Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

The rewards are a bit confusing, probably too complicated. Not a fan of the soundtrack being a reward, especially not in MP3 V0, I'm just going to rip it from the game. Hi-res map and concept art as separate rewards? Why is the concept art book low-res? Isn't a map coming with the players guide or manual, why wouldn't it be hi-res? Digital reward only tiers don't seem to compare well to the physical tiers, especially considering that physical copies cost a lot more than bandwidth.

Ok, i finally caved in and donated 77 bucks. But now i can officially say that i am a bit fatigued at the moment...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The rewards are a bit confusing, probably too complicated. Not a fan of the soundtrack being a reward, especially not in MP3 V0, I'm just going to rip it from the game. Hi-res map and concept art as separate rewards? Why is the concept art book low-res? Isn't a map coming with the players guide or manual, why wouldn't it be hi-res? Digital reward only tiers don't seem to compare well to the physical tiers, especially considering that physical copies cost a lot more than bandwidth.

Soundtrack will be offered in FLAC as well.

A map is not concept art.

The concept art book is not low-res, but hi-rest concept art will likely be spread before the concept art is, and the concept art book may have size edits or overlapping text, and not everyone will be willing or able to manually extract images from it (it will be PDF). Hi-res concept art is a nice extra.

The map mentioned specifically is the digital version of the cloth map, it won't be in the player's guide or manual.

Digital/physical balance is always tricky, but digital does get more extras like alpha/beta access, additional copies, and the different text and sound bonuses well before physical does. The 65 physical box is relatively barebones, compared to its surrounding digital versions.

It's not the early bird mechanic I'm seeing... it's sell out of x pledge and it's price goes of 5, 10, 15 or 25, depending on where it started. When that tier sells out it goes up again by the same amount. By the end of this thing I suspect what started out as $95 will be around $150 and what started at $250 will be around $350.

The $95 CE tier has already capped out, at $135, where it is unlimited. We either go unlimited at some point if it makes sense to us or stop expanding the tiers. It works pretty much like any early bird and limited sales system,

I'm here to answer questions/listen to feedback or receive abuse if anyone needs to vent. I was too busy to check in with you guys for a while. How you enjoyin' the campaign?

Edited by Brother None

inXile line producer

I'm here to answer questions/listen to feedback or receive abuse if anyone needs to vent. I was too busy to check in with you guys for a while. How you enjoyin' the campaign?

I don't have any questions for you (at the moment), nor do I need to vent, but I do want to give you a hug.

/eHugs Brother None

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

maybe torment fans are just moar hardcore than other rpg fans?

would partially explain the initial burst of pledges and the faster leveling out (there are fewer, but more enthusiastic pledgers?)

i dunno, just a not-thought-out theory

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It is at 40k backers now. Doesn't surprise me that it is slowing down so hard. I don't think that it will go high above 60k backers.

I personally didn't pledged anything yet, because I really don't want to bother with my credit card stuff right now. I am waiting for the PayPal website to appear.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Soundtrack will be offered in FLAC as well.

Yes, I see it the FAQ now, I usually use search for answers but KickStarter for some reason hides FAQ answers.

A map is not concept art.

I didn't say it was.

The concept art book is not low-res, but hi-rest concept art will likely be spread before the concept art is, and the concept art book may have size edits or overlapping text, and not everyone will be willing or able to manually extract images from it (it will be PDF). Hi-res concept art is a nice extra.

So the hi-res and the non-hi-res is the same resolution but you'll have to extract it from a PDF?

The map mentioned specifically is the digital version of the cloth map, it won't be in the player's guide or manual.

Well I guess that's OK if it's not particularly useful for playing the game.

Digital/physical balance is always tricky, but digital does get more extras like alpha/beta access, additional copies, and the different text and sound bonuses well before physical does. The 65 physical box is relatively barebones, compared to its surrounding digital versions.

The physical rewards get additional copies, the digital rewards don't apart from one tier at $80. $65 is barebones compared to $50 apart the $20 additional add-on you'd have to get for them to be comparable, but I imagine that the postage and packing, the physical items that have to be made, make up around 20% of that (at least that's around what the DFA rewards were). So for paying more for the digital you're getting 3 extra novellas and hi-res concept art that if I understand it right, comes with the $8 add on digital concept art book.

The $80 tier vs the $125 seem fair, you're paying less for the same in digital plus you get beta access, you're funding the game more in proportion, but the $130 vs $275, and the $350 vs $525 I don't think come close considering the physical gets nearly all the digital rewards as well. If you take out the costs for the physical rewards and the funding for an equivalent digital tier that is mostly there with the physical reward, that's around $70 or $90 for the physical rewards. Unless people planned to donate beyond their reward level anyway, it makes no sense to get a digital reward above the $80 tier, even if you live outside the US, as far as I can tell. Beta access add on is $20.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

It is at 40k backers now. Doesn't surprise me that it is slowing down so hard. I don't think that it will go high above 60k backers.

I personally didn't pledged anything yet, because I really don't want to bother with my credit card stuff right now. I am waiting for the PayPal website to appear.

PayPal has been up and running for a couple of days now (that's how I made my pledge).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Interesting. I was waiting for an update regarding this, but I must have overlooked it...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Same with me.

EDIT:

Poor blind mamoo :(

Here's the link for PayPal pledging.

Thanks for the link :)

Have to carefully decide what tier is good for me, the campaign started in little bit bad time for me... spent over 250 EUR in february on various Pathfinder rule books and adventure paths, so I am little bit "fatigued" now...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

OK.  They will have a relatively small amount of my moneys.  I have some reservations, but I figure that, if this does see the light of day, I'm certainly going to buy it relatively early on and give it a spin.  And I've got the disposable income to forget about $25 every now and again, so why not. 

• Like 1

maybe torment fans are just moar hardcore than other rpg fans?

would partially explain the initial burst of pledges and the faster leveling out (there are fewer, but more enthusiastic pledgers?)

i dunno, just a not-thought-out theory

The flattening out of contributions is normal for a KS like this; the biggest growth is at the beginning and the end of the drive. PE followed the same sort of contribution curve, so I'm expecting a similar thing here. The last three days is when the fun starts.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Here's the link for PayPal pledging.

I like this because now everyone who says they missed an oopportunity to pledge due to tiers being used  or time zones will have no excuse :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You can just pledge the lower price via PayPal and still receive the reward?

Only as long as they are still available on PayPal.  They stated the limited tiers will only be available on PayPal as long as they are available on Kickstarter.  They may be available on PayPal for a little bit longer, but just as long as it takes them to notice that the Kickstarter tier has been fully bought out and to make the necessary changes.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I decided to back this after looking at the sample art and taking into consideration the creative team is pretty effing awesome.

I was reluctant to, though. I tend to mistrust claims of "spiritual successorship"; I don't like a new game riding on an old (and much beloved) game's laurels, especially when we know it can't be a true sequel. Honestly, if you say, "Old skool style RPG based in Monte Cooke setting with surrounding themes of beliefs, memory, mortality, and suffering," then you have me sold. But you lose me again when you start saying, "And it's gonna be like Torment! It's gonna be called Torment! It's going to be Torment, except without the setting or characters of Torment." Then I'm like, "So, you don't think your game is good enough to sell on its awesome premise alone, so you're going to grab nostalgic gamers by the balls by invoking another game title--and then subsequently raise expectations way, way, way too freaking high."

There's also of course the fact that Wasteland 2 isn't even done yet. We don't know if inXile can deliver yet. Right now, my gut says I can trust they will, but it's the video game industry, and **** happening in the video game industry is just part of the whole deal.

But I ignored all the wank about Torment, read otherwise the proposal of what the game was going to be like, looked at the art, read the creative team bios, and I thought, "Okay, I can risk throwing $20 at this, it'll probably be pretty dang good." (But personally I wouldn't risk more than that.)

In short: it looks like a good game. I just wish they made the appearance of believing in their game enough to try to sell it on its own merits rather than on another game's.

Edited by DeathQuaker
  • Like 3

*snip*

*sigh*

Tell me... did you back Project Eternity by any chance?

Yes. Also because it looked like a good game made by a good design team.

And while we're here, it was also a little less overt with the "spiritual successor to X!" claims -- at least what I read of it talked about it being made in the vein of older games like Baldur's Gate II and Torment without saying it was somehow part of those franchises, which is different than actually getting the rights to and using the franchise name again. To me they were saying to expect a certain kind of mechanics and style of play and writing as opposed to expect a repetition of/revisitation to setting/theme.

Edited by DeathQuaker
  • Like 1

Yes. Also because it looked like a good game made by a good design team

And while we're here, it was also a little less overt with the "spiritual successor to X!" claims -- at least what I read of it talked about it being made in the vein of older games like Baldur's Gate II and Torment without saying it was somehow part of those franchises, which is different than actually getting the rights to and using the franchise name again. To me they were saying to expect a certain kind of mechanics and style of play and writing as opposed to expect a repetition of/revisitation to setting/theme.

How much less overt is it when the pitch video spends more time name-dropping Obsidian's/Black Isles's old titles and talking about the kickstarter publishing model than the game itself? You talk about Torment not trying to sell itself with its premise while Project Eternity had practically none!

Heck, with all the Infinite Engine game screenies they used, I expect some people to get their jimmies muy rustled if anything is different

I now know more about Torment and its right to have its name than I knew about Project Eternity several weeks into the Kickstarter.

Edited by Nordicus

And while we're here, it was also a little less overt with the "spiritual successor to X!" claims

Maybe a little, but the differences aren't so great that you couldn't make the exact same whine arguments about P:E. If you backed one, there isn't really any good reason not to back the other.

The reason they want to mention PS:T is that there are a lot of people who have no idea who Monte Cook is. Like me, I had no idea who he is, because I don't follow Dungeons and Dragons lore at all. I just play the games + the tabletop game (with completely made up worlds and settings)

However, mentioning PS:T piqued my interest. And that's the reason I'll be investing later. Then, I learned about Monte Cook and the rest of the team.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/