Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

I always chuckle when I see one of those diplomatic "No offense, followed by offense" statements.

Pretty much every statement that begins with "no offense" follows with a thinly veiled put down.  The same pattern goes for "Don't get me wrong, yada yada yada, <insert put down here>" and "Don't take this the wrong way, <insert put down here>".

I'd like to think that it was more of a case of being brutally honest, rather than intentionally mean spirited or boastful.  Okay, maybe a little boastful, but that's understandable.  I mean, they ARE trying to sell a game.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

New soundtrack 

http://kotaku.com/5991425/a-new-music-track-from-the-planescape-torment-successor

Titled "The Bloom"

The Bloom is a vast, semi-sentient predator, a monstrous, organic creation that extends its tendrils through the folds of reality. Its pathways, nooks, and crannies conceal terrors and wonders alike, and for those daring or desperate souls who are forced to find refuge here, any step has the potential to send them to another world. It's a hub, a center of commerce for those who trade in the relics of other worlds.

Edited by Zoma
  • Like 2

I like the somewhat chittering background ambience, but the melody in this is mostly absent, intentional to foster an air of wary unpleasantness?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Update 8, including Zeits video, more stretch goals, details on The Bloom, etc.

I have to admit, I don't know who Pat Rothfuss is either, but he does have a super manly beard in the picture, which is definitely a plus.  

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

isn't there a novelist named rothfuss?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

isn't there a novelist named rothfuss?

One and the same.  He wrote something called The Kingkiller Chronicles.  Can't say I read any of them so I can't comment.  Still, that beard is GLORIOUS.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Never heard of that Rothfuss guy. Is his writing any good?

It's ****ing AMAZING. Well, perhaps not THAT amazing (his Kingkiller books are pretty standard fare in regard to the story and worldbuilding), but his prose is exceptional, almost on par with Bradbury's.

A demonstration:

"A Silence of Three Parts

IT WAS NIGHT AGAIN. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind it would have sighed through the trees, set the inn’s sign creaking on its hooks, and brushed the silence down the road like trailing autumn leaves. If there had been a crowd, even a handful of men inside the inn, they would have filled the silence with conversation and laughter, the clatter and clamor one expects from a drinking house during the dark hours of night. If there had been music…but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.

Inside the Waystone a pair of men huddled at one corner of the bar. They drank with quiet determination, avoiding serious discussions of troubling news. In doing this they added a small, sullen silence to the larger, hollow one. It made an alloy of sorts, a counterpoint.

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened for an hour, you might begin to feel it in the wooden floor underfoot and in the rough, splintering barrels behind the bar. It was in the weight of the black stone hearth that held the heat of a long dead fire. It was in the slow back and forth of a white linen cloth rubbing along the grain of the bar. And it was in the hands of the man who stood there, polishing a stretch of mahogany that already gleamed in the lamplight.

The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes from knowing many things.

The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die."

Despite the grimdarkness of the first chapter, it's a pretty light-hearted, fun read :)

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

So basically the Innkeepers married with children?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So basically the Innkeepers married with children?

Not really.

"She grinned. "I have an apple that thinks it is a pear," she said, holding it up. "And a bun that thinks it is a cat. And a lettuce that thinks it is a lettuce."

"It's a clever lettuce then."

"Hardly," she said with a delicate snort. "Why would anything clever think it was a lettuce?"

"Even if it is a lettuce?" I asked.

"Especially then," she said. "Bad enough to be a lettuce. How awful to think you are a lettuce too." She shook her head sadly, her hair following the motion as if she were underwater."

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

im worried about having too many chefs in the kitchen

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The main narrative and maintaining style and tone is going to be more difficult. I don't particular like the main quest lines of most RPGs, exceptions are VtMB and Fallout ('97), so it probably won't effect me much. The more writers the more depth they can add to the world and side quests. I haven't played it but people say that it worked in Wasteland. Would that be 8 writers at $3.25m? That might be a bit excessive.

if i remember correctly, in fallout 2 they assigned writers to different regions, which is partly why some regions ended up a bit incongruous

Edited by entrerix

I imagine there's some level of distribution for the bulk of the writing, but I'm not really worried about having "too many cooks in the kitchen" so to speak.  They'll likely still work together and peer review the work to help deal with thematic consistencies and whatnot.

From http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/03/concerning-games-torment-and-a-sense-of-play/

“We don’t want you to write *all* of game,” Colin said. “Maybe just a side area. Subplot. A piece.”

later....

“How much writing are we talking about here?” I ask.

“Maybe 10,000 words,” Colin says. “More if you like. Less if you need it to be less.”

“Could I maybe help with some of the character arcs too?” I ask. “I’m pretty good with character. You could use me as a sounding board if nothing else, and ignore me if you think I’m being an idiot.”

“Um…. let me think,” Colin says sarcastically. I can hear the smile in his voice. “A chance to chat with you about stories and character development. I think the answer to that is…. yes. “

Free games updated 3/4/21

Patrick Rothfuss will be helping out on this game!

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/03/concerning-games-torment-and-a-sense-of-play/

Edit:ah damnit beaten to it.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.