Listening at doors and peeping in PE

I just loved that listening at doors-mechanic in D&D. Some races had keen hearing. Imagine what the Orlan can do with those ears! When I played Dishonored, I also loved that peek thru the keyhole thing. There were also abilites (improvements on Corvo's helmet too) where you could "zoom  in" on people and eavesdrop.

Imagine in PE's cities, where we already have Orlan detectives snooping about, if it was possible to listen at doors, peek thru keyholes and windows etc. It would come with risks but also rewards, especially RP-rewards. Hopefully, this can be done with simple solutions, sometimes using the graphics available, other times just popup a text window describing what we hear or see.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

If the listen skill worked like Wilderness Lore in IWD2, that could be useful.  Giving a description of what you can hear (footsteps, arguing, spellcasting, silence etc), and the higher your listen skill, the more specific the details (goblin footsteps, an old man arguing with a mysterious spirit-voice, a gnoll shaman chanting, howling wind or magical silence etc).

It'd be good if it was slightly different each playthrough too. So you *had* to deal with the info given, rather than reading it off some online walkthrough.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

If the listen skill worked like Wilderness Lore in IWD2, that could be useful.  Giving a description of what you can hear (footsteps, arguing, spellcasting, silence etc), and the higher your listen skill, the more specific the details (goblin footsteps, an old man arguing with a mysterious spirit-voice, a gnoll shaman chanting, howling wind or magical silence etc).

It'd be good if it was slightly different each playthrough too. So you *had* to deal with the info given, rather than reading it off some online walkthrough.

That last sentence, I shall cherish for a long time. I never bought a walkthrough in my life, and although I understand why people use them online, it would be great if some things in the game are slightly varied to the extent that it suprises you from playthru to playthru.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

When I played Dishonored, I also loved that peek thru the keyhole thing.

through.

Sorry.

Yeah, just a ear icon, which you can click on items and then a little text saying "You hear nothing out of the ordinary" or "A faint whisper reaches you from the other side of the door, as if two, maybe three men are talking softly"

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Hehe, sometimes I just write slobbily on purpose: thru, sorta, wanna... Sorry, I'll try to stick to the spelling rules forthwith

Nice suggestion: An ear symbol with a popup with simple messages would do nicely for a start. If they somehow could make that a bit randomized from one playthrough to the next, the merrier.