The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

Hm, maybe it is just the armour.

I reckon his head is too small for his body/ he doesn't have a neck.

ISTR Foltest and Radovid had that problem in TW1, though that was because they had rather large epaulettes when wearing armour.

• Like 1

"Premium quality titles", does this mean AA or A?

XXX games.

Well they did have collectible nudie cards in TW1 and ample sex scenes including some full frontal in TW2, so that's not really much of a stretch for them.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Now that I remember it... Why the game wasn't banned in 'Merica for the nude scenes? Remember how Mass Effect got attacked for the little underwar scenes? Never heard something similar about Witcher 1 / 2. I'll guess it wasn't important for the media oversea?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Boobie cards were censored in the US for TW1, with some oh so arty draping of cats and loose clothing.

The only place to get censored versions for TW2 was Austral(as)ia as sex corrupts the delicate minds of young Ockers* and they didn't have an R18 classification at the time. Nice progressive New Zealand missed out as well, for the thirty seconds until someone posted a workaround on GOG.

*Actually it was only censored when sex was granted as a 'reward', the Triss stuff was not censored but the elf woman/ succubus was.

Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with those pin ups? I've got the CE and the artbook is just lovely, the high-resolution pin ups in particular.

Plus, there's plenty of strong female characters to balance them out. I liked Foltest's daughter in particular, even if she got in a bit over her head.

Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with those pin ups? I've got the CE and the artbook is just lovely, the high-resolution pin ups in particular.

Plus, there's plenty of strong female characters to balance them out. I liked Foltest's daughter in particular, even if she got in a bit over her head.

Nah, didn't have a problem with them. They were just pretty pictures.

Some artist really put blood, sweat and tears into those paintings only to have people cry out "OMG objectification!"

Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 1

I didn't have any problem with either the drawings or the sex separately, but found the boobie card 'achievements' rather cringe inducing as it reminds me too much of giggling behind the bike sheds over some magazine when I was 13. It's a bit like Miranda from ME2- I don't mind her character particularly, and I certainly don't mind looking at Yvonne Strahotsky. I did however find the obsession with butt cam and ludicrous poses in ME2 to be embarrassing.

• Like 1

Chani was the best girl.

Shani was my boo in TW1.  Eventually, in preparation for TW3, I'll do a playthrough all the way through the first two games kicking both Shani and Triss to the curb, trying to stay true to Yennefer, or as close as the games will let you.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Staying neutral is possible in TW, but it's obviously not what the devs intended ... playing that way is pretty boring, once all your friends give you up as a lost cause and turn their backs on you.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Interview with the executive producer

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Interview with the executive producer

Who in their right mind would pay for a Dandelion spin-off title?  

/points thumbs at self

This guy.

Other thoughts on interview:  Board & sword?  Since when does Geralt use a shield?  Shields are for pansies...  and regular humans that don't have superhuman agility and reflexes.

//slaps interviewer

Lead development platform - PC

**** yes!

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I haven't heard them say PC is lead platform for TW3. They seem to be shying away from that stance, actually. They were all about it with W1.

I think it is a good wager to say that while TW3 will be released on all platforms, it will be designed with a controller in mind.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wish it were 2014 already.

We could build a time machine.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've been saying that 2014 can't come soon enough too - somewhat facetiously, sure, but not without a reasonable degree of truth: the first half of this year (yes, there's a day of it remaining) has been a complete write-off for me in terms of new game purchases. Of games released in 2013, I've only gotten thus far Expeditions Conquistador and LSL Reloaded, and thus no games at all from "traditional" development.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I haven't heard them say PC is lead platform for TW3. They seem to be shying away from that stance, actually. They were all about it with W1.

From the video at 7:23:

Interviewer - Lead platform, PC?

John Mamais - Uhh, you mean lead development platform?

Interview - Yeah.  Lead development platform, PC?

John Mamais - Yeah.  Right now we're focusing on doing PC.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That actually doesn't mean anything. Just because they're focusing on the PC doesn't mean typical console features won't be an integral part of the game.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why they couldn't make a PC friendly interface for Witcher 2. Is it really that much work in what's already a multi million dollar project? And why they had to include QTE's.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

That actually doesn't mean anything. Just because they're focusing on the PC doesn't mean typical console features won't be an integral part of the game.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why they couldn't make a PC friendly interface for Witcher 2. Is it really that much work in what's already a multi million dollar project? And why they had to include QTE's.

Agreed, I'm just quoting the interview.  Their stance all along has been that they want to deliver the same level of quality across all platforms, which is good.  Just as long as the PC version doesn't become a second class citizen, I'm fine with it.  I'm sure a controller is what they're building around, they should, the type of game this is just naturally plays better with a controller, it's the best tool for the job.  Geralt isn't an archer so there's no advantage to mouse aiming and he doesn't have a large enough array of spells that he needs 20 different hotkey slots.  The combat system, at least in the second game, is clearly inspired by Batman: Arkham, which is a good model for them to ape since Geralt has similarly semi-superhuman fighting skills to Batman and a small array of signs and tricks, similar to Batman's gadgets.  That kind of combat system just works better on a controller, you can make it work fine with m&kb, but it will always feel more natural on a controller.  I don't consider building around a controller some kind of affront to PC gaming, I would imagine that the vast majority of hardcore PC gamers have one.  It's a rather standard peripheral that has been around for decades.

With that said, it does make me feel better that they're currently focusing on PC development.  In the end that may not mean anything and it's just a placebo I drank down with a glass of water, but I like feeling better so I'll accept the placebo and like it.

As for their interface in TW2, it wasn't ANYTHING friendly.  That needs a major overhaul for any and all platforms.  

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I think the game should work well with a mouse and keyboard and I see no reason why that would be hard to achieve. The Witcher 1 worked smoothly that way and its not rocket science to implement. That doesn't mean I'm against playing with gamepads but I don't like PC games being built around controllers when there's a perfectly functional input device on the machine itself.

I would never trade looking around with a mouse for a slow and finicky analog stick, and this is coming from someone who spent years playing on PS2's extremely well made gamepads (that still work after 7 years of abuse).

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.