• I don't care make the best game ever.
    • Other Choice (Comment)
  2. 2. Smashing chests open?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care make the best game ever.
    • Other Choice (Comment)
  3. 3. Knock Knock?

This is kind of a fledgeling thought, but what if, say, a Wizard could create a magical "bubble" around the door and your party, so that a character could perform loud actions (such as bashing a door/breaking the hinges, etc.) while still failing to alert nearby enemies?

Maybe, as a jumpstart on balancing, the ability to control sound within a radius could only be maintained for a brief duration (5 seconds?), and your characters with crappier door-breaching skills would take a bit longer (maybe 10 seconds) to loudly bypass the door than would those with higher skill values?

This way, the ability to mute your door-breaching actions is conditional, so it's not simply "As long as you have a Wizard, you're never loud." Also, you might have to choose that spell over something else, rather than having it as some simpler part of a default tome set or something. *shrug*. Specific party builds, FTW! Also, teamwork. u_u

cone_title.gif

Good idea. What could possibly go wrong? :p

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

It could totally be a cone spell! 8D

I dunno though... maybe just a radius, or some other shape?

THE DODECAHEDRON OF SILENCE! ^_^

In all seriousness, though... (And this may just need to be taken to a different thread)

What if spells could AID in (but not take the place of) stealthy action? Sort of the arcane equivalent of spraypainting over security camera lenses in a bank heist, 8P. Literally "Silence" sentries, so that, even though they've spotted you, they can't cry out for reinforcements.

The defensive version of that is, obviously, to cone-of-silence your allies' movements and actions, 8P

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hmm, some spells could be very interactive in various ways... you could "paint" a path forward? Perhaps the same thing with a [Cone of Silence] (Or [Muffle]), create Shadows which your Thief can sneak through to get forward. Make Illusion Doors that the enemy get stumped by (When they could just walk through the transparency of it, but it being an Illusion it could mess with their "perspective" or whatnot until they pass a proper "Dice Roll Check") or something. I am super tired atm and de-railing this post so much from the initial topic (Lockpicking). These are ideas of getting forward, which doors pretty much are a part of anywho.

This OP doesn't really have any sense of direction and I wasn't even thinking Wizard Knock Spells until someone stated it in a reply to the OP so either we can continue the discussion here or make a new thread for it (doesn't matter for me) but yes it is getting de-railed a little bit:

Perhaps being able to "Draw" the Grease Spell how you wish to cast it, those TNT barrels next to that unsuspecting group of groups, maybe you could make the "Grease" equivalent act as a sort of old school black powder "fuse".

Similarly something which was said earlier (by Lephys as well), [Teamwork], and I think Jenovah Chen (thatgamecompany #journeyps3) has a ton of good things to say about that (to inspire such an emotion at least). Characters being able to do stuff together, one of your companions butting into a conversation, being able to pull one up when they fall into a hole. Small things that aid the passage forward.

Back to topic:
* 2 Guys breaking down a "Difficult" door together, making enough noise to break any "Spell" put onto the characters (even with the [Muffler Spell] On)

Now, sleep zzz

• Like 3

^ Yeah, I don't know if I'd want Wizard spells to just easily make everyone stealthy for miles on end or anything... BUT, the paint-your-AoE idea (and especially the example for the flammable Grease spell usage) is a phenomenal idea! 8D

Probly needs a different thread, though, heh. The silency spells stuff was borderline, like I said (still deals with breaking doors, though, a bit?), but things that don't even deal with doors, we might need to jump to another thread with, for organization's sake. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't see opening locks with guns as viable.

Mythbusters kinda proved that it doesn't work well even with high-caliber modern guns.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Trashman: That is true, and I love Mythbusters!  :)

And yet, for a fantasy setting, I can live with that. There are loads of things that would be non-working myths in a CRPG like this, and that's fine. I know you advocate for better realism and more survival, but I think it would make for a lot of non-passable obstacles in the game if you bark up that tree to deep. Lockpicking, for instance,  would be hell, since the development of locks was fast and quite efficient in the medieval ages. A few lock mechanisms are still in use today, so bigger locks where a bolt clipper wouldn't stand a chance would be the end for our dear PE party. And detecting traps would be really difficult and important. And on a sidenote: What about a magical high-energy beam directed at bolts and pins in a lock or on a door? That would surely beat a flintlock shot, no?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Maybe we could cast Silence on locked doors and chests before attempting to axe or kung-fu our way through?

silence.jpg

• Like 2

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Maybe we could cast Silence on locked doors and chests before attempting to axe or kung-fu our way through?

I suggested almost the same thing above, in case you missed it. Only, with a spherical area that could be placed around the door (basically to trap sound), rather than an effect specifically targeting the door. *shrug*
  • Like 1

I suggested almost the same thing above, in case you missed it. Only, with a spherical area that could be placed around the door (basically to trap sound), rather than an effect specifically targeting the door. *shrug*

Ah, ok. It's been a long week. :grin:   It always seemed strange to me that Wizards didn't have the same level Silence spell in IE games.

Some notes from the NWN2 Wiki: Casting Silence on yourself in NWN1 created a mobile Silence aura that followed you around, silencing anything that penetrated the circle of white dots. This was especially useful for negating people using the listen skill and abusing silence bugs with casters. There was no will save. In NWN2 you cannot get the Silence aura to be mobile and cannot target yourself as it's deemed a hostile spell.

• Like 1

Ah, ok. It's been a long week. :grin:

No worries. Just didn't want you to miss the existing Silence discussion, purely for your own benefit. :)

I support the idea that anyone can break down a door, but only rogues can do it quietly and without damaging the door/lock. Locked door in a dungeon? Go ahead, alert half the dungeon breaking it down. Hope you're ready for it.

Silence spells are a good option for counteracting this effect, so long as they're suitably expensive to cast. Basically, they should be rest-limited. Otherwise it just becomes "learn silence to make lockpicking obsolete."

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In subject of smashing chests I agree to the idea that smashing should hold the highly risk of breaking the items inside. So there's the non frustrating ability for the talentless warrior-guy to destroy, what he can't open with patience and skill, and to collect undestroyable gold only, if there's some inside. And additionally there's the incentive to develop the skills to pick up the lock to gain the more damagable items inside of such a chest. That avoids dissappointment for every kind of player.

I hope a knocking system implemented.
Knocking a door or chest will cause sound, and can prevent stealth. For stealthy approach, you need to lockpick them.
Knocking a door will also break the lock, and you can not relock the door if you want to stop enemy to enter your room (or exit a room).

Knocking a chest will break some items, of course gold pieces, swords, armor will not break that easy.