Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Creatures in Project Eternity

Creatures Monsters Enemies

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

- Spider Mummy        [Disease - Infestation of Maggots]

...Ignoring the issues:
A. who would mummify a spider?
B. can a spider even be mummified?

Mummification precludes the presence of maggots.

Furthermore, maggots have medicinal uses, they can and are sometimes used in modern medicine to remove necrotic tissue from wounds. Yes, I am defending the honor of maggots.

A. Some interesting sub-culture that reveres spiders. One we've not seen before. That's why it's different.

B. (From the Monster Manual) -- Mummies defend tombs and other sacred places against intrusion, striking down foes with a deadly rotting disease.

This is a fantasy game. Infestation of Maggots is listed as a Druid spell. And so for variety, instead of Mummy Rot, I put that spell description there.  Most diseases in RPGs are handled with similar effects or state changes. It was just something different, that's all.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

... A person from a culture that practices mummification, who was magically cursed and turned into a spider, along with his spouse/family, and who mummified them when they died, using spider silk instead of cloth bandages?

And, and... maybe he took this mummified spider-person to some other sorcerer/magic person (or used some relic/artifact/device) to put a curse on all the maggots he stuffed them with, so that people who were strolling along and bumped into the mummified spider-person would, IF they successfully bested it in combat, say "Oh hey! Maggots! I was almost out of these!" and take them back home where they practice medicine in their village, and utilize them in the treatment of a variety of appropriate wounds/infections, unknowingly spreading a petulent, mummified-spider-person disease! O_O

• TRX850 likes this

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

...Ignoring the issues:
B. can a spider even be mummified?

Mummification precludes the presence of maggots.

Furthermore, maggots have medicinal uses, they can and are sometimes used in modern medicine to remove necrotic tissue from wounds. Yes, I am defending the honor of maggots.

A. Some interesting sub-culture that reveres spiders. One we've not seen before. That's why it's different.

B. (From the Monster Manual) -- Mummies defend tombs and other sacred places against intrusion, striking down foes with a deadly rotting disease.

This is a fantasy game. Infestation of Maggots is listed as a Druid spell. And so for variety, instead of Mummy Rot, I put that spell description there.  Most diseases in RPGs are handled with similar effects or state changes. It was just something different, that's all.

A. Fine, you'd have a point... if not for B.

B. You just ignored my point entirely and culled a definition of mummies from something that is not involved in P:E in any way, both by choice and for legal reasons. Because you can't actually address the idea of whether or not a spider can be mummified. Answer: no. What does mummification entail? The removal of internal organs and bodily fluids. How does a spider move? Hydraulically. Its legs are moved literally by the movement of blood through them. That's why they curl up when they die, the blood pressure that extends them is gone.

Finally, Project Eternity is not Neverwinter Nights. Don't cite outside sources from other IPs as though it were "canon" evidence to support your claim.

Edited by AGX-17, 03 February 2013 - 08:50 PM.

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

A. Fine, you'd have a point... if not for B.

B. You just ignored my point entirely and culled a definition of mummies from something that is not involved in P:E in any way, both by choice and for legal reasons. Because you can't actually address the idea of whether or not a spider can be mummified. Answer: no. What does mummification entail? The removal of internal organs and bodily fluids. How does a spider move? Hydraulically. Its legs are moved literally by the movement of blood through them. That's why they curl up when they die, the blood pressure that extends them is gone.

Finally, Project Eternity is not Neverwinter Nights. Don't cite outside sources from other IPs as though it were "canon" evidence to support your claim.

Allow me to stroke your ego and tell you how much of a towering intellect you are, good sir.

But this is a fantasy game, and I was citing historic RPG reasons why a mummified spider and maggot infestation are not beyond exclusion. The purpose of the list was to get people thinking about creature variations that might inspire new game content.

And I will continue to cite outside sources if it suits the point I am making. Thankyou.

The game is in pre-production, and in case you hadn't noticed, there are thousands of posts on these forums that link to outside content to provide examples. I don't think people assume their links are "canon" in any way, so I don't know why you brought that up.

I also note that from reading your other posts that you tend to play things safe, by only ever commenting (usually in an unhelpful or irritating manner) on other people's discussions, and you are yet to post your own first suggestion on the P:E forums.

I, and I'm sure many of us here, wait with great anticipation for your first original and entertaining suggestion. Then I believe we'll be entitled to comment on your idea.

Now. Would you care to add any useful ideas to this thread?

• Wirdjos and JFSOCC like this

Gyges

Gyges

Pit Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Lovecraftian/The Thing-like creature, formless mass of flesh gone insane. Compounds its considerable mass, growing skin and emulating bone to imitate people. Picture a bunch of skinless tentacles, mouths and eyes going at you, exploding out of what you thought was a lost child. Hope you've got a torch and a barrel of oil or a sorcerer with you.

Edited by Gyges, 04 February 2013 - 04:24 AM.

• TRX850 and Lephys like this

tychokepler

tychokepler

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Lets seem some North American Lumberjack creatures;

Hodags, Hugags, Axe-Handle Hounds, Snolligosters, Agropelters, Squonks, Slide-Rock Bolters, Cactus Cats, etc

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9017 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hodags, Hugags, Axe-Handle Hounds, Snolligosters, Agropelters, Squonks, Slide-Rock Bolters, Cactus Cats, etc

Cactus Cats? Are those anything like the ones in Piers Anthony's Xanth? Heheh. (I'm guessing not, but that's what came to my mind)

tychokepler

tychokepler

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Cactus Cats? Are those anything like the ones in Piers Anthony's Xanth? Heheh. (I'm guessing not, but that's what came to my mind)

I had to look up a description, but actually yes! They're one and the same.

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Bicephalous (Two-Headed) Creature Variants:

- Trolls
- Wolves (Dire, Vampiric)
- Ogres
- Basilisks
- Golems
- Driders
- Giants
- Lycanthropes
- Skeletons
- ...and so on.

The second head could provide options ranging from extra bite attacks or gaze attacks, to additional spellcasting or taunting, to a better chance to avoid combat flanking.

• maggotheart likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Spider Zombies -- a parasitic worm takes over this giant spider, turning it into a necrotic creature that is driven to bite other creatures and spread the worm eggs. It's slower and tougher to kill than a typical giant spider, but is non-toxic (apart from the disease risk of the bite).

:skull: :cat:

• TRX850 likes this

maggotheart

maggotheart

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Bicephalous (Two-Headed) Creature Variants:

- ...and so on.

The second head could provide options ranging from extra bite attacks or gaze attacks, to additional spellcasting or taunting, to a better chance to avoid combat flanking.

And if there's multiple heads, we should be able to cut them off :devil:

• TRX850 likes this

Failion

Failion

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

a monster that looks like sloth from the goonies but with two heads!

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

scorpionfolk.jpgMonFaePG81.jpg

Scorpionfolk.  :ninja:

Edited by TRX850, 05 February 2013 - 09:44 PM.

• Wirdjos and Odglok like this

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

a monster that looks like sloth from the goonies but with two heads!

Would you have to give it TWO quarts of Rocky Road ice cream to toggle its hostility to neutral? :)

Mr. Magniloquent

Mr. Magniloquent

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I would like to see original creatures, with preference to anything Fey. That aside, behold this aquatic terror:Tentacle_monster_by_ziopredy.jpg

• rjshae, Wirdjos, TRX850 and 1 other like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

An enormous arthropod snake: basically a large, legless insect with a long segmented body and a toxic stinger tail. It has a similar ecology as the terrestrial snake, but is generally stockier and not quite as stealthy.

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Mageripper Swarm.  Tiny tentacled creatures that hunt down wizards and feed on their magic.

• Wirdjos and JFSOCC like this

OldRPG'sAreGood

OldRPG'sAreGood

Svef Addict of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, a few thoughts:

- Some manner of moving tree creatures, for example stumps. At first glance like any other tree stump, but then it gets up and comes at the player(or tries to sneak on the player, I can only imagine the feel if I'd find myself surrounded by tree stumps because I haven't paid that much attention to what's happening in my characters surroundings)

- Then another tree creature thing-y, an immobile tree, that has roots with what to attack from distance. Could be defensless up close but efficient from "range"

- A two headed ogre(or the sort) would IMO be nice as well, especially if there's an option to have it argue with itself or otherwise take advantage of it's two heads

- A big lizard with an extending and strong tongue(think chameleon hunting an insect, only the insect being replaced by the player and the chameleon being real big)

- As a weak undead type, maybe severed limbs like hands, heads and even feet moving on their own. A hand creeping towards you would be... well creepy, while a head bouncing at you even more so, and a lone feet jumping could prove a slight comedic relief(especially when it starts kicking the player)

- Hostile enviroment creatures, like attacking vines slashing at you from trees, something more of a trap than an actual creature actually

- Possessed animals? Becoming something like a killer rabbit maybe?

• Wirdjos and Lephys like this

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Mageripper Swarm.  Tiny tentacled creatures that hunt down wizards and feed on their magic.

You ripped my Mage! I just bought that Mage! -____-
  • Wirdjos likes this

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Would a two-headed Cyclops mean it had normal depth perception? :skeptical:

• Lephys likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Creatures, Monsters, Enemies