Orgins  

57 members have voted

1. 1. That type of orgins/history or biografy whoud you like to see in PE ? (one answer)

• Full orgin mechanics (you start in difrent location at the beginning) (Dragon Ange: Orgins, Tample of Elemental Evil)
    • Some historical "Feats" or "Perks", you chose your bio from list at the beginning of adventure but you start game in same place regardless of your orgin) (NWN2)
    • Some kind of "One" orgin that suits every class (Mass Efect)
    • Only in description that nobody see but myself .. (Nwn, BG)
    • I want to start as a "White card" with no axtrodinal history (as peasant, farmer or other)
    • I want to start as a "White card" becouse of my amnesia and then discover my past thru game
    • Other
  2. 2. What do you think anout orgin features in game ? (What they change) (multi answer)

• Every orgin shoud change the way as peaople think about me.
    • Orgins shoud have mechanical rewards (+2 to atack - 2 for persuation when choosing mercenery orgin)
    • Should change my starting opinion in fractions
    • Should unlock quests or other way to snd quests. (or close some)
    • Should affect other NPC (for exampe if you start as killer some of them can be dead allready in main quest)
    • Should change whole world (if you help someone, that "Someone" can cause a war between coutries and whole game becomes diffrent)
    • Should grand special "Reactions" to player and special dialogs(for exapme in mage orgin some dude when meet can say "ooo.. a powerfull mage" but in assasin orgin he says "ohh, you killed my doggy you WILL PAY !"
    • Should grant me special abiliytis "Mercenery Rage, or Noble Education"
    • Other
  3. 3. What part of the main story shoud orgin change ? (one answer)

• Everything, complatly difrent storyline
    • Most of it, but shoud have some simmilarytis
    • Some big part but mainly story shoud be simmilar regardles on orgin
    • only beginning and some moments in game
    • ony start of the game
    • Almost nothing, one major story for every orgin but we can some difrences on other things but start is the same.
    • Nothing, i don't want to see that my butcher had any form of history
    • Idon't care/ don't have opinion

Inspired by Dragon age orgins and Witcher i think that orgin or some kind of biografy/ history shoud be one of main part of "Role Playing" part of the game. That's of course not a hudge discovery but i want to se your point of view.

Regardles of many peoples opinion about DA .. Orgin system was some good part of that game .. a part that BG characters where most week .. in my opinion.

I also think that "General" biografy text like in NWN or BG system was very week. Becouse i whint that not only companions shoud have some part of motivations, ambitions but also a player.

The part of making "Decisions" in Witcher was one of best in my opinion ever made. There are no "Pure evil or good" decisions there and we must wait for consecuences so no reloading :p

ps. Please don't post pinions like "I let devs decide" becouse we are not controling them and they will do what they want regardles of our opinion. But you shoud have some preferences about "Orgins" in general ?

thank for attention

Edited by Ulquiorra
  • Like 1

I don't know if full origin mechanics are a good idea. While I thoroughly enjoyed it in Dragon Age: Origins, it felt a bit rushed. I like the different possibilities that you had in Arcanum a lot better. Also origin stories kind of limit the character you can play while choosing from different attributes and features is just a tool to form your character.

• Like 1

Elan_song.gif

We've had this thread before. In principle I think it's a good idea but I thought Dragon Age: Origins did it poorly, I didn't really care about the origins, it did feel rushed, like they didn't really put much effort into them. I prefer Arcanum's style, where you develop the back story of your character, but then I prefer that type of RPG, I felt in Dragon Age: Origins and the Neverwinter Nights games that I was always closely following a very linear narrative instead of being placed in a world to explore like older RPGs.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot
  • Like 1

i'd definitely like a bit of backstory depending on my race/culture and why i am where i am at the beginning of the story...but I think a bit of background on class is in order too. For example, a different mentor character who plays a minor role depending on what class you are, someone who started you out on your profession...it adds a bit of flavor without intruding too much.

I do like a backstory, especially if it is relevant to the main story in general.  That's one problem that I have with a number of games.  There tends to be a disconnect.  Why is my guy putting his life on the line to combat these guys?  All too often the answer is "Because they're there" or "They tried to kill him!" or "But they're the bad guys!  Shut up and start swinging."  Well yes, all of those would give you a reason to fight, but that's you and just about every single other person they've ever crossed paths with.  Are we playing just one random dude from the masses, or does he has special reason to risk everything embarking on this journey of certain death along with his companions?  Having a backstory that's relevant to the main plotline in some way always tends to draw me in than games that don't have any such device.  Even if the answer to that initial question is just "Because that's who this guy is, he just won't stand for this murderous injustice" or "He is strongly driven by a lust for power", a properly done backstory helps define not only how the character might've ended up where his is now, but also the aspects that make him who he is.

Player character backgrounds that affect the story and NPC interaction in a significant way are something I've been advocating in about a dozen threads since the P:E board opened up. Not racially-focused, though. The whole concept of race = capabilities is a tired trope and borderline racist in games like The Elder Scrolls where redguards, as described by the games/lore, are a flagrantly racist stereotype of african-americans.

Background should be more about experience (since the soul is a big part of the game, it could be theoretically interesting if a reincarnated soul could posses some latent residual memory of past experiences like the Nameless One,) less about lineage or race. It doesn't matter what race you are if you spent half of the last decade as a blacksmith's apprentice and the other 5 as a journeyman smith. You're going to have the qualities and skills of a journeyman of that trade as a result of doing that work.

Bodybuilders aren't born as huge rippling masses of hard muscle, after all. In terms of both brain and body, you have to exercise them to make them stronger. An elf who never learned to use a bow isn't going to have a "natural racial aptitude" for it unless elves have a malformed back and one arm significantly stronger than the other (archers are easily identifiable archaeologically because the frequent use of a bow distorts the spine and, while making both arms strong, leaves the string-drawing arm significantly stronger. Furthermore, evidence of the size and strength of a muscle can be determined from the degree of wear the muscle's tendons left on the bones they ran accross.)

Edited by AGX-17

It might be interesting to have a "custom" option. Similar to games like Master of Orion and such, where there are a bunch of presets that you can choose(ie Races in MoO), or make your own. Say for instance choosing custom gets you 2 points to spend on your "background" traits, say a +1 to a skill, and maybe +1 to your reputation with a faction. You could then also take penalties to get you more points to spend on benefits, all complete with a text box that allows you to describe your own background. Some of the traits could be linked to little moments in the game that change how you can deal with it, or open/close areas.

Just an idea.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Player character backgrounds that affect the story and NPC interaction in a significant way are something I've been advocating in about a dozen threads since the P:E board opened up. Not racially-focused, though. The whole concept of race = capabilities is a tired trope and borderline racist in games like The Elder Scrolls where redguards, as described by the games/lore, are a flagrantly racist stereotype of african-americans.

And what was recist in them ? That they where one of the best wariors or becouse they are diffrent race then nord or imperial .. sory im not racis but having black nord or santaclaus is to much for me ...

I would prefer Arcanum style with some more in depth game relations for a few of the backgrounds.  For example choosing Sold Your Soul would at a point during a quest where normally you would be able to spare the life of a mislead enemy, the creature you sold your soul to would temporarily override your mind and murder the poor sod.  If your an aristocrat being able to enter a high end noble establistment should be able to be completed without the need of doing a fetch quest first and things similar to that.

There's no way a pre-made backstory is going to satisfy my auteur insert desires.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'd prefer the Arcanum route personally, where you select some origin during character creation but whoever you are you enter the game at the same point. The problem with the Dragon Age: Origins thing is that then means you have a bunch of different origins, all of which require their own assets etc, which in DA:O's case meant that only 1 out of any 6 players would see any one bit of that content.  That's fine in theory, but I'd rather have a single origin and then tradeoff that same work to have 5xorigins worth of content i nthe main campaign that I'll actually get to play.    

There's no way a pre-made backstory is going to satisfy my auteur insert desires.

So what will satisfy you ?

leaving it blank, or answering vague questions about it throughout play.

Look, it's not something I care an immense deal about. if most people enjoy a pre-fab backstory, I can live with that. But I prefer not.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

So what will satisfy you ?

leaving it blank, or answering vague questions about it throughout play.

Look, it's not something I care an immense deal about. if most people enjoy a pre-fab backstory, I can live with that. But I prefer not.

Ah. so you want something like "white card" nuy more like "your character had amnesia an is thaing to get his memmories back" or more" He was farmer and he discovers himself thru the game" ?

While a Tabula Rasa has its drawbacks, I can live with it. But that's not what I meant. Mostly I'd like to fill in my backstory myself. I don't believe a game backstory for my character gives me the freedom to role-play 'me'. As I'll feel limited by my backstory. (unless by some magic the game backstory for me happens to be exactly what I wanted it to be.

• Like 1

---

Full origin mechanics all the way; let's face it, this is 2013, why not use a feat like this? Ten years ago it could be problematic but nowadays it sure is possible, and entertaining for players. Even good ol' PnP tabletop roleplays gave the opportunity to "invent" your characters background and history. Well, not just opportunity, reponsibility even. It has been done before, so devs probably should go for it, m'righ? High five! Anyone? No? Ok.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

For me this is low priority. PE doesn't enjoy the budget of a DA:O. Background feats are okay, but a limited set of deep background stories seems of little benefit.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

While a Tabula Rasa has its drawbacks, I can live with it. But that's not what I meant. Mostly I'd like to fill in my backstory myself. I don't believe a game backstory for my character gives me the freedom to role-play 'me'. As I'll feel limited by my backstory. (unless by some magic the game backstory for me happens to be exactly what I wanted it to be.

'YOU' dies against the first rabid squirrel it encounters while picking apples in a tree for the village grandma.

Warriors and mages, priests and rogues all are highly trained individuals that should have at least some basis for being as skilled as they are at game start.

edit: I think something like selecting some variables at startup would be fine...

for example:

what Village/city/culture were you raised in?

where did you, who did you recieve your training from?

do you worship a particular god?

what kind of soul do you have (or something along those lines)?

simple things like this help define a character rather than just spawning out of mid air and imagining a backstory which usually involves meta-gamey knowledge of the world and events to take place.

Edited by NerdBoner

I would prefer a blank slate to origins, and origins to a set background.

I prefer a blank slate because it allows me to create any background(that fits reasonably in to the game world) for my PCs.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For me this is low priority. PE doesn't enjoy the budget of a DA:O. Background feats are okay, but a limited set of deep background stories seems of little benefit.

Yeah but the most money for DA-O went to graphics, animations and cut-scenes also in progarming .. Even in PE those thing will propably have 50-60 % or budget. (also include music) but in DAO it was propably 80%.

Writhing part and adding some 30min or 1 hour mission will not even take 2% of budget. Even in BG you had small story at the beginning .. crating even 6 or 8 variants of beginning will tak even less if all orgins will have place in same city ...

If you have 8 orgins in difrant citys you simply add ne content to existing citys or locations .. even 16 orgnins is not big deal if you alrady crated most on the world. The most par is to crate 16 or 8 variations of dialogs, quest and even all those "Diffrences" .. but still i think that even alchemy will take more ..

By te way, stronghold, house, megadungeon, enchanted music, 6 races, cultures, subcultures, fractions (like in NV), gods, 11 classes, mayby multiclassing or possible big customazation of existing classes, magic, firearms, and massive world... yes PE has Very limitted resorces .. expecionaly that we reached 4.3 milion but prime goal was 1.1 ... ech even adding a new longsword will rebalance game ..

hahaha

Edited by Ulquiorra

the origin feature in dragon age origins I believe bioware added to draw the player to the game world. Without out it the games story will not have enough draw the player into the game world and will feel like a bad neverwinter nights module. The story alone has little exciting plot development you are helping raise a army to fight a horde of monsters. 

Take a look at Elder Scrolls: Arena :)

Can you say somthing more ? Besides of horrible gaphic level i don't understand your poin :)

Basically you choose your Race at character selection ("Where are you from?") and that's where you will start when you've finished the first Dungeon. From that point you will go towards the main quest.

You can find "The Elder Scrolls: Arena" and "Daggerfall" for free over at Bethesda.