My response to "which game should PE be like" poll

Poll options are:

• Baldur's Gate 1 or 2
  • Icewind Dale 1 or 2
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Temple of Elemental Evil

None of the above.  I'm hoping for an experience more along the lines of Mask of the Betrayer.  I played NWN2 to death and just bought the complete edition on GOG.com so I could get Mysteries of Westgate, the soundtracks, and have a backup if I manage to misplace my hard copy.  Frankly, I find it a little irritating it's not getting any mentions in the promos or polls since it's one of my favorite games of all time.

P.S. Haha for putting Call of Duty on there.

• Like 2

Mask is regularly compared to Planescape Torment (in terms of writing and themes) or Throne of Bhaal (in that they are both epic-level campaigns). Of those two elements, don't expect to see the latter - Obsidian has said that PE will more likely feel something more like level 5-15 or so.

jcod0.png

Dunno, but NWN2 had some annoying features.

The party member's (if set to autpilot) were rather stupid. If some party members died just pull the opponents to another room. Your unconscious party members would then stand up again. Teleporting of your main character if a dialog started.

And some other little details (e.g. no hitpoint rolling) were missing.

Poll options are:

• Baldur's Gate 1 or 2
  • Icewind Dale 1 or 2
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Temple of Elemental Evil

[x] none of the above

Because that is the correct answer.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Yeah and Oblivion and Skyrim, I mean come on this games are far more successful and popular than the old IE games combined. 

Call of Duty might be more successful, too, in terms of sales. Doesn't mean I want PE to be a shooter.

I would like PE to have the scope and freedom of Baldur's Gate, the enthralling atmosphere of Icewind Dale and the deep storytelling of Torment. :)

We already know that this game is going to have isometric 3D perspective, meaning its not a 3rd person camera. The reason why NWN2 wasn't part of the poll is because it wasn't as "point-click" as BG, IWD, PS:T. In these games there is no over the shoulder perspective and the graphics feel more like 2.5D than 3D. Thats why NWN2 wasn't an option. Its not the same style game. NWN2 was more like an Action-RPG while BG, IWD, and PS:T is more like a Strategy-RPG.

Edited by Silhouetteless

We already know that this game is going to have isometric 3D perspective, meaning its not a 3rd person camera. The reason why NWN2 wasn't part of the poll is because it wasn't as "point-click" as BG, IWD, PS:T. In these games there is no over the shoulder perspective and the graphics feel more like 2.5D than 3D. Thats why NWN2 wasn't an option. Its not the same style game. NWN2 was more like an Action-RPG while BG, IWD, and PS:T is more like a Strategy-RPG.

Welcome to the forums, Silhouetteless!  :)

I'm not sure if you've played these games, but calling NWN2 an action RPG while the others is "strategic RPG" (whatever that is) just feels so out of place.

I've played all games in the poll and heaps more.

Here's my little sum-up:

ToEE: nice mechanics, but too little RPG for me

BG: a classic, great story it really captured the pen-n-paper D&D feel well

BG 2: another classic, perhaps a bit more linear, but some story content was mindblowing

IWD 1: Decent story, but actually rather empty and shallow. Decent stuff

IWD 2: Storywise there was no improvement over IWD1, but D&D 3rd ed worked better in many ways for a computer game, also nice UI

Planescape: Yet another classic, where the writing and the story makes the whole game

NWN 1: Decent story, same goes for expansions. It was the toolset and server play that made it come to life like no other game before it

NWN 2: In parts, great story, MotB-expansion, marvellous story, Storm of Zehir, decent story

All of them can be described as click-fests in some regard, but more importantly, all of them were quite strategic RPGs very much thanks to nice implementations of D&D. Also, they are party-based games. Calling anyone of them "action RPGs" would be weird. They were not Diablo, Titan Quest or even Might & Magic. At least I think of hack-n-slash when I hear action RPG or point-n-click.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

All of them can be described as click-fests in some regard, but more importantly, all of them were quite strategic RPGs very much thanks to nice implementations of D&D. Also, they are party-based games. Calling anyone of them "action RPGs" would be weird. They were not Diablo, Titan Quest or even Might & Magic. At least I think of hack-n-slash when I hear action RPG or point-n-click.

I tend to think of them as character-based games, where emphasis is often put on character/s building/influence/story, as well an overall plot to tie beginning with end. Games like Diablo and the others you mention have pretty much zero emphasis on character, outside of choosing what skilltree to use to more effectively bash monsters. :)

That said, my (admittedly vague) memory of IWD1 was that while it did have a story, it wasn't really focused much on character compared to the BG's. So I can understand a bit where people are coming from when they say things like IWD more of an action/strategy-game or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think that :

In general gameplay shoud risenble NWN or BG or  icewind dale 1/2

In storyline ( Mask of the Betrayer and Witcher )

In Adulty (Witcher)

in Charecter personal deepnes (Witcher or Final fantasy 7 pr 8) (also emotional impact)

In romances (Witcher and/ or Alpha protocol)

In fractions (Fallout New Vegas or Gothic 1/2 )

In Alhemy and Crafting (Skyrim or Gothic 1/2)

in  athmospere (Dragon age, Neverwinter Nights, Witcher, Mask of the Betrayer and everything "DARK" )

And shoud NOT be like

NWN 2 in characters shallownes

D&D to compex level uping (Expecionaly in NWN)

In bugs for Gothic

In general code game that has no goos grafict but even modern systems can break on it (NWN 2)

In Romances like Mass efect 2

in Crafting and alhemy NWN2 od course !!!!

In Storyline "Pokemon or Dragon Age 2)

In athomsphere ( NWN 2, Oblivion )

Edited by Ulquiorra
  • Like 1

Looking at the 3 Infinity Engine franchises + ToEE I think 90% of what I'm hoping for is found in those.

- Plot about the scale of (core) Baldur's Gate II, personal, large in scope but not world defining.  City Areas on about the scale and desnsity of Athakala.

- Icewind Dale for general quality of atmosphere and level design particularly in outdoor environments, as well as variety of fights and loot.

- Planescape for quality of character writing.  Much as I love Planescape it's pretty much its own thing and much of it isn't very transferable.

- ToEE for level of tactics in combat, and for quality of character/monster animation.