) team got its first black player and he got flak from the home fans, though there was some talk that it was due to them using exclusively Russians up to then so not explicitly because he was black but because he was foreign. But it's the sort of thing relatively little attention is paid to when it doesn't have a useful second role as a stick to beat with, Lazio had to play several games behind closed doors last year due to similar issues for example yet you don't hear that being used to show that all Italians are racist, and you don't generally hear people complain about the far harsher anti gay laws in places like Saudi- or Qatar, given that they've got a world cup coming as well. That might be because they'll just tell the west to FOAD, but it isn't like Russia won't either, to all practical purposes.

It's not that they aren't bad at all though, it's just that when something happens in Russia it tends to become symptomatic of the whole country to some people, when it happens elsewhere it's just an aberration that is being worked at hard to correct, even if (as in Lazio's case) it's actually happened multiple times.

Ah ok, well I suppose them being racists is bad enough without them being hypocritically so.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm holding high hopes for Russia at the moment. They've got tank racing. Tank. Racing. Do you know how long the step to Death Race is from there?

Do something good with all those surplus guns you've been hoarding, instead of selling them to rebels and turdflies all over the world!

They've already got a government so corrupt and the amount of crazy billionaire mobsters that they can go for it. Just let a mobster buy an old complex (Russian government has already sold military bunkers before, so hell, it's not that far off) or something of that sort, big in size though - that's important - and start building a massive prison out of it, build a racetrack on the grounds and get some internet cables pulled there, then mine the hell out of the area surrounding the prison; Voila! Let criminals build monstercars with guns and then have the various criminals duke it out for their freedom while livestreaming to the internet!

Save us from bad reality TV!

Please, Mother Russia, you're my only hope! :(

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Ah ok, well I suppose them being racists is bad enough without them being hypocritically so.

I wouldn't say hypocritical, because both the tendency to excuse stuff from your 'side' and to demonise or make unpleasant/ racist/ homophobic chants or even just generalise from example at the other side are the same base phenomenon with differing outward effects. The real problem lies with our inherent and fundamental tendency towards tribalism, rather like religion football tends to give a framework and purpose to people who are... idiots really, but if they weren't being idiotic in that way they'd almost certainly find another way. At its heart the football phenomenon says "wear our colours, sing our songs, chant our chants, support our team; and those [opponent] fans suck totally, as does their team" and many people take it extremely seriously. That's not a recipe for reason and moderation anywhere.

Edited by Zoraptor

Fair point, bad choice of words on my part as usual. Hopefully when black players come to Russia and lead them to victory the fans might be less hostile to them in general. Well ok, that is hoping too much - but performance can win over people, see Trautmann in Manchester.

Well, not everybody simply have the same definition of "forward."Their forward might be backwards to you, it's a strange place after all :D. It's also what makes the world simply not boring.

Regardless, it's up to them to decide whether they want to change things. If they want the racist attitudes and homophobic laws, they will have it. If they don't, they will oppose it. The West had their chances to address homophobia and racism themselves, so let them have it too and let them choose their stances. The West values such freedom and independence, right?

Although, I don't think they want equality, or believe in such things. The Communists kinda promised equality, and they have to suffer from it. So yeah.

Edited by exodiark

Well, not everybody simply have the same definition of "forward."Their forward might be backwards to you, it's a strange place after all :D. It's also what makes the world simply not boring.

Regardless, it's up to them to decide whether they want to change things. If they want the racist attitudes and homophobic laws, they will have it. If they don't, they will oppose it. The West had their chances to address homophobia and racism themselves, so let them have it too and let them choose their stances. The West values such freedom and independence, right?

Although, I don't think they want equality, or believe in such things. The Communists kinda promised equality, and they have to suffer from it. So yeah.

I hear you but in many cases the world can't leave countries to decide there social responsibilities. They need influence and pressure to change. In South Africa do you think Apartheid would have ended if it wasn't for sanctions and the fact that the Western world refused to accept discrimination?

Russia needs pressure to change certain laws and attitudes they have towards minority groups :)

John Milton