[Hardcore] Thoughts. Praying to Gods for survival?

http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/414930203056307948

George also talks a little bit about Woedica (click his name, to get to his Formspring account and you can see for yourself).

However, found this and thought "That would be really cool". The God thing that is, and praying for survival. [Tribute to God] stuff. [Camp]-stuff as well as [Temple]-stuff?

Thoughts?

You have fundamentally misunderstood both the question and the answer. In the scenario you're referencing, the player character is the god, one who must seek out and gather faith to become powerful enough to fend off attacks from more powerful deities. It's not about a mortal player praying to a deity for an extra life or what have you.

not sure how it relates to the article, but I like the idea of praying to a god for some break, and then having to do a task for that god as part of the bargain. and you might feel it cost you more than it delivered.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

There could be a 'Divine Favor' meter for each character, that increments whenever that character does something the god would approve of, and decrements if he does something the god would not approve of. Once it reaches a certain point, the character can "Call to God" and the deity will do something characteristic to help the character. Once the favour has been used up, the meter drops to zero and has to be built up by being faithful again.

Example: the character is a follower of Arkanil, breaker of Cages and patron of freedom and the great open plains. He gains the favour of Arkanil by attacking a slaver camp and freeing many slaves. During the battle, the slavers catch the character in a net, and he can't escape. His Divine Favour meter is now full, so he appeals to Arnakil to aid him. In a flash of divine power, the net is incinerated and the character can escape, boosted by a gust of wind that propels him forward at a fast rate of speed.

Edited by maggotheart
  • Like 2

Having deity-specific feats that can only be acquired as a divine act (and taken away as an act of divine retribution) may be a nice way of signifying the favor of a god. For example, a person in the particular favor of Woedica may gain a feat of Inspired leadership that allows the character to rally the party from a fear effect, once per day.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Now that I think of this praying could be utilized for cleric spells, and sorry if they already said how will it look, I may have missed that update, if so please ignore this post.

Cleric could get his spells from praying to god, by praying enough and offering certein sacriface he could either get his cleric mana points ( divine favors) that he would used to cast spells, or make it more alchemical/Ultima like with certein combination of Sacriface and holy words would give diffren spells that could be used .

Having deity-specific feats that can only be acquired as a divine act (and taken away as an act of divine retribution) may be a nice way of signifying the favor of a god. For example, a person in the particular favor of Woedica may gain a feat of Inspired leadership that allows the character to rally the party from a fear effect, once per day.

It's probably better to keep it simple like this rather than use a meter. I do think there should be ways to increase your favor with your deity, maybe increasing the strength of the feat or granting additional feats - maybe even a small feat tree for each deity.