What are you playing now?

Rosbjerg

Kind of hard to believe that, because even their own Square Enix Shop offers a copy for sale, which requires Steam to play...

Yes, I was saying it requires Steam to play.  Gorth was concerned that it required more, like how Ubisoft titles launch from Steam and then make you sign into Uplay.  At least that was the impression I got.

Yes, that was something similar I was worried about. The text was a bit muddled on the product page :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If anyone is playing Tomb Raider on PC you might want to know they messed something major up: http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/846947231090179422/

I'm playing in windowed mode with that program to make it full screen and it looks a lot better, like really a lot.

Good news is, right in that very same link, the OP has added a link to a fix for this issue in his original post. I haven't picked up Tomb Raider yet, but assuming I ever get bored of Borderlands 2, it is one of the games I've been keeping an eye on.

On topic, still playing Borderlands 2. Got my assassin up to level 50, so I'm waiting to do the remaining DLCs with him after they raise the level cap. In the meantime I've started a Siren. I really like that phaselock skill.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Finished Serious Sam 3 Jewel of the Nile DLC.  Once I learned what I needed to do in the final battle it took me 2 tries.  Good times.  Methinks I'm feeling Mask of the Betrayerish now.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

starting to get sleeping dogs fatigue at around the 18 hour mark

i'll probably charge through the story quests so i can see how it all shakes out and then put it on the shelf for a few years.  still, for a $15 game (steam sale) it was more than worth every penny. 

not sure what to play next.  ni no kuni probably?

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Had to stop my BG2 playthrough, probably permanently. Something AI related in the Abazigal series of levels in causing consistent lock ups. I could get around it to an extent by cheat killing the AI (and really, 6 additional dragons? 4 in a row? Epic Lizardmen? Not my favourite changes, by any means) if there were a bunch on screen and save scumming, but having got past the 'final door' any AI on screen at all is causing freezing. Prior to that I'd had two crashes in the whole of BGT.

Finally started Dead Space 3.  Some early thoughts:

-The shooting is a bit awkward.  The aiming is ... stiff.  It's almost Resident Evil-esque, in that it seems to take a while to aim, move the sights over the target, and fire.  It's especially annoying when more than one enemy is attacking you.

-The tutorial is weak.  A couple of the powers don't have any real explanation for them, and even when you go into inventory, the descriptions of the various items is lacking, IMO.

-On the plus side, the setting is pretty cool and the story, so far, is interesting.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Saw Syndicate going for a couple of quid, so I picked it up. Spent a few hours this evening playing it.  I'll say it has some interesting ideas.. but I'm damn glad I didn't spend any more money on getting it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Is it just me or are most games not really that optimized for PC? I can play something like BF3 with everything maxed and I get smooth gameplay for the most part(save for some sections of a map), whereas something like Saints Row 3 there's jutter even when I pull the settings down, and Fallout New Vegas as well. Maybe open world games sort of suck on my system or I might need to reformat and start with a fresh windows install. I just got a new video card and run the graphic intensive games well, but in the uglier games, I don't notice any improvement at all.

Still playing Borderlands 2. Great game, having loads of fun. It's better written than the first game and I love the characters (except the one I play myself, Salvador). I love Tannis.

But.. three things.

One, I have never found a good weapon! Is this how it's supposed to be? All guns feel like peashooters! I meet a normal enemy, 1000 bullets later it's gone. If I meet a badass, I'm in trouble. Maybe I am unlucky with drops? Level 33 and found 3 orange items so far (two from quests and one from a one armed bandit). Two of them were absolutely useless, but the level 13 orange sniper rifle was so good that I used it until level 28-29. Ok, so I found ONE good weapon :)

Two, the skills are nowhere near as much fun as in the first game. Almost all skills are of the type "While your shield is gone and the moon is less than a quarter and your mom is sleeping blah blah.." meaning that they are dependent on a game state to occur before activating. The most annoying thing about this is that half of those skills are only activated after you've been shot down! I don't want to spend my skill points on skills that only activate when I fail! I don't like this at all. I'm actually not at all happy with my Salvador build, but since I reached level 33 with him, I thought I'd finish the game with him anyhow.

Three, the variation between guns actually seems to have decreased since the last game. Isn't that weird? They brag about having even more guns, but in the game it feels like there are maybe 20 different guns and the rest are tiny variations of these 20 guns. And every time I find a seemingly great gun, it says "Consumed 4 rounds per shot, magazine size: 3 rounds", rendering the weapon useless.

It's annoying. The first game made you feel powerful after leveling up and spending your skill points. This game makes no difference when I spend my skill points (since the skills activate in the weirdest of situations, and usually 0.2 seconds before I am dead) and because the weapons are all so alike and powerless, the combat is not nearly as satisfying.

I like it, but it feels like a small step back from the first game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm liking Dead Space 3's shooting more now that I have my carbine/shotgun combination.  Carbine's good for long range, and shotgun is deadly when they get in too close to me.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Finally finished the big stodgy main course of Neverwinter Nights 2, now on to the delightfully sinful, rich and dark dessert of Mask. Yum, yum.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Still playing Borderlands 2. Great game, having loads of fun. It's better written than the first game and I love the characters (except the one I play myself, Salvador). I love Tannis.

But.. three things.

One, I have never found a good weapon! Is this how it's supposed to be? All guns feel like peashooters! I meet a normal enemy, 1000 bullets later it's gone. If I meet a badass, I'm in trouble. Maybe I am unlucky with drops? Level 33 and found 3 orange items so far (two from quests and one from a one armed bandit). Two of them were absolutely useless, but the level 13 orange sniper rifle was so good that I used it until level 28-29. Ok, so I found ONE good weapon :)

Two, the skills are nowhere near as much fun as in the first game. Almost all skills are of the type "While your shield is gone and the moon is less than a quarter and your mom is sleeping blah blah.." meaning that they are dependent on a game state to occur before activating. The most annoying thing about this is that half of those skills are only activated after you've been shot down! I don't want to spend my skill points on skills that only activate when I fail! I don't like this at all. I'm actually not at all happy with my Salvador build, but since I reached level 33 with him, I thought I'd finish the game with him anyhow.

Three, the variation between guns actually seems to have decreased since the last game. Isn't that weird? They brag about having even more guns, but in the game it feels like there are maybe 20 different guns and the rest are tiny variations of these 20 guns. And every time I find a seemingly great gun, it says "Consumed 4 rounds per shot, magazine size: 3 rounds", rendering the weapon useless.

It's annoying. The first game made you feel powerful after leveling up and spending your skill points. This game makes no difference when I spend my skill points (since the skills activate in the weirdest of situations, and usually 0.2 seconds before I am dead) and because the weapons are all so alike and powerless, the combat is not nearly as satisfying.

I like it, but it feels like a small step back from the first game.

That's how I thought the first game was. I found a good sniper rifle early on, and after that the good weapons were few and very far between the thousands of useless drops.

But.. three things.

[ snip ]

Guns are a rather odd thing, because guns can "read" as having essentially the same stats, but you have to actually fire them in order to tell if that's true or not. Unless, of course, you have all those prefixes and gun parts memorized and know what they mean when alone or combined. eg, two guns that seem nearly identical stat-wise can have very different recoil/steadiness/recovery, accuracy, firing pattern, etc. They'll feel a lot different. I don't typically sell any gun until I've equipped it and fired it at a wall at least.

That said, there is much less sense of uniqueness about most guns in the game, outside of the Legendary/orange. 

Edit: the basic "problem" is that viewable stats kinda suck at telling you how a gun performs

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Overlord, or squishy imp babysitting simulator. This is an incredibly fun and unique game. The writing is great, story, dialogue, characters spot on, the setting is a bit generic and while the maps are way more open and unlike corridors than a lot of other games, they're a bit small. There's a mixture of clever gameplay involving combat puzzles. The combat is surprisingly good, but really simple, you've got to get your positioning right and attack at the right time. Imps are so vulnerable and stupid though, you've got to really be on your toes. Love the looting mechanic, imps loot weapons and armour that they use, it's really cool. It's a charming game you should at least try.

There's an annoying farm (also literally a farm) for "life force" to get more imps, it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same areas all the time because ransacking different places with imps to get resources would have been fun, seeing an imp mount a sheep and bash it in the head was fun the first 100 times. I would have liked to see this part expanded upon, been able to target farms and towns that were not my followers, on raids. It would have been nice to also been able to dedicate imps to this, so as to get an income of life force that's lower but gets you out of the farming and onto the missions.

The control system is hilariously bad, but it's clearly a game that needed to be mouse driven but was designed for gamepad, it's amazing that it works at all, clearly the devs are talented, but it's completely futile. This game should have been isometric with a Warcraft 3 style control scheme, or at least a World of Warcraft control scheme, then it could have been a masterpiece. You can't really target anything, you can lock on to some things more by luck than judgement, other things get locked onto that you can't see and are in another room. Would have loved AI to auto target and bring me resources.

I tried Overlord 2 but wasn't feeling it in terms of story or style, clubbing baby seals and hippy elves was a nice touch though, gameplay was way too much "more of the same" for me while not really improving anything.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

For some reason got the inkling to play The Guild 2.  Impressive little bugs in this game, but it's fun to play a weapon smith trying to compete with strong families or my pickpocketing rogue with a innkeeper wife whose rising in the ranks of public office. 

Really though, have to wonder at why I need to tap backspace to delete a word rather than just hold it down.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Longest Journey... Never heard of these before, good narrative so far.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Guns are a rather odd thing, because guns can "read" as having essentially the same stats, but you have to actually fire them in order to tell if that's true or not. Unless, of course, you have all those prefixes and gun parts memorized and know what they mean when alone or combined. eg, two guns that seem nearly identical stat-wise can have very different recoil/steadiness/recovery, accuracy, firing pattern, etc. They'll feel a lot different. I don't typically sell any gun until I've equipped it and fired it at a wall at least.

That said, there is much less sense of uniqueness about most guns in the game, outside of the Legendary/orange. 

Edit: the basic "problem" is that viewable stats kinda suck at telling you how a gun performs

I've actually found a lot of times the purple guns I've picked up are better than the orange ones.  I remember finding an orange one and thinking, "Yes!  I'm gonna kick butt now", and then end up selling it a bit later when I got a purple gun of the same level that was so much better.

Maybe I just have bad luck.

The basic problem is that there are 50 gun levels so when you find one you like it's good for 3 or 4 more levels and then it's obsolete and you might never find one exactly like it. That and it's too easy (it get's harder once you beat the game and unlock new difficulty levels, but that doesn't really count) and there is no PVP action. There really ought to be a PVP arena in a shooting MMO.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Too easy? My weapons do maybe 600-1000 damage per hit. A normal enemy has maybe 60-100,000 hitpoints.

Me, on the other hand, has around 6-7000 hitpoints (at level 33 or 34, I forget) and a shield that's supposed to be 4000 of something, but it's useless as it disappears if a fly sneezes nearby.

Enemies hit me for around 3000. Per shot. 2-3 hits and I'm gone. I die a lot.

I've only found one way of winning. Stay behind cover, slag them and headshot them repeatedly with a fast sniper rifle. This is the reason why I kept that orange level 13 sniper rifle for so long. It had a 27 shot magazine, a fire rate like an assault rifle and it was very stable through the scope.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have just  finished Alan Wake and I thoroughly enjoyed it, a solid 78/100

The game captures very well  this eerie mystery where you are part of this narrative that your character creates. You need to find your wife in this town beset by a supernatural force. Similar to a Call of Cthulhu entity. I found the game very hard to stop once you start playing, and that always a good sign :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Levels I guess. I always thought the arenas were the most challenging. Close quaters lots of tactics necessary to survive, so I would wind up 3-5 levels higher than the current main quest average level for playing the arenas untill i beat them. Another reason the level system ruins the game.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.