Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

if im not mistaken, kickstarter 3 million is worth more to a developer than a publisher's 3 million, because the developer owns the IP from a kickstarter

Depends.

BioWare owned the Mass Effect IP even though Microsoft published the game.

It's likely a negotiating point, however.

Being specifically technical, if Microsoft gives you $3 million, then you get $3 million (and whatever terms with that).  When kickstarter gives you $3 million, you get $3 million less the deductions that Amazon/Kickstarter will take (and any obligation to fulfill physical product manufacturing for the various tiers)

well the problem with chris taylor being honest is most people don't care.... you are only as good as your best games, and chris taylors best games are pretty lousy imo

that poor bastard must be crapping out broken glass right about now...

kickstarter fatigue indeed.

Edited by NerdBoner

The publishers did not know the demand yet exists.

I'd disagree, publishers probably do know that demand exists, they just think that insufficient demand exists for their purposes. Most publishers simply do not care about projects at that scale, as their fixed costs are set up for $20 million games selling 2 million+ copies, not $5 million games selling maybe 500k. If you look at something like P:E or WL2 they are scheduled to take less time than, say, Mass Effect 2 or 3, but not proportionately less time- the ME game may have 4+x the budget but it does not take four+ times as long to make. As such they will always target a high absolute return over a high relative return. Such titles, especially retro ones, are also fundamentally contra the sorts of things that publishers like EA, Valve, Squeidos or whoever tend to like- lots of dlc, monetisation, drm and lock in. You won't get many publishers disowning those things (last I can recall was Paradox, lying blatantly, and CDP/R, who actually lived up to it) as many kickstarters do.

How much honest discussion do fans really want? How much 'honest discussion' do two people in a romantic relationship really want? How much 'honest feedback' do you really want from your teacher? How much 'honest discussion' is sensible as opposed to suicide in a relationship between fifteen dudes and several tens of thousands of people who are giving them money for services? We saw with Chris Taylor that honesty doesn't get you very far.

I'm probably not the best person to ask this to, because my answer to most of these questions is actually yes (it wasn't always).  It's one thing to pick your battles, but I really appreciate it when someone is straight up honest with me since I know it's not easy for us to do.

Right, but you can see how it would quickly lead to a lot of grief for a lot of people. In my mind honesty is always a two-way street. The other person has to be ready to not only trust you, but at least hear you out fully, to have a reasonably similar ground for understanding, etc. Honesty in PR doesn't work when people don't read half of what you say and are used to wild speculation based on what they hear, etc.

well the problem with chris taylor being honest is most people don't care.... you are only as good as your best games, and chris taylors best games are pretty lousy imo

Heresy, SupCom and TA were great :p

Wonder if I should back this now.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Right, but you can see how it would quickly lead to a lot of grief for a lot of people. In my mind honesty is always a two-way street. The other person has to be ready to not only trust you, but at least hear you out fully, to have a reasonably similar ground for understanding, etc. Honesty in PR doesn't work when people don't read half of what you say and are used to wild speculation based on what they hear, etc.

I understand that.  And I agree that Brian is very smart.  He founded a large corporation that was dedicated to making video games which is no small feat.

The problem I find is that there's a lot of assumptions that people have about the way business works, so when you see something that is in progress, it often doesn't look very good at all.  Heck, I'm in QA and that leads people to all sorts of assumptions about what my everyday job is like for no other reason than their imaginations.

I don't think that's quite fair, SupCom was a pretty good game. 

However, I will say that I found the Wildman KickStarter extremely lackluster. There was nothing about the trailer and footage shown that got me excited about it at all, and I think in the end its the reason why the game failed to get funded (along with the whole laying everyone off thing). 

I think we'll see the same thing for the Victory KickStarter going right now. Petroglyph has been around for a while, but the general game concept is uninspiring and not many pledges are coming in because of it. 

Edited by Thingdo

Just gave $110. Fell pretty damn good. Really want to get my hands on a Numenera rulebook now.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wow guys, there have been some very generous donations from this website IMO.

Nice one :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So I'm a backer at the $110 tier but only because the $95 tier was sold out, oddly enough I can't see any difference between the two tiers, anyone know?

95$ was the limited cheaper version tier :) Like the 20$ to 25$. :)

Also the one tier is $15 more expensive, thats another difference?  8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Something else to be aware of. Brian Fargo agreed to pledge 10 % of everything over $1 million

So he is already in for $46 k

I wonder if he is nervous about what his final pledge is going to be? I doubt it as I am sure he can afford it. :)

John Milton 

Something else to be aware of. Brian Fargo agreed to pledge 10 % of everything over $1 million

I wonder if he is nervous about what his final pledge is going to be? I doubt it as I am sure he can afford it. :)

It does cut off at 2 million, so the max he'll pledge is $100K, which is a very significant sum even for a pretty affluent man like him, but he really wanted to put his money where his mouth is.

Thanks for all the support guys!

• Like 1

inXile line producer

It does cut off at 2 million, so the max he'll pledge is $100K, which is a very significant sum even for a pretty affluent man like him, but he really wanted to put his money where his mouth is.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Okay that makes sense, and its reasonable.

I respect him even more for just agreeing to contribute his own money

• Like 1

John Milton 

Second update is up. The stretch goals seem to be pretty focused this time - choose protagonist gender at 1.2m (passed), two new writers and richer world at 1.5m, Monte Cook as writer, orchestra for Mark Morgan & additional companion at 2m. I'm actually in favour of this - I felt P:E offered far too many different kinds of in-game features as reward, and I'd like the designers to be able to make those decisions as they go without feeling contractually bound to do x and y and z. Besides which, Torment is where you just want them to write and developt he world, not add 6 different races for the character or something.

• Like 5

Second update is up. The stretch goals seem to be pretty focused this time - choose protagonist gender at 1.2m (passed), two new writers and richer world at 1.5m, Monte Cook as writer, orchestra for Mark Morgan & additional companion at 2m. I'm actually in favour of this - I felt P:E offered far too many different kinds of in-game features as reward, and I'd like the designers to be able to make those decisions as they go without feeling contractually bound to do x and y and z. Besides which, Torment is where you just want them to write and developt he world, not add 6 different races for the character or something.

I agree with you but having 6 races is more applicable to the PE type RPG than Torment. So I would want that from PE

• Like 1

John Milton 

I'll admit that seeing more of the game has served to alleviate a lot of my initial wariness.

It helped that it was McComb that delivered the pitch in the video IMO.

For myself, I can understand Fargo's desire for Wasteland 2.  With the pitch being delivered by McComb, it's easier to make the association for myself that this really is a game that he's wanted to make.

I still (and always will) have reservations about the name, but that's mostly because of my own understanding about how my own expectations will work.  That is, the exact same game with no expectation from me is almost always received better than one that I have a stronger reference point for.

However, from a fundraising perspective it's hard to argue with the success of the kickstarter drive.  With more funding the ability to apply those resources can certainly help make a superior game than otherwise.  In other words, it's very unlikely that the exact same game could be made under a different title.

• Like 2

That's a darn good pitch! Love the concept art, love the story, and the "Tides" mechanic sounds really cool. Hopefully it won't just be five color-coded solutions to every problem, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Backed $50. If I have more money at the end of the month I hope to increase that.

One thing I will nitpick is that the blob companion is stupid, but w/e.

i'm tremendously delighted that today true western RPG's are experiencing a renaissance. People are really eager to fund them and the fact that such games accumulate millions is the proof that the demand for non-action RPGs are high and action and Call of Duty-like RPGs will not infect the market completely.

Yet I'm kinda disappointed that inXile decided to stick with depressive and gloomy setting for their game. there's lack of bright settings nowdays, sadly. But that's just a very minor personal complaint - I have faith in Fargo and wish them luck.

• Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

"I respect him even more for just agreeing to contribute his own money"

So.. you respect him for doing what any person who owns his company own company should do? Invest, and contribute to his own comapny's project? L0LZ

It should be expected not respected.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I respect him even more for just agreeing to contribute his own money"

So.. you respect him for doing what any person who owns his company own company should do? Invest, and contribute to his own comapny's project? L0LZ

It should be expected not respected.

Its easy to say that yet I haven't seen any other KS project CEO agree to this.

So even though you may say "they should so this " they don't do it.

So lets give him credit for this?

• Like 1

John Milton