Dragons  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about putting Dragons in eternity ? (one answer)

• Yes putt them in original D&D style.
    • Yes we can have dragons but they must be little overdone and more original.
    • Yes but they must be complatly chenged then original "Dragons"
    • No, But i will not object if there are gonna be mosters that risemble dragons (Wywerns) but are not called "Dragons"
    • No, but if they are mentioned (not seen in game) i will survive
    • No, for putting any kind of dragons.
  2. 2. If they are gonna be added regardles of your opinion that non visual features they shoud have ? (multichoice)

• Be simple monsters to kill (xp bags)
    • Be more complexed being that are not simple "Interligent-Animals". Own moral codes, own drems etc.
    • They shoud have simmilar socaiety to ours, also have fractions, religions, history etc.
    • Shoud be neutral to humans and others (orlans etc)
    • Shoud be Agresive to humans and others ....
    • Shoud be friendly to humans anf others and even help them.
    • there should be a lot of them
    • there should be very little of them.
    • They are avoiding humans and others
    • They are not avoiding anyone.
  3. 3. And Visual Features ? (multichoice)

• should be very varied (one speciem more reptilian looking ther more fish looking)
    • They shoud look very simmal or even identical.
    • They shoud have mixed features of other animals (Some elemental features, some bird features etc)
    • Shoud look scary and more monstrously
    • More Animal like (fish, bird, reptilian etc)
    • More elemental like (fire elemental etc)
    • More demonish, angelic, god-like ....
    • More humanoid-like
    • other.
    • Undead likes.

This therad is about dragons.

I make this thread becouse i saw many discusion about them in other threads.

My general opinion hav dragon shoud look like :

scary-fish.jpg?w=300

The best head for Aquatic like dragon in my opinion

And other for more elemental like

fire-element-wallpaper-06.jpg

And for undead dragon

441_max.jpg

Edited by Ulquiorra
  • Like 1

Yes to dragons, yes to diversity between dragons, not many, and those you find should be unbeatable

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Three words m, Iron Kingdoms style, complitly alien, maybe not even remotly dragon-like, Cthulhu style abominations.

I do not like this much. If it's not like a dragon, it's not a dragon to me. That's like those orcs who wre not like orcs. Just call the things something else if you want to create something entirely new.

My views on dragons are completely conservative: Powerful, ancient, flying reptiles. Either just powerful worldly creatures, or connected to a divine force like the dragons of Middle-Earth.

• Like 1

Yes to dragons, yes to diversity between dragons, not many, and those you find should be unbeatable

Nice pictures Op :)

I agree with the above post but you should be able to defeat them. Whats the point if you can't beat them?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nice pictures Op

I agree with the above post but you should be able to defeat them. Whats the point if you can't beat them?

well, near unbeatable. I heard in Skyrim you had dragons and they weren't even the fiercest beasts you could beat, they died quite quickly after a while. That's not what I think of when I think of dragons, when I think of dragons I think of (near) unbeatable doom machines you better not cross. With a mind like a cat. (similar to how Robin Hobb describes dragons)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Nice pictures Op

well, near unbeatable. I heard in Skyrim you had dragons and they weren't even the fiercest beasts you could beat, they died quite quickly after a while. That's not what I think of when I think of dragons, when I think of dragons I think of (near) unbeatable doom machines you better not cross. With a mind like a cat. (similar to how Robin Hobb describes dragons)

Makes sense, they should be very hard to defeat.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nice pictures Op

Makes sense, they should be very hard to defeat.

Hurting them shoud be very hard not talking even about defeating them.

Three words m, Iron Kingdoms style, complitly alien, maybe not even remotly dragon-like, Cthulhu style abominations.

I do not like this much. If it's not like a dragon, it's not a dragon to me. That's like those orcs who wre not like orcs. Just call the things something else if you want to create something entirely new.

My views on dragons are completely conservative: Powerful, ancient, flying reptiles. Either just powerful worldly creatures, or connected to a divine force like the dragons of Middle-Earth.

But there is a problem that technicly speaking dragons always were supposd to be some quasi-divine,abominations, it's just that currently in fantasy there is some values disonace, dragons that are greed , and complitly evil are considered shallow , dragons that are good ultimatley end up being just old guy who happens to be scaly , and has wings, divine element is complitly downplayed, and you end up with gigant lizard, who is either bag of exp or so human that why even bother to make him dragon.

I don't want them to be cthulhu rip-offs with tentacles and so on, I should have said Lovecraft style, when I see a dragon I want to see terror, something alien that my character, and any other character should fear. Something that is inteligent but doesn't have same values, or same morals.

This, not everything has to be "edgy and new" if it ain't broken, don't fix it. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

But will we be able to ride them?

Please make next thread about spears.

You want to ride a spear ?

:grin: no he is just being silly, please ignore him

John Milton 

Watched an old Disney film called "Dragonslayer" with the kids recently, very good implementation of a Dragon in that film, rather imaginatively called Vermithrax Perjorative. Quite awesome, in the old meaning of the word, not press button.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Letting my imagination run a muck...

In the lands before time there was many a fell creature, the likes of which are not seen in these modern times. Most such beasts well foul and unclean, claiming an inheritance of blood and pathos. Yet amongst these there were a sacred few who achieved a blissful state of ascendancy: the golden-souled ones. These superior beings took the form of the wyrm, a powerful reptilian beast with a sinuous body who could ascend the winds merely by channeling their inner spirit.

Time passed and the newly-ascended gods grew jealous of these mighty creatures, whereupon they dragged many a wyrm down by tainting their precious souls with foul desires. The spirit of these corrupted immortals ran red with a burning desire for retribution, and their souls lost the golden-hued aspect. These fallen wyrm now seek to corrupt and destroy those younger races that were created by the gods. Such wyrms are few now, but are still to be greatly feared as their tainted souls are far more powerful than any mere mortal. They be devious beings, these wyms, spinning complex plans in a web that can require many a lifetime to come to fruition. But wherever they intercede in the affairs of man, you can be sure that their ultimate goals do not favor the civilized races.

The tainted wyrms are not to be confused with reptilian beasts that bear their likeness, but lack their power. Such mundane beasts dwell in remote locations, where they prey upon other creatures much like any predator. Likewise, there remain yet a few golden-souled wyrms that remain above the fray, seeking only a greater enlightenment through contemplation and learning.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

But will we be able to ride them?

Please make next thread about spears.

I think werebears deserve a thread too.

I don't particularly like dragons, even less the trend to put them in every single game, but if they are in Project Eternity I want traditional winged mighty beasts. Something ancient, something to be feared and respected. They should be barely, if at all, beatable.

A few dragons could be cool. Just not in every cave or above every road. You know what I mean.

No quest involved (to find them, I mean), they should be something you just "bump into" while exploring.

Agree should be extremely hard to defeat, if defeating them is even what one wants to do.

I wouldn't mind the dragon itself giving you a sidequest, once you find it. eg, combat is not always necessary against them.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A few dragons could be cool. Just not in every cave or above every road. You know what I mean.

Skyrim ? :p

I personally have 2 concepts of dragons

1. As a ancient, brutal (but not entairly evil) Cratures that can live for ages, have supernatural (not nececerly spell magic system) powers and in general are loner that don't like company. This shoud work but theres one big reason ... if they so powerfull why they don't role world ? Mayby other race hunt most of them titans, humans etc. or mayby they generaly fighting ech other .. but if then why ?

2. As an ancient inteligent race that can even have hidden citys and are useing powerfull magic (yes spells) that human mages can dream to think of. They are abvoiding humans but are consern about world or dimencion it's self.

in first they can be generaly natural but suspicos for anywon in secoud they can be enemys of everyother powerfull onec that want to change existing world (demons, angels, gods etc) .

The first one is for more "Animal characteristic like" secound one more "sociayety-like" ... i like both of them and will be glad to see both of them (for exaple species A (loners) speciec B( hidden empire)

More humanoid oneHumanoid_dragon_by_TheBeke.jpg

DemonDragon2.jpg

And more diabolic like

demonic_dragon_by_luffie-d4n30gv.jpg

Why bother with dragons at all if you're not going to make them conform to historically-established myth? The entire point of putting a "dragon" in your game or story is to evoke the myth and legend that players or readers are already aware of.

And, come on, an Anglerfish is a fish, not a reptile. I've yet to hear of a culture in which stories of dragons are present but the dragons are not reptiles. Even a "sea serpent" is a "serpent." Why not just have a giant anglerfish if you want an anglerfish's ugly mug? Besides, how do you even make a super-deep sea creature variant (the super vicious-ugly kinds of anglerfish pictured by the OP live at depths that weren't accessible to man prior to the mid 20th century,) relevant to a game world where it's not likely they have any kind of submersible, much less one that can withstand the pressure of the ocean's blackest depths?

If dragons are there they should be dragons. Not as the poorly written focus like Skyrim or as the poorly written afterthought to justify the title like in Dragon Age.

If you want a giant spiky armadillo/ankylosaurus thing with praying mantis forelegs and a scorpion tail you should put in a Giant Spiky Armadillo/Ankylosaurus Thing With Praying Mantis Forelegs and a Scorpion Tail.

I personally have 2 concepts of dragons

1. As a ancient, brutal (but not entairly evil) Cratures that can live for ages, have supernatural (not nececerly spell magic system) powers and in general are loner that don't like company. This shoud work but theres one big reason ... if they so powerfull why they don't role world ? Mayby other race hunt most of them titans, humans etc. or mayby they generaly fighting ech other .. but if then why ?

2. As an ancient inteligent race that can even have hidden citys and are useing powerfull magic (yes spells) that human mages can dream to think of. They are abvoiding humans but are consern about world or dimencion it's self.

in first they can be generaly natural but suspicos for anywon in secoud they can be enemys of everyother powerfull onec that want to change existing world (demons, angels, gods etc) .

The first one is for more "Animal characteristic like" secound one more "sociayety-like" ... i like both of them and will be glad to see both of them (for exaple species A (loners) speciec B( hidden empire)

Ignoring the remarkably terrible spelling, it sounds more like you're asking for either Skyrim dragons or some sort of fur***/otherkin race. The fundamental idea behind a dragon in Western myth is that it's a terrible monster (they don't have opposable thumbs or tools or societies.) In Eastern myth and pre-Buddhist religion they're the highest of Gods and are serpentine creatures that tend to dwell in heaven/the sky. Neither mythos implies any kind of anthropomorphic traits beyond intelligence, if any is implied. Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1