Dragons  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about putting Dragons in eternity ? (one answer)

• Yes putt them in original D&D style.
    • Yes we can have dragons but they must be little overdone and more original.
    • Yes but they must be complatly chenged then original "Dragons"
    • No, But i will not object if there are gonna be mosters that risemble dragons (Wywerns) but are not called "Dragons"
    • No, but if they are mentioned (not seen in game) i will survive
    • No, for putting any kind of dragons.
  2. 2. If they are gonna be added regardles of your opinion that non visual features they shoud have ? (multichoice)

• Be simple monsters to kill (xp bags)
    • Be more complexed being that are not simple "Interligent-Animals". Own moral codes, own drems etc.
    • They shoud have simmilar socaiety to ours, also have fractions, religions, history etc.
    • Shoud be neutral to humans and others (orlans etc)
    • Shoud be Agresive to humans and others ....
    • Shoud be friendly to humans anf others and even help them.
    • there should be a lot of them
    • there should be very little of them.
    • They are avoiding humans and others
    • They are not avoiding anyone.
  3. 3. And Visual Features ? (multichoice)

• should be very varied (one speciem more reptilian looking ther more fish looking)
    • They shoud look very simmal or even identical.
    • They shoud have mixed features of other animals (Some elemental features, some bird features etc)
    • Shoud look scary and more monstrously
    • More Animal like (fish, bird, reptilian etc)
    • More elemental like (fire elemental etc)
    • More demonish, angelic, god-like ....
    • More humanoid-like
    • other.
    • Undead likes.

it sounds more like you're asking for either Skyrim dragons or some sort of fur***/otherkin race. The fundamental idea behind a dragon in Western myth is that it's a terrible monster (they don't have opposable thumbs or tools or societies.) In Eastern myth and pre-Buddhist religion they're the highest of Gods and are serpentine creatures that tend to dwell in heaven/the sky. Neither mythos implies any kind of anthropomorphic traits beyond intelligence, if any is implied.

Well originam myths aboyt elfs are complatly difftren then elf that we will gonna se in PE. Dwarws also has almost no features of mythical dwarwes. Mythical dwarws were very small, elfs has more features of faires then humans.

If the devs decide that dragons are gonna be friendly pets of humans becouse it fitt in their world your argumentation like "Meke them like in myth or don't" is simply pointless.

I like dragons is skyrim (withs some mods that make them stroger) but i don't want that type of dragons in Eternety. the fist type of dragons more simmiliar more to orgininal D&D dragons becouse if you read cerfully you whoud seen that i sad "Neurtal to humqans and loners, avoiding humans" in skyrim they where agresive and looking for humans so complatly diffrent .. and of course where weak.

My secound thout about dragons is hidden empire and i simple don't understand sentence "ur***/otherkin race" mayby my engish is not good enouth so please use other word to describe your opinion.

Why i am for anciend hidden empire ? Becouse it more original then "EXp bags" or "common mosters scenarios" and becouse i think that in some ruins that we se in artworks (see endless paths) we se some andcien ruins of older civilization and my hidden empire concept fitts. Secodry i like "Slayers" dragons, also origninal. Besides "In Eastern myth and pre-Buddhist religion they're the highest of Gods" also fittis to hidden empire scenario for exampe simple farmers see a dragon on the sky and disapears and starting to think that he is a god but in reality he just enterd a invisible dragon town

suspended in the air.

Besides if you knew more about medival history in wester europe, dragons where more to common with Devil it's self, Dragon was a devil or his servant puppet and also comes from hell ... so what ? We donna input dragons as devils ?

To the topic

Another humanoid dragon

Bahamut_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

Edited by Ulquiorra
  • Like 1

it sounds more like you're asking for either Skyrim dragons or some sort of fur***/otherkin race. The fundamental idea behind a dragon in Western myth is that it's a terrible monster (they don't have opposable thumbs or tools or societies.) In Eastern myth and pre-Buddhist religion they're the highest of Gods and are serpentine creatures that tend to dwell in heaven/the sky. Neither mythos implies any kind of anthropomorphic traits beyond intelligence, if any is implied.

Well originam myths aboyt elfs are complatly difftren then elf that we will gonna se in PE. Dwarws also has almost no features of mythical dwarwes. Mythical dwarws were very small, elfs has more features of faires then humans.

If the devs decide that dragons are gonna be friendly pets of humans becouse it fitt in their world your argumentation like "Meke them like in myth or don't" is simply pointless.

I like dragons is skyrim (withs some mods that make them stroger) but i don't want that type of dragons in Eternety. the fist type of dragons more simmiliar more to orgininal D&D dragons becouse if you read cerfully you whoud seen that i sad "Neurtal to humqans and loners, avoiding humans" in skyrim they where agresive and looking for humans so complatly diffrent .. and of course where weak.

My secound thout about dragons is hidden empire and i simple don't understand sentence "ur***/otherkin race" mayby my engish is not good enouth so please use other word to describe your opinion.

Why i am for anciend hidden empire ? Becouse it more original then "EXp bags" or "common mosters scenarios" and becouse i think that in some ruins that we se in artworks (see endless paths) we se some andcien ruins of older civilization and my hidden empire concept fitts. Secodry i like "Slayers" dragons, also origninal. Besides "In Eastern myth and pre-Buddhist religion they're the highest of Gods" also fittis to hidden empire scenario for exampe simple farmers see a dragon on the sky and disapears and starting to think that he is a god but in reality he just enterd a invisible dragon town

suspended in the air.

Besides if you knew more about medival history in wester europe, dragons where more to common with Devil it's self, Dragon was a devil or his servant puppet and also comes from hell ... so what ? We donna input dragons as devils ?

To the topic

Another humanoid dragon

You make some good points

@ Agx

Sorry my friend but he has you there when he mentions that if we want dragons to be typical of mythology it wouldn't make sense in the context of a fantasy setting like PE.

So lets discuss different and relative ways Dragons can appear in PE

I like the whole Dragon civilization concept. What about a idea where dragons once ruled vast parts of the PE world, humans and other races were there slaves but then thousands of years ago the Dragons were overthrown and the races freed themselves so they could decide there own destiny. This could lead to dragon gods who still exist but scheme of returning to ruling the lands, very powerful dragons who are descendent's of  the original dragon rulers and dragon cults who long for a time where the dragons can return to power. But either way the dragons would have there own society and civilization

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The one thing that bugs me most about the majority of dragons in fantasy games.. They are supposed to be these immensely powerful, intelligent beings who love to have hoards (for one reason or another)... so why are they usually presented as a slug-a-thon fighting beast loitering around in a cave waiting for adventurer's to come fight them?

Have the dragon as the mastermind pulling strings, have minions and henchmen and be the one quietly running a grand trading network across the continent.. funneling the odd treasures across and not just being some brooding, waiting around for other people to do stuff.

That's one of the reasons I like the dragons in Shadowrun so much. They have plans, they have politics, they have intrigue, and they use their intelligence.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Dragons were originally a "game device" in the PnP tabletop era. They were seen as the ultimate high risk / high reward scenario. But now that complex cRPGs can handle far more detail and cinematic storytelling, it's a bit like having a classic magic trick explained to us, and now we see them in a mundane light. A set of numbers. And we question their purpose for solitude and greed. In some ways it's a shame to deconstruct them. And I hope that by doing so we don't modernize them too much. If anything they should be re-mystified, not de-mystified. :dragon:

• Like 2

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

But can you imagine the frustration and mystery of peeling back layers, following minions.. going up against the potential big bad..only to find out there's that hidden claw pulling his strings? All of which slowly lead you from one encounter to another until finally the grand reveal of the mysterious and powerful OZ!  - wait.. I mean dragon.

And then to  end up in a rather civilised conversation, where you find out said dragon might be manipulative but isn't actually evil and is doing it for a grand vision....

The confusion then! :shifty:

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The world has dragons or has not, i'm fine either way.

If the dragons are in, I'm fine just hearing about them, not meeting. Given it's a low-mid-level adventure.

Anyway, I'm in the crowd that wants dragons be dragons. Not picking a D&D demonic Slaad and calling it a dragon.

Or picking a D&D dragon and calling it a demon slaad. Or picking a ghoul and calling it a vampire.

I would though, be fine if there was a dragon that'd turn out to be a giant crocodile or something.

If the D&D style dragons are in, I'm fine with them being anything between bigger than a big horse and bigger than a blue whale.

I'd prefer the ancient intelligent huge kind, but I'd be okay with smaller animal like ones. And fine with the latter growing into the former.

In some ways I would prefer a dragon encounter, without the dragon. A bit like a scripted event in which the party is overcome with never-before-experienced feelings of awe and insignificance. Like missing time after an alien abduction experience. They know they went into that cave and experienced *something*, but are unsure what led them to be in the place they are in now, even though they are somehow "heightened" by that experience. No need for big lizardy things and fire-breathing every time.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

I personally don't care how dragons look, but I want them to be incredibly powerful, somewhat rare, and have quite a bit of lore behind them. I don't want Skyrim dragons, because not only were they too common, but I saw one get killed by a god damn bear once.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Someone mentioned that dragons shouldn't be beatable.  I wouldn't be opposed to something like that.  Why should you be able to defeat every creature in the entire world?  They should be very rare, almost mythical like in Dragon Age (in that game they weren't as difficult as I would have liked), and if you see one, you should either run away or try to appease it (just examples, I'm sure the writers could come up with better encounters than that).

They should be awe-inspiring and formidable.  In my opinion it should take an army to defeat a dragon, not a group of 6, no matter how skilled.

Someone mentioned that dragons shouldn't be beatable.  I wouldn't be opposed to something like that.  Why should you be able to defeat every creature in the entire world?  They should be very rare, almost mythical like in Dragon Age (in that game they weren't as difficult as I would have liked), and if you see one, you should either run away or try to appease it (just examples, I'm sure the writers could come up with better encounters than that).

They should be awe-inspiring and formidable.  In my opinion it should take an army to defeat a dragon, not a group of 6, no matter how skilled.

I'm opposed to them being unbeatable, because I feel that it would be an arbitrary limit slapped on. I have no qualms with them being extremely powerful and difficult to defeat, but no invincibility please.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think that, for once, dragons should be extinct if they are ever mentioned, although having draconian races descended from them would be fine. It'd be more fun if there was an unknown kind of awe-inspiring creature than dragons, simply because the player will know nothing about the creature other than what is presented to them.

For example, let's say there was a some sort of forest boogeyman that gets whispered about. It's dismissed as random exaggerations until the player gets to a map named after the creature and keeps walking around giant pockets of devastation dotting the forest, with some of the smaller ones (that take up the entire screen) almost looking like... footprints. :)

Encountering a true dragon should be like staring into the sun. Automatic blindness and knowing your place in the universe.

• Like 1

Haha you go down to some dungeon ... you relaxing killing orc but sudenly something moves you turn back and see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_u76ZTXJY

Another good concepts of dragons

Crosis%252C+the+Purger.png

Edited by Ulquiorra

I'm opposed to them being unbeatable, because I feel that it would be an arbitrary limit slapped on. I have no qualms with them being extremely powerful and difficult to defeat, but no invincibility please.

Firstly, I didn't say they would be invincible, just that it would take an army with siege weapons perhaps to defeat them.  I don't know how powerful spells are in PE, but unless there are superpowerful spells, then it would be almost impossible to defeat them with only a handful of people.  Also, it's not an arbitrary limit, some things are not physically possible, and some things are.  They can be beat if humans have the numbers and planning.  Perhaps you can lead an attack on a dragon in the game with a small army at your disposal.

New take on Dragons, how about this:

The old king sits on his throne, a horned crown circling his brow. At his feet lie the treasures which conquered peoples and nations have lain there, a vast hoard. His past glories are only legend now, but his strength is still terrible and always he is clad in a heavy coat of mail. His slitted eyes carry all the weight and power of royalty, and to look into there depths is to be enchanted by a soul of immeasurable potency. Above his head fly the winged banners of his many armies, and these loyal warriors still stand by his side, poisoned by the hatred from his duplicitous forked tongue. His fiery rhetoric has brought bloody war and ruin to entire nations, for his words carry the hatred, greed and jealousy that taint his mighty spirit.

He is the Dragon, king of a vast empire.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

New take on Dragons, how about this:

The old king sits on his throne, a horned crown circling his brow. At his feet lie the treasures which conquered peoples and nations have lain there, a vast hoard. His past glories are only legend now, but his strength is still terrible and always he is clad in a heavy coat of mail. His slitted eyes carry all the weight and power of royalty, and to look into there depths is to be enchanted by a soul of immeasurable potency. Above his head fly the winged banners of his many armies, and these loyal warriors still stand by his side, poisoned by the hatred from his duplicitous forked tongue. His fiery rhetoric has brought bloody war and ruin to entire nations, for his words carry the hatred, greed and jealousy that taint his mighty spirit.

He is the Dragon, king of a vast empire.

Good one but make me corret if im wrong ... becouse of his "Sins" he was cursed with his entire army intu a dragon form or simple still is human and you are ironic ? :)

Not ironic exactly, more allegorical or maybe metaphorical. What dread beast has caused more bloodshed, spread more fire and death than a tyrannous conquerer who believes he is doing what is right? Of course who knows what beast lurk within a mans soul, perhaps his death would release the creature that has waited and watched the world of men through cold serpentine eyes. Perhaps he is how Dragons were born, long ages past. Just spitballing really.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Firstly, I didn't say they would be invincible, just that it would take an army with siege weapons perhaps to defeat them.  I don't know how powerful spells are in PE, but unless there are superpowerful spells, then it would be almost impossible to defeat them with only a handful of people.  Also, it's not an arbitrary limit, some things are not physically possible, and some things are.  They can be beat if humans have the numbers and planning.  Perhaps you can lead an attack on a dragon in the game with a small army at your disposal.

My mistake, I took " shouldn't be beatable" the wrong way I guess.

I think when it comes to really horrifying creatures we dont need to do much more than change up the human form enough so that it looks like us, but is still clearly not. Body-horror should really have seen much more use in the creature department. You can stretch your imagination as far as you can but nothing terrifies us more than

Yes I like to see some variation of dragon. How about instead of being the genius level intellect creatures like how they are in DnD. They are arrogant stupid douchebags. They do not prey, meddle or care about humans because it would just get them killed faster. They are not too powerful but practically immortal compared to DnD dragons. Because they have more survival instincts and are smart enough use their wings to fly away from fights they are going to lose. Less about being magical beings more about being top of the food chain.

Edited by Failion

My primary hope is that the degree of difficulty with managing to kill one involves good planning, good execution and luck to be successful. Successful means survival, Killing a Dragon should be a major career achievement. To make it even more interesting, completing the game does not require killing one.

I think that killing one in Ironman mode should be seen as a crowning achievement in the game.

• Like 1