Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

They do have a professional editor to keep all the writers in line. And the original Torment had eight writers...

the original torment had MCA, which counts as like, 10 more writers, so torment actually had 18 writers and none of them slept ever and all they did was work 120 hours a week for peanuts and brandy

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I do give props to Colin for this tweet :)

I know Gaider didn't consider it a criticism either, but perhaps some of my time on BSN has me take "interactive movie" as too much of a pejorative.

Much easier to rally behind "Dragon Age and us do something different, and we want to leverage the advantages of our gamestyle to its fullest in a way that can be more challenging for Dragon Age."

• Like 1

I know Gaider didn't consider it a criticism either, but perhaps some of my time on BSN has me take "interactive movie" as too much of a pejorative.

Much easier to rally behind "Dragon Age and us do something different, and we want to leverage the advantages of our gamestyle to its fullest in a way that can be more challenging for Dragon Age."

I am always interested in whether people like Gaider and McComb really like each other. There must be loads of professional rivalry and even on a personal level I'm sure all these writers want to be known by the fans as the "best Fantasy RPG  writer ever". They all are so talented but sometimes I assume there style gets dictated to by a Publisher?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There's probably rivalry the same way that Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley always went at each other, but were pretty much best friends off the court.

I know Gaider is a huge fan of Avellone (I believe he even willingly would give Avellone the title of best Fantasy RPG writer too).  I know they get together and hang out at conventions all the time and hang out after the events have finished up for the day.

If you check Mike Laidlaw's twitter, there's a chat with him and Avellone (and some other designers) talking about the various things they should do at PAX East.  I think there's a greater chance that they all respect each other since, as they are all game developers, they can understand the challenges that can come with making games.

Mike has contributed to loads of Kickstarters, and I believe both he and Gaider are huge Torment fans to boot.

I am always interested in whether people like Gaider and McComb really like each other. There must be loads of professional rivalry and even on a personal level I'm sure all these writers want to be known by the fans as the "best Fantasy RPG  writer ever". They all are so talented but sometimes I assume there style gets dictated to by a Publisher?

For the most part, yeah, especially if studios are close together. The Blizzard and Interplay guys used to get along great, and now inXile and Obsidian are pretty close. BioWare's a bit further away geographically and that tends to be a factor more than anything, heh, but in my experience it's a lot more likely for there to be bad blood between producers and creative people or producers and producers than between creative people and creative people.

Edited by Brother None

inXile line producer

There's probably rivalry the same way that Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley always went at each other, but were pretty much best friends off the court.

I know Gaider is a huge fan of Avellone (I believe he even willingly would give Avellone the title of best Fantasy RPG writer too).  I know they get together and hang out at conventions all the time and hang out after the events have finished up for the day.

If you check Mike Laidlaw's twitter, there's a chat with him and Avellone (and some other designers) talking about the various things they should do at PAX East.  I think there's a greater chance that they all respect each other since, as they are all game developers, they can understand the challenges that can come with making games.

Mike has contributed to loads of Kickstarters, and I believe both he and Gaider are huge Torment fans to boot.

Thats good to know, I would think they do share a common respect for each other. It reminds me of some of my favorite fantasy writers, like Steven Erikson and George R R Martin, you often see other writers endorsing there novels like Stephen R. Donaldson

For the most part, yeah, especially if studios are close together. The Blizzard and Interplay guys used to get along great, and now inXile and Obsidian are pretty close. BioWare's a bit further away geographically and that tends to be a factor more than anything, heh, but in my experience it's a lot more likely for there to be bad blood between producers and creative people or producers and producers than between creative people and creative people.

Good points especially around the geography, quick question Brother. Are you involved in Numenera at all? You always seems to have some interesting and relevant views around the game.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am pretty sure he has stated so in this thread (implicitly at least).

There was a poster on the Wasteland 2 forums with special text named Brother None, so I assume it's the same chap from there.

Okay but what is his involvement, is he a Dev or a Moderator or involved in Marketing? Its always good to get views, if possible, from people part of any KS or gaming project

John Milton 

Brother None was previously a game journalist, mainly at gamebanshee.com; he is now an official employee of inXile, is involved in the Torment kickstarter, and speaks from that capacity. He's been around for a long time round these parts.

Brother None was previously a game journalist, mainly at gamebanshee.com; he is now an official employee of inXile, is involved in the Torment kickstarter, and speaks from that capacity. He's been around for a long time round these parts.

Okay, thanks. That answers my question nicely :)

John Milton 

Update # 9

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts

Very excited !!

Mr. Nameless One himself may be working on his favourite project's spiritual successor (I think from a half remembered quote)

Let's see what semi-essential thing food stuff I should forgo to up something that I've already overpledged to..... sweets, the occasional quality wine or the daily espresso?

To misquote ToTN: What is (a) MCA worth?

• Like 2

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

And for the 15,000,000 stretch goal will tear down the walls of Edgar Allan Poe's last home, rummage through droves of walled-up cats to get to his body and recuscitate it. Then, they'll remove the hairballs in his throat, and he'll crow: "Must make Torment creepy!"

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Update # 9

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts

Very excited !!

Mr. Nameless One himself may be working on his favourite project's spiritual successor (I think from a half remembered quote)

Let's see what semi-essential thing food stuff I should forgo to up something that I've already overpledged to..... sweets, the occasional quality wine or the daily espresso?

To misquote ToTN: What is (a) MCA worth?

Woo! About bloody time they revealed this :)

• Like 1

Haha at this point they should just merge studios.

:grin:

Good point

Its good to see such synergy between developers

John Milton 

if i remember correctly, in fallout 2 they assigned writers to different regions, which is partly why some regions ended up a bit incongruous

This is done since wasteland. It was done in Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas, etc. The thing that made Fo2 feel... not so good... every once in a while is because it lacked a complete project oversight. Every designer worked on his stuff, then everything was put together and... there was no time anymore to polish up everything.

/Edit: And I don't like that everyone is ignoring Guido Henkel. :> People act as if he never existed. Pretty sure PS:T would look a lot worse today if he wouldn't have been there.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Haha at this point they should just merge studios.

:grin:

Good point

Its good to see such synergy between developers

This is almost just like the good ol' Interplay and Black Isle days.

:biggrin:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Who would accuse Gaider of being the best fantasy RPG writer ever?

Anyway, as a backer of the game, I'm wondering who here hasn't kicked and is man or woman enough to get us MCA before the Kickstarter ends.

Obsidian is still relying on publisher contracts as its business model though while InXile decides to rely on Kickstarter. So I guess its pretty unlikely to merge.

That's not necessarily true, their last major product was published by Bethesda. Edited by AGX-17