Ideas not to be forgotten

Hi all!

I've just re-read a few topics that I liked and realized that there are so many neat ideas that get buried in them and sooner, rather than later, we will get accused of necroing threads just by mentioning them.

That won't do! :no:

So, I'm starting this little thread. My idea is that we post our absolute favourite ideas here, and that we do it continuously, as we find new ones. I'm not saying that each time you press like somewhere, you should rush to this topic and post it here. The ideas here should be carefully selected by you. It should be things that you feel PE would benefit greatly from, so you do it in fear that the neat ideas may be soon lost in oblivion.

BUT! There are house rules in this thread as regards of what kinds of ideas that should be posted here:

-Preferably, it should be rather unique ideas

-Also, post nothing that is already stated by OEI to be included in the game

-Moreover, no glaring pet peeve details, please, like "the combat xp vs objective xp"-war

-And no, you can't post ideas of your own. You have to quote someone else

-Yes, it will happen that someone else had the great idea and you didn't know about that, so you quoted somebody that got the same idea later. That is absolutely fine!

-Lastly, this is not the place to debate the presented ideas. Please use the links to debate ideas where they came from. SO NO DEBATE POSTS IN THIS THREAD

AND! There is a format to this thread. I will show you, but first I'll try and describe it:

-Post your great idea as a quote from where you got it. Shorten it down to make it to-the-point

-Supply us with a link to the quote of the idea so others can read it in full at its original location and press like if they want to

-Make a short description of the quoted idea, followed by a colon and then a single "l" as in "like"

-Finally, and most importantly, at the bottom of your post, you should copy the list of great ideas. It's like a baton in a relay. EACH POSTER HERE MUST COPY THE LIST OF GREAT IDEAS AND PLACE IT AT THE BOTTOM!

-You are not allowed to remove othere people's ideas from the list

-Obviously, you can post here without proving new ideas: Then you will be making your opinion heard about the ideas on the list. All you need to do is add a single "l" after each idea on the list. Hopefully, when the "l"s accumulate it will begin to look like horizontal bars, which clearly shows how appreciated the ideas are

******************************************************************************************************************

Alright, I'll go first.

Here are a few ideas I think are worthy of this list:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63120-money-in-project-eternity-get-rid-of-adventurer-based-economy/page-2

I think the best way to set up the economy is to have magic items be very rare and exclude them from the economy. Nobody buys them except eccentric collectors who have lots of money to spend, and nobody sells them because they are too valuable. You have to do quests or steal/kill to get them. That way the economy is just there for the first part of the game, just like in Baldur's Gate where after chapter 2 or 3 you shouldn't need to buy anything ever again. A new spell scroll or some magical ammunition might be nice, but your weapons and armor are pretty much set, only to be replaced by magic items you find while adventuring. Basically gold should be used for consumables only.

Anytime you can buy items, it upsets the balance of the game. You can really twink yourself by selling off all the loot you find/steal in order to get one high level item, making the rest of the game too easy. However, if all the items are being heavily coveted/guarded by their owners, then you come to appreciate each one you earn much more.

Where it could get interesting, however, is if there's multiple currencies that are being kept track of. We know there is going to be two big cities, so you can have two different currencies just off of that. Dungeon delving and killing stuff from a different age can produce its own currency as well. Currency in one area doesn't necessarily convert to an equivalent currency in another area, especially if the two areas are not on friendly terms, and depending on what background activity is going on in game, could cause events to happen for the party.

For example, if the party went to clean out an elven burial site and spent the money found there in an elven area, that could cause a bounty to be placed on the party by the elves after a couple of days to be brought in for questioning...dead or alive. Or spending money from one city at the other city when they are not on friendly terms could result in the party being contacted by the local thieves guild for possible jobs.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63120-money-in-project-eternity-get-rid-of-adventurer-based-economy/page-2

"Falkon Swiftblade"

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

All this talk of weapons and thresholds, and everything that goes into it reminds me of when I played Star Wars Galaxies, the Vanilla version and when you finally unlocked your jedi – which was a miracle in itself when you did – you had to collect resources to build your lightsaber and each little piece contributed to the stats like what you have going on here. I really liked that system because no two players had the same saber even though on the outside it potentially looked the same. You may need a generic type of materiel like Metal, but there may be five types of metal to choose from at a time depending on the region you were in, and those all had different quality. My weapon may have a higher damage output but it was fragile and could break easy, and they had sub components that made up the final product. For reference for anyone at Obsidian who wants an idea for crafting for our weapons, here's info regarding saber construction as used in the old SWG. Maybe you guys could use something similar.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63207-update-39-non-core-classes-cooldowns-attack-resolution-damage-vs-armor-and-a-tileset/page-10

"Lephys" Posted 29 January 2013 01:34 AM

Equipment Degradation:

The possible solution? Abstract the degradation a bit so that it's a temporary effect, similar to (but not quite the same thing as) a typical de-buff in many RPGs. AND, perhaps, allow for some control over the likelihood or frequency of degradation. A perfect example would be with the weapon types. Maybe, since crushing is so effective against heavy, plate armor, a maul would be the only thing with a chance of damaging the armor itself. And maybe, if a sword is least effective against heavy, plate armor, using a sword against plate would have a chance to damage the sword (Hey! We're creating synergy between degradation AND weapon-swapping! 8D).

Heh. Either way, going along with their per-rest/per-encounter system for many durations/limitations for things, at the very LEAST I'd say your stuff should "automagically" get repaired when you rest (an abstraction of the assumption that if you're a seasoned warrior who relies on his gear all the time, you know how to repair it when you get some down time and/or the assumption that you're going to go somewhere to get it repaired anyway.) Another potential layer to such a system would be actual honing/improvements (re-temporing/forging/sharpening/armor reinforcements) that could be optionally purchased and applied to equipment to reduce the likelihood of even short-term armor/weapon durability penalties.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63249-on-combat-item-swapping-and-armor-deterioration/page-2

"TRX850"

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I agree it doesn't really suit this style of CRPG. But it depends how you view degradation. Complete degradation into broken, irreparable, irreplaceable scrap won't fly with anyone.

And temporary, encounter-only debuffs seem a bit artificial and not really a threat. What I was getting at a few posts back is the idea that your weapon is a bit like your character: it's fully functional until it reaches 0 HP. Then it enters a "state", but not unconsciousness. Just degraded. Reduced to about two thirds of its base stats until you fix it. The easiest way would be to camp and regain half the item HP free of charge, assuming you had a normal whetstone (a few GP from blacksmith merchant) or a requisite armour repair talent. Of course, at low levels, you could just replace the items from regular loot drops. The question is, how do you adapt as you gain levels and acquire magical arms and armour? Do you keep paying a blacksmith to repair them fully, or do you choose a longer term strategy via talents and skills and do it yourself?

Think of the weapon/armour as being "Enfeebled".

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63249-on-combat-item-swapping-and-armor-deterioration/page-3

List of great ideas:

-Magical items are very rare, gold for consumables: l

-Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affect NPCs differently: l

-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements: l

-Temporary abstract armour degradation in combat, repairs are "automagical": l

-Armours and weapons can get "enfeebled"/"fatigued" over time, easy repair: l

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hmm, multiquoting wasn't that reliable.

Well, I just felt I had to clarify that basically this thread is also an ongoing poll, namely the list of ideas itself. Even if you don't any idea, you can still put an "l" or several "l"s on the list at the bottom of the last post if you strongly agree with any of the ideas. Just remmber to copy the list when you're done, like this (but I haven't voted again, coz I can't double-vote), so let me see them "l"s rolling in:

List of great ideas:

-Magical items are very rare, gold for consumables: l

-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements: l

-Temporary abstract armour degradation in combat, repairs are "automagical": l

-Armours and weapons can get "enfeebled"/"fatigued" over time, easy repair: l

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

List of great ideas:

-Magical items are very rare, gold for consumables: ll

-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements: ll

-Temporary abstract armour degradation in combat, repairs are "automagical": ll

-Armours and weapons can get "enfeebled"/"fatigued" over time, easy repair: ll

And adding:

-Party-members can have individual (non-party) quests in cities to showcase and challenge their personal strengths and weaknesses. l(osvir)

(http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62117-parties-in-cities/)

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Great find, JFSOCC! I'll that!

An better still, you just simplified my thread. Obviously, as long as we provide the forum link, we're good to go. Adding quotes is nice, but definitely not a good idea to make a mandatory feature here.

And adding:
-Party-members can have individual (non-party) quests in cities to showcase and challenge their personal strengths and weaknesses. ll

I'll add a new great idea by JonVanCaneghem:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63294-stash-the-unlimited-inventory-mechanic/page-3

Instead of just a meta-gamey super-deep stash, there can, among other things, exist scavengers/workers as part of that deep stash and they sorta work as jawas/Sherpa. They can help you do big hauls from dungeons, but you also bring to the table that their operations sometimes can blow up in your face: turning them into looters/robbers/plunderers stealing much of your precious loot.

And adding:
-Party-members can have individual (non-party) quests in cities to showcase and challenge their personal strengths and weaknesses. ll

-Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady: l

I'm confused. Since you said this was doubly functioning as a poll, if I want to just vote, I copy the latest post's list and then just add a tick to the ones I like?

-Magical items are very rare, gold for consumables: lll
-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements: lll

-Party-members can have individual (non-party) quests in cities to showcase and challenge their personal strengths and weaknesses. lll
-Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady: l

These ticks might be a little hard to exactly quantify past a handful. :p i.e: llllllllllllllllllllll

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Precisely, Bartimaeus!  :)

The more that vote on the great ideas that get added here, the better!  :)

As for the IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-problem, that is true, but at least it is space-efficient and it looks a bit like graphics, i.e. a bar of some sort. If it doesn't work, I'm sure we can come up with something better.

Keep voting up your favourite ideas, peeps!

This needs to get pinned if Indira takes responsibility of maintaining the master list.

What i would like to see are ways to earn a bit of cash, but for currency to be relatively difficult to obtain and not be so plentiful that every artifact that shows up in the shops to be readily available for us. So, put in ways to make a wage, either through use of skills or gambling mini games like they had in Dragon Quest and The Witcher.

I vote this gets pinned too, though that would mean IndiraLightfoot should have the ability to edit her first post indefinitely.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Thanks for the suggestion of pinning it, guys!  I hadn't thought about that.  :)

I could take editorial responsible for this thread, nemas problemas.

And keep scouring the boards for the ideas that you really like and believe in, I know I will. Pasting in a quote of the idea isn't mandatory, but providing a forum link to the idea is.

And just to keep things neat, here is the list as it stands:

-Party-members can have individual (non-party) quests in cities to showcase and challenge their personal strengths and weaknesses. lll

I've started digging into our great forums and unearthed two more great ideas I'd like to add to the list:

PsychoBlonde brought up the first:

"Put in some cool interesting non-weapon items please. In fact, these should be the vast majority of items, since you generally have, like, 12 slots for non-weapon items and can only use one (or at most, two) weapons at a time. Yes, I know there are more TYPES of weapons (cosmetically speaking) than there are types of belts or pants, but I'm perfectly happy if somebody in the party gets stuck with a dagger if the selection of magical rings isn't so small that the only person with 2 is my PC."

"Some type of artifact that can be inserted into your house or stronghold would be good."              

And Rjshae the other just above , all in the same thread, Oct 20, 2012: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61789-non-weapon-artifacts/

-Give magical non-weapon items much more love: l

-Magical artefacts for our houses and strongholds: l

• Like 1

I've dug up some more old treasure in the Gameplay and Mechanics forums:

Crusty came up with this Oct 6 2012, inspired by a Tim Cain quote:

"I was reading Tim Cain's Q&A on Reddit today and this quote stuck out in particular:

DTKT asks...
Are you guys designing some of the abilities/spells to be used in synergy with other spells? AKA, a grease spell and a fireball?

Yes! We love abilities (including spells) that leave side effects on the target that subsequent abilities can take advantage of. So we may give you an attack that has a chance to stun a target, and another attack that does extra damage on stunned targets. Or you have a spell that catches targets on fire, and another that causes explosions on burning targets. These abilities work fine on their own, but when you learn the combinations, you will be much more effective.

It got me thinking, well, maybe spells can combine, but what about with the maps and environment?

I'm not necessarily talking about Silent Storm level of destructible environment, but wouldn't it be fun if the environment played an effect in how you played the game and you could use your abilities/spells to manipulate it for better or worse?

What if you were in a mountainous region of the gameworld? Temperatures are freezing cold, the wind chilly and the snow becoming more and more bothersome. It stands to reason that your party (and any enemies) would have to deal with the environment as much as each other and plan accordingly.

Fire spells become ineffective, frost spells become more deadly. Fatigue wastes away much quicker, movement speed is slower and abilities that focus on conservation of movement/energy become much more useful.

Beyond environmental effects, there's also potential for having environments that interact better with certain types of souls, as well as having environmental interaction have involvement in combat and puzzles. Using physical abilities to demolish small fences and walls, hurting enemies on the other side and/or creating tactical openings.

Using fire spells to clear thick shrubs and vines in a forest and discovering a secret path, etc etc."

And Rjshae added a synergetic idea to this:

"Since the view is always isomorphic and downward facing, it would be nice to have a time indicator panel that also showed the weather conditions, including something to say whether it's hot or cold. (Pretty sky pictures with moving clouds are a plus.) A well-done implementation would allow skilled players to guess the pending weather conditions and try to take shelter before a big storm hit. It would also be realistic if the fog of war was impacted by the weather; heavy rain, thick fog, or night should make it much more difficult to map the area."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61148-environmental-interaction-and-effects/

-Give magical non-weapon items much more love: l

-Magical artefacts for our houses and strongholds: l

-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party: l

-Nice UI for weather and temperature, including an adaptive fog of war: l

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

-Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady: ll

-Give magical non-weapon items much more love: ll

-Magical artefacts for our houses and strongholds: ll

-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party: l

added a few l's

Edited by JFSOCC

---

Great, JFSOCC!

I've just edited the listing descriptions for the ideas and made them as brief as possible:

-Magical items are very rare, gold is for consumables: lll
-Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affects NPCs differently: l
-Armour and weaponry can get "enfeebled"/"fatigued" over time, easy repair: ll
-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses: lll
-Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady: ll
-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party: l

Adding a new great idea, this time by Some guy on Feb 7 2013:

The use of guns on the locks of doors and chests. I've added that it could be dangerous, and it would waste ammo.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63310-knock-knock/page-2

-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses: lll

-Guns can be used on certain doors and chests to open them: l 

Just adding a new link to the list of great ideas, namely to an entire thread started by Hormalakh, which is flowing over with very nice and innovative ideas on the cipher class:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63205-ciphers-inspirations-and-their-mechanics/

Adding each one of them to the list would be overkill, so I'll just call it innovatice cipher ideas on the list.

-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses: lll

-Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters: l

In the same vein as my last post, there is a very nice thread brewing with nice pointers and ideas on which quests PE would benefit from, so I'll add a link to the entire thread here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63348-favorite-type-of-quest/

Then, I'll try to summarize it a bit and add it to the great list of ideas:

-Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters: l

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals: l

Another great thread, started by Hormalakh: It's about dialogue options, and one solution proposed there is to mark the tone of options, so that the same senctence can be reused (saves time for OEI) in cases which is not only tone of voice but linked to skills such as diplomacy, intimidate, lying, etc.

Here's the link: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63314-an-idea-for-a-future-game-mechanic-pe2/

-Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters: l

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals: l

-Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options: l

• Like 1

Just adding I's:

-Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affects NPCs differently: ll
-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements: llll
-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses: llll
-Give magical non-weapon items much more love: lll
-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party: ll
-Nice UI for weather and temperature, including an adaptive fog of war: ll

-Guns can be used on certain doors and chests to open them: ll

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals: ll

-Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options: ll

Edited by Jenda

Just adding I's to where I haven't before.

-Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affects NPCs differently: ll

-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements: llll

-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses: llll

-Give magical non-weapon items much more love: lll

-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party: ll

-Nice UI for weather and temperature, including an adaptive fog of war: ll

-Guns can be used on certain doors and chests to open them: lll

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals: lll

-Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options: lll

---

Just l'in it up.

-Magical items are very rare, gold is for consumables: llll

-Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affects NPCs differently: lll

-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements: lllll

-Temporary abstract armour degradation in combat, repairs are "automagical": lll

-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses: lllll

-Give magical non-weapon items much more love: llll

-Magical artefacts for our houses and strongholds: lll

-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party: lll

-Nice UI for weather and temperature, including an adaptive fog of war: lll

-Guns can be used on certain doors and chests to open them: llll

-Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters: ll

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals: llll

-Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options: llll

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hi, and thanks for bringing some new l's to this list of great ideas!  :)

I've added links to the list itself, perhaps it will get more readable as it gets longer and the l's pile up.

-Magical items are very rare, gold is for consumables

link: llll

-Loot is "branded/tagged", origin of items affects NPCs differently

link: lll

-Crafted magical items are few, unique and true achievements

link: lllll

-Temporary abstract armour degradation in combat, repairs are "automagical"

-Armour and weaponry can get "enfeebled"/"fatigued" over time, easy repair

link: ll

-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses

-Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady

-Give magical non-weapon items much more love

-Magical artefacts for our houses and strongholds

-Maps, weather and environment affecting spells and the party

-Nice UI for weather and temperature, including an adaptive fog of war

-Guns can be used on certain doors and chests to open them

-Innovative ideas for strategic cipher abilities before and during encounters

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals

-Icons marking the tone and skill implemented when picking dialogue options

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

I'm adding the great idea of a spell-casting system that is just as flexible as the use of various weapons and fighting combos. Any magic use should be able to weave spells in acoordance to environment and the encounter itself. Tweaking fire into points or raining fire balls or just a burning wall of fire, or combining spell effects into appropriate mixes for the encounter. Here's the link: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63143-spellcasting/page-2

-Individual party-member quests in cities to challenge their personal strengths & weaknesses

-Beast-of-burden teams embodying the deep stash; they are useful and sometimes shady

-Quests, or rather objectives, centered on discovery, intrigue, info and non-fetch, non-kill X critters-goals

-Flexible and intuitive spell effects that can be adjusted to fit encounters and environment

link: l

Trashman just came up with this neat idea (the link: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63120-money-in-project-eternity-get-rid-of-adventurer-based-economy/page-5):

A system which keeps track of how long you use a particular weapon. In the beginning it's just an ordinary weapon, but over time you get rewarded with familiarity bonuses, and even later quests and other deeds can make it magical. The longer you have it and use it (and perhaps repair it), the more interesting weapon familiarity rewards await.

-Flexible and intuitive spell effects that can be adjusted to fit encounters and environment

-Sticking to a weapon will set off familiarity rewards and even quests over time